Thread: 8g Mini Pop Can Stove

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Hi All

After playing around with and testing the many pop can stove designs I've found online I finally found a way of making a two walled Trangia type one with the smaller pop cans or Schwepps mixer type cans.

I basically made the two bottom and top parts as normal and put them together, then I make a circular score mark round the middle of the top using a coin and made a perfect hole. Then simply cut a piece of rectangular aluminium from the scraps left over from the can that will simple make a chimney and drop into the hole. Its not permanent but that doesn't matter, you shouldn't need to make holes in the chimney piece as it doesn't fit perfect the meths goes through the bottom into the wall well anyway. Then make the usual holes using a drill or tool.

So its an 8g stove made for free and trust me it is actually surprisingly effective! It boils 400ml of water in good weather in about 6min 30sec. I tested this particular one on Lingmoor Fell summit a few weeks ago and made a lovely hot chocolate for the two of us in 10 minutes in really bad weather!

You made those holes with your tool?
    Well 'ard!

Ha Ha trust you eh! Are you suggesting my tool is that small!! ;-)

Widdler

great design, i have been lookin at some of these mini stoves as i quite fancy haveing a go at one.. can you tell me what can you use for the fuel for it?

many thanks

I am really most impressed with this post of yours here indeed Jamie, so thanks for posting details with a good set of pictures too! I have bookmarked it to check on how it develops, and look forward to seeing more as you get to test the home-made stove unit out more fully! Well done on detailing what looks a most interesting improvised tin-can type cooker unit! I want one now for myself!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul forsyth View Post
    can you tell me what can you use for the fuel for it?
    Methylated spirits Paul - and it would be dangerous to try anything else.

I had good success with this little beauty over the last year. Took the 8g mini version along to the OM Meet at Killin in the summer and did a few meals on it. It works really well on camp and also in good weather but in bad weather I found it sometimes needed topping up and took longer. In the end after doing this tiny one and then a normal sized one I decided the normal sized coke can stove weighing only 5g more was probably the better of the two as it worked faster and slightyl more efficiently in bad weather, in good weather the little one is just as effective as thenormal version though, although this one is truly unique and great fun! I was playing around for months trying different improvisations of the classics and then came up with that idea of just a roll of the can as the wall and fill area and to be honest its by far the easiest way to make them!

What about Coleman fuel then? Isn't that a similar type of thing? That is a real question there by the way, as I do not know what the Coleman fuel is actualy like myself, but I am guessing it is maybe a white spirit sort of a thing perhaps? Over in a big Coleman camping store in Denver, Colorado USA, the other year-amazing shop like a big Millets really, but just every single item from the Coleman own brand of outdoors/camping goods lines-we saw lots of the Coleman fuel stuff in there in fuel cans and bottles; I really only wish now that I had then asked this question, but it did not occur to me at the time to ask sadly!

Edit: after posting I found that Jon had answered the question "what is Coleman fuel" better in the "White Gas" thread last night.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    > What about Coleman fuel then? Isn't that a similar type of thing?

No, not at all. Coleman Fuel = White Gas = a pure petrol.

Not recommended for this application as it won't burn well at all, and will give a yellow flame and a lot of soot.

And probably more dangerous than alcohol in terms of explosion, combustion products and chemistry.

I've only ever used meths, plus if you add about 15% water to the meths, it lasts a lot longer but in my opinion still works the same and the biggest bonus of all of course is that it doesn't leave blac messy sutty stuff on your pot! You've got to see it to believe it but it really is true it leaves nothing on the pot!

I always do wonder where that old story comes from about tramps/down and outs in the fifties and sixties actually drinking meths! I don't even really know if it is true or not, but the stuff definitely is, I suppose much cheaper, than say normal run of the mill usual drinking alcohol. First place ever I came across meths was as a kid since they were then recommending that one cleaned ones Scaletrix track slots with it, so the cars ran more smoothly or something.

I mean,wow, if they did ever really have people drinking the stuff, then they must have been some really desperate folks yes?

meths is denatured alcohol, or, ethanol (ethyl alcohol - the normal drinking stuff) and methanol (methyl alcohol - the stuff that makes you go blind and kills you). usually around 90/10 mix. added so you can't drink it and the associated duty.

didn't stop people drinking it though so they added a few other nasty tasting bits and pieces as a further detterent.

i believe cough medicine was then discovered as an alternative to drink instead.....

Does the cough medicine work in any camping/outdoors stoves too then I wonder? Good survival situation trick if it does do! You can picture the situation can't you!

LET ME SET THE SCENE FOR YOU NOW!

You're lostupon the trail, deep in the Northern backwoods of Canada, and you have lost most of your kit to wild Bears-with a strange fetish for collecting great smelling outdoors kit. As I did tell you not to overdo your aftershave/Cologne by slapping it on all over, or at least not on your pack and clothing as well-So all you've got left is your trusty stove, but no meths as the alcoholic fur bag of a Bear drank that too; even though you luckily have that fact to thank precisely for your actual escape and continued survival ie see the film THE EDGE for a MEAN man hunting bear just like that one!

Suddenly by complete strike of pure chance of blind luck, and the simple kindness of fate,you come upon a cabin in the woods, deserted and empty but for a few useful stores items. A Kylie poster for Ian, a nice tent for Fossil maybe, some food cans, a sleeing bag, a hatchet,matches and candles, and a bigtin of meths! So now in total satisfied relief you think oh God, thank you, I am saved; asnow I can light my stove and eat and even cook that damn bear when I catch him as well!

SADLY though you discover disappointingly, the tin is empty...no meths...nothing fuel- wise in fact at allthere to light your stove, to life giving warmth of flame!!!!

Suddenly you find in a box, on a search of the cabin, a 100 bottles of cough syrup medicine!! The guy whose cabin it is must by amazing chance be an outdoors nut and a total complete hypochondriac as well!!! You are saved!!! The stove will now be lit, the bear will be cooked and you will survive to live to tell the whole amazing tale to all of your future children and grandchildren too!!!! Great!!!!

Parky! You missed answering, from the other day,my very silly-most likely-humourousquestion on the alcohol based coff medicine you mentioned, as being a potential improvised expedient emergency fuel for use in camping stoves!

"Improvise, adapt, overcome!" - Clint Eastwood in the film Heartbreak Ridge.