Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terra Nova Laser comp

Mini Goon

I'm looking at getting a TN laser comp for a 3 (possibly 6)month backpacking trip, but im not sure wether the tent will be big enough for my needs. Im not incredibly tall (5'11" ), but ive got a 65L rucksack. idbe really interested to findhow otherusers of this tent (and any of the lasers for that matter) finditfor size, orIf anyone knows what shops near leeds have one of these pitched.

the best price ive seen for it is £180, is there anywhere that has it for cheaper?

Kieran

Hi Kieran. I've had a Laserlite for a few years and it's a great tent. I'm 5'10" and find i have plenty of room. I use a 50L frameless sack (ULA Conduit) that uses a Gossamer Gear Torso pad as it's back panel, so the sack becomes part of my sleeping system. There isn't a huge amount of space inside so a conventional 65L sack might take up too much room inside and might have to be stored in the porch. Not a big issue, i wouldn't think. The longest i've used it for is 2 weeks so i don't know howit would be for a 3/6 month trek.

‹bermensch tdave@walkeryri.org.uk's Avatar

I've got the Laser and my mate's got the Competition (but he's not a big fella) and i find the Laser as spacious. I'm about the same height as you and the tent is long enough.

The porch is massive (despite some magazines in the past complaining it was too small - guess who that was?) and you can easily fit a rucksack and boots, plus supplies in there. I've had a couple of stacker boxes in there on some weekends with food/beer/etc in.

I can usually fit my sac and boots inside.

I'll put up a link below to some more pics of the inside.

Laser and Competition (to the rear).

laser galleryfor more pics from the above series.

Mm, soon as it dries up shall rush out and erect my lazerlite to see if it does the "string thing" too. You live and learn.

Hi, I have a Laserlite and find it has more than enough spacefor my needs on short backpacking trips. I am something like 5'10 or 5'11 and space is no problem - the foot ofmy sleeping bag can sometimes get slightly damp with condensation where it touches thetent inner. I am a big fan of the side entrance to the tent - easy to get in to andless claustrophobic. I normally would leave my rucksac in the tent porch, which is no problem. Maybe the question on a longer trip might be whetheryouwouldappreciate more space if you are stuck in the tent for a prolonged period of bad weather. Cooking in the porch might be a bit tricky and require care.

Worry not, I am six foot and am happy to proclaim the Laserlite/comp/photon the king of tents.

I know of two people who have just completed the GR20 sharing a Laserlite tent. Cosy but they managed.

I'm well pleased with mine (but I'm only 5' 6" ) however I don't think I've ever sussed those vents ....lol

Well, I'm 5'11", and chuffed with my Laser Comp. Plenty space inside for you and gear, and rucksack (65l Berghaus) in the porch, with plenty room to cook... £180 is good, I got mine from Taunton Leisure for £185 - don't think you'd find it much cheaper to be honest.

Outside Corrour Bothy....

Terra nova laser on offer @ w.gear-zone.co.uk. £172.99

Also lighter models @ w.upandrunning.co.uk.

Good hunting.....

Mini Goon

Some great advice and photo's of the tent, but what's the best way to pitch it into the wind/gale?

I have a Coleman Viper (Terra Nova Minor copy) and found that it is pretty stable with either hoop end into the wind. Though the foot end is preferable.

Cheers, Calum

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar

Although the Viper and the Laser family have one hoop, the hoop on the Laser type tents goes across the tent instead of along it like the Viper. With a Viper you would try and pitch with the pool in the same line as the wind, however with a Laser type tent I think most people streamline it so the pole is actually against the wind as the shape of the tent takes the wind. I know there both single pole but as far as pitching in the wind there slightyl different in that way. Kind of the same way in which an Akto would be put with its end to the wind yet a Solar would be side on, if you know what I mean?

P.S. Still believe that the Coleman Viper is by a mile the best value tent on planet earth escpecially as it can be bought for about £40!

i bought a laser comp some time ago, and have used it quite a bit with no problems.

however, i recently used it in high winds camping in dorset. i reached the endof the trip and when i put it down i reasiles that my poles have a reasonably angular curve towards one end, but the other end is a smooth curve.

does anyone know whether this is intentional?i havnt noticed it before, but that might be down to my observational skills. my only thinking is that it might be designed that way, so that the porch side has one end and the sleeping side has the other end... ?

anyone got any thoughts?

‹bermensch
    It's supposed to be a smooth curve, so it sounds like yours has suffered a bit of damage. Replacement poles are available from TN.

The pole doesn't come "pre-bent" though it does retain an arched appearance after some use, mine is the same both ends, i suspect the wind "altered" yours.

Pitched on top of the heather as the moor was a bog, no damage to the groundsheet.

In the woods.

Speaking of TN Laser's, I'm 6ft4 an am in the market for a good one man tent. Any big guys got one ?

If not then any good recommendations ?

Thing i found with my comp is i was getting flapping in the wind and couldn't sleep as a result, i thought i was pitching it tight enough till terrybnd got his hands on it, pitch it tight then tighten everything somemore, i thought i might damage the tent by over stressing it but i now think the opposites true, if it's flapping things are going to get bent.

Looks much better pitched like a drum skin too.

Terrybnd's windy comp pitch on youtube.

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by twiglegs View Post

Thing i found with my comp is i was getting flapping in the wind and couldn't sleep as a result, i thought i was pitching it tight enough till terrybnd got his hands on it, pitch it tight then tighten everything somemore, i thought i might damage the tent by over stressing it but i now think the opposites true, if it's flapping things are going to get bent.

Looks much better pitched like a drum skin too.

Real solution? Ear plugs. I never leave home without them.

BTW, I'm 5'11' and my Laser Comp takes me and a 65L rucksack without any problem.