Thread: HH softshell

Widdler

I'm after a softshell that's mega breathable, for mountain walking and stuff but also for ski touring, so want one that'sgot a hood, chest pockets etc.I saw this HH softshell going cheap:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=14249Does anyone have any experience of this or the fabric? Is it any good? I've not been able to find any reviews..Or, has anyone got any recommendations?Cheers.

Joe,

I don't know that particular garment, but HH did do some nice softshell jackets using their equivalent of Schoeller fabrics called Interface-B (as in this review) I haven't bought any of their single-layer softshell stuff as it isn't really a product that appeals to me. But I know HH range pretty well and have cupboards full of kit from their Bicester Village Outlet. Much of which has been excellent. If you live anywhere near, I would certainly advise calling in to their shop because, in amongst the rubbish cheap fleeces and raingear, there are some excellent outdoor bargains to be had, especially for trail running & biking. I just picked up the stunningly light Mars windshell for £15, for exampl, and have also found Trailwizard leggings in there for a fiver.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

That item doesn't really tell you much, does it? And google doesn't bring up any more information...

The only HH soft shells I've seen were in TKM, and they were in a Schoeller Dryskin type fabric; stretch outer with soft inner face. I've not seen this one, though. If it's in the same fabric as the one I seen, it would meet your requirements for breathability.

One of Helly's problems is that it doesn't really know what it is as a brand in my opinion. They have a long history and have meant a lot of things to a lot of people. So in amongst an amazing array of different products (most of which are essentially fashion items) they have some absolute gems for outdoor enthusiasts. The Motive windshell, now replaced by the Mars/Venus, has to be one of my most used bits of kit. Of course, their LIFA baselayers are known throughout; as is their sailing gear. But I have found many items from their V-concept series to be extremely good; and I have had good value out of their waterproof mountain jackets.

Perhaps you could call the website and ask them more about the product - fabric content etc. This link should tell you more but it doesn't work from my PC

http://www.hellyhansen.com/W06/index...ription=active

John

I should also say that thanks to their lack of clarity in marketing, it is very difficult to get good information from their websites!!The Verglasjacket that used to be marketed at Alpine mountaineers is now listed as a backcountry ski/snowboarding shell. The design has changed a bit - but it would still serve in both categories!

I got almost to that page via Google's cache, but it wasn't very active. The direct HH one seems to just about work. Funny that a search on HH website didn't find the News jkt.

Description
    We've combined the best aspects of our most technical â??hard shellâ? jackets with the smooth comfort and mobility of modern Softshell construction. The News Jacket is a piece you can take to the top of the mountain and it will never impede your style or fluidity.

Technologies
    InterfaceWA weather resistent, stretch-woven soft shell fabric that's perfect for any high-energy activity.

INTERFACEâ?˘
    InterFaceâ?˘ is used in our soft shell products. It's a soft-textured, stretch-woven fabrication that's perfect for any high-energy activity in variable conditions. It's also, a dynamic stretch and non-bulky layering option for cold and wet mountain days.

Features
    360 Degree Stretch
    Pit Zip Venting
    Full-Time Storm Hood
    Wedge Lockâ?˘ Hood Adjustment

The old SS I saw was the Rapide.

I have to say that I'm less than impressed with the HH website. But hey, I shouldn't be surprised; it's implemented in Flash. Oh, what a surprise...

> it is very difficult to get good information from their websites

Funny, I thought that, too...

Shopping at the Helly outlet in Bicester is probably the best way I know to learn to distinguish good kit from rubbish with no additional information! They have had everything come through the doors there - from eVent jackets (apparently Helly tried this out despite having their own laminate...) toPertex windshells to Merino-mix hiking socksto Primaloft Vests. But the staff are so clueless and there's so much junk that you have to know what you are looking at before they try to sell you something entirely unsuitable.

From the description you managed to track down, CP, I reckon that it would be a pretty good softshell if you like that kind of kit.

> From the description you managed to track down, CP, I reckon that it would be a pretty good softshell if you like that kind of kit.

Provided there isn't a membrane hidden in there somewhere, I think I agree.

Best to ask CRC to comment. It might even be better to ask a real world test: "Can you blow though the fabric when your lips are pressed against it?"

Just noticed the assymetrical colour scheme.

It's 'Penguin', apparently...

Yup... another thing Helly's been doing all over the place. Symmetry is out this season apparently. Which much make me bloody fashionable given my distinctly asymmetric body!

Widdler
    Cheers for help guys, might give it a go - can always send it back if it's crap.