Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Munro bagging

Never done munro bagging before and as I'm considering taking on the challenge at the end of August, I wonder if anyone has any ideas of where a munro begginer should start?

I will probably take 2 weeks to do some walking etc and really want to head to the north of Scotland.
    I can't say I know everything about camping etc, but I've done enough trekking and camping on my own in south america and I'm still alive, so I'm a believer in 'learning through practice'..(just to give a rough idea of my basic knowledge, yet lack of fear of the unknown...)

Any takers?

Need more information, where are you based?

Initiate
    Get one of those maps with the munros on them. Pick an area where it looks like there are a few to keep you busy. Read up on the hills there and decide if you want to visit! Simple as that!
    Areas I'd reccomend in N Scotland (for a beginner). Fannichs, Some beautiful hills in Strathcarron to give you a flavour. If you find them fine, maybe head to Torridon.
    Not quite so far N as that would be somewhere like Aviemore - Fort william level. Loads to try in that belt, easier not so long days too, like Ben Teallach.

If you are going in August don't forget your midge repellant!!!

Buy yourself "100 Best Scottish Mountain Routes" by Ralph Storer, which includes a fair few Munros.

the good thing about it scores each walk (out of 5) in terms of the grade(1=easy walk, 5=hard scramble), terrain, navigation and seriousness.

So you are unlikely to bite off more than you can chew.

Yael - all of the above is sound advice, IMHO. You could also look at this site for others' experiences. Click on the name of the hill you're interested in, then click on Trip Reports. For a detailed account of a camping trip through the Fannaichs look here and here.

wow! this is fantastic stuff!
    Thanks so much. Clearly there's lots to look at, if anything I can see confusion coming on..

Doug- I'm based in London, so this isn't much to go about. I'm going to take the car and go up to the hills with my gear, so length of driving and stuff like that aren't a concern.

Any suggestions for extra-ordinary midge repellant?!

Unless you own a flame-thrower, Avon Skin So Soft body spray, Mozzy Off, or if you don't mind it DEET based repellants.

"Unless you own a flame-thrower,..."

A head-net wouldn't go amiss either.

Cameron McNiesh has published a book of the Munroes that has walking notes, maps etc. Watch out for his times though, he must be a real athelete to get around in the times given, ordinary plodders like me need a bit mor time!

Basing yourself in Avimore would give you easy access to a lot of hills as well as facilities and accomodation.

psml at the flame thrower Kinley ;o)

Thanks Ace.

Sounds good.
    Would this area iclude Munros that would take more than just one day trek? (or are they all a one-day activity? showing my Munro knowledge ignorance...)

Yael - If you fancy it, we are having an OM Meet in Scotland (i.e. munro bagging) at the end of August. You're welcome to come along and question us all you want

There's a thread about it.

That would be fantastic.

Is it in the OM trips to Scotland thread?
    are there any dates in mind already?!

It's here

Mini Goon
    If you're serious about becoming a "compleater", you might want to invest in one of these. I've never put mine up - the number ticked off is just too pathetic!!

Best investment in terms of reading material is the SMC Munros guide, easy to pick up on fleabay, 3rd and 4th editions are up to date with the 1997 revision of Munro status.

I'd 2nd David G's comments about the Ralph Storer book tho - the Munros are not the be all and end all of Scottish walking (but they're a damn fine start for a few years).

Instead of getting a wall chart, you could sign up to track them online on some clever bugger's website. ;O))

I've a spare Munros book btw. Anybody who brings either some McEwan's or a tenner to a meet can have it. Only one book going but if two people turn up with McEwan's we'll help them get rid of it. :O)

Also the Cicerone books:
    Volume 1
    Volume 2

Plus onlineMunroMagic and Scottish Hills

Oh, and the Pocket Mountains

The there's Ikea for the new bookcase to hold it all.

Yael, I'll be doing something similar, but late July/early August. I've not chosen an area next, but will probably do it randomly.

ok people. I asked for advice, not a mind blowing session that would require me to see a psychiatrist...

No, really, this is all so well appreciated!! I just don't know where to start with all this great imfo! I guess at the beginning, ha?

Duncan- I think I will need that Ikea shelf unit after all! and the idea of 'random ' is exactly what I'm talking about, but will be in Israel at end of July, beginning of August. If any chance you can go more mid-August, feel free to e-mail me to randomly think about an area (or flip a coin on one)

Ian- After I checked out if I am indeed a 'munroer' to be, I may just invest in that wall chart and will challenge you to get on with completing yours!..