Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddy's new book

I'm a big fan of Paddy Dillon's guide books. Just had a newsletter from Cicerone, The National Trails (isbn: 978 1 85284 504 9) is due for publication this autumn. Looks good....

Not yet listed in their upcoming books, but the info can be found here.

Ooh, nice deal they're dooing on books:
    Special Summer Offer!
    We are offering free first class postage (for all orders in the UK), PLUS an additional £1 off each book on orders of three or more books. Offer ends 31st July 2007.

I'll need to remember to find an Ikea on the way down to Englandshire next weekend. I need a new bookshelf for my growing outdoors media collection.

‹bermensch Nearly Normal Polar Bear's Avatar
    I visited Cicerone's stand at the London Book Fair in order to big up Paddy. They're a good company, the quality can be a bit uneven but their range can only be commended.

I just noticed this page on the FAQ:

Is Paddy Dillon Irish?

Listen to Paddy talking about his life as a walker on the latest Outdoors Station Podcast - go to iTunes, podcasts and enter Outdoors Station.

He does sound Irish to me

Mini Goon
    I know this is an old thread On the Cicerone site they now mention a 2009 print. Is that just another print or an updated version?

Banned

With regard to Cicerone guides in General I would say that they have gone down hill in recent years

With regard to the general standard of Cicerone guides I would say the quality has nose dived in recent years,I have over 60 of their books and early editions were good and accurate,however in recent times I'd say that is not the case,to give just one example Paddy Dillons revamp of June Parkers Walking in Majorca has more errors than you would believe,I don't think Cicerone can proof read any of their guides these days.If anyone is interested I can give a full list(of the errors I found) there are sure to be more in Dillons update of June Parkers book.My advice to anyone buying a Cicerone guide these days would be that they should expect to come across proof reading(I hope these are the only reasons) mistakes anywhere in the book.

Carlit,

I would have thought Cicerone would be very glad to receive your list of errors (and should credit you in the next issue). Have you tried telling them what you think?

I have a handful of cicerone guides - some older editions. I think Pete Hill's guides to Sport Climbing and Rock Climbing are an excellent reference. I enjoyed Simon Thompson's 'Unjustifiable Risk' (once it got going!) and reviewed it here (under the 'bomble' name ). And I was lucky enough to win one of Paddy's guides through his prize draw. I am not in a position to judge whether the quality has fallen but I still reckon they are a useful resource.

John

Carlit... send them a list as John suggests... and if any of them are valid points then they get sorted. As you're the only person so far to have a good moan about 'Walking in Mallorca', I'll be interested to see the list when it gets passed to me. As far as I can see, the quality of the guides continually increases, and I'm sure that the latest editions are more accurate than the older editions, because as things change, the details also get changed.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carlit View Post

Paddy Dillons revamp of June Parkers Walking in Majorca has more errors than you would believe
    You could always send the list direct to Paddy using the 'message member' function...

I'm assuming, of course, that you're concerned with matters of fact, rather than simple spelling or typographical errors. Whilst the latter may be annoying to the pedant, they're not going to put anyone at risk, as matters of fact might.

Banned

OK one example from Paddy Dillons edition of 'Walking in Mallorca' page 160 walk 27c. Read from highlighted word note,hight given 1882 for Puig d' en Galileu. As Paddy must know there is nothing on the Island this high.Its a stupid error and of course is not going to put anyone at risk,however when coming across mistakes like this(easy to spot) it could when a few others of the same nature are found sow a few doubts as to what else might be wrong and worse if it were in the actual text,as I said before these silly errors have been found in other Cicerone guides.As to whether Cicerone would want to know of this issue I'd hope they would,my point is this if the guides were proof read correctly then there would be at least fewer of this type of mistake,and of course I only spent 2 weeks on the island and only did 9 routes,if I had only found errors in this one book I'd not be over concerned, that I have found similar errors in other guides is my point.

Jolly good... consider it changed to 1182... which is the height given on the map anyway.

Banned
    Seems that you think I'm having a personal go Mr Dillon judging from your reply to my thread,so here are 2 more examples.(1) p124 walk 20 says see sketch map20 should read sketch map 7. (2) The photo on the front cover (caption opp contents page) reads walk 8b,wrong again, should this not read walk 30? Shall I go on?Sounds to me that you might be the type of guy who finds it difficult to take any form of criticism constructive or otherwise.If you can't see my point then not much hope for anything else you write.

Carlit... by all means go on... provide a full and frank list and I'll deal with them all!

I do not know carlit or PD personally, but it sounds to me like you are being a tad over sensitive carlit and unjustifiably offensive. "If you can't see my point then not much hope for anything else you write" looks like an over the top statement based on the brief exchanges here.

Banned
    Sand Dancer,yeah perhaps but as I have said my comments are not based on Paddy Dillons book alone but on Cicerone guides I have bought in recent times.When one regularly comes across errors of a similar nature then I think it is a fair to comment as the very nature of these errors certainly lead me at least to wonder just how accurate the route discriptions might be,lets be honest here it would only be on the ground that one would discover this.I look forward in 2 weeks to using another Cicerone guide book GR7 Spain,lets see how that pans out.As an aside I have 6of Paddy's guides ranging from Scotland through to his GR20 guide,I do not have a personal issue with this man at all,I do however expect a better standard of finish from a company who consider themselves the market leader in this form of publication.

You are, of course, entitled to have a view and it is fair to express those views.

My view on part of your post was that it was ununjustifiably offensive.

If you don't have a personal issue don't make remarks aimed at a person.

Carlit... what exactly are you trying to achieve by dredging up a three-year old thread on a subject totally unrelated to the points you've raised so far?

If you have a problem with Cicerone as a publisher, then they'll cheerfully deal with any issues you raise - contact details on their website - www.cicerone.co.uk

If you imagine I'm going to intercede with Cicerone on your behalf, what exactly am I supposed to tell them? Choose from the list below...

* There's this man/woman (delete as applicable) called Carlit on OutdoorsMagic...

* He/she owns more than 60 Cicerone guidebooks but doesn't like them...

* He/she has spotted three minor proofreading errors and claims to have more...

I can assure you of the following...

* Cicerone staff aren't members of OutdoorsMagic and aren't aware of your problems...

* I guarantee to deal with any errors you find in my books... but not anyone else's...

* If you honestly feel you can write better books... crack a deal with Cicerone.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post

* If you honestly feel you can write better books... crack a deal with Cicerone.
    Here, here. Reminds me of a similar phrase I used to use with my stroppy teenage daughter when she moaned about the dinner I cooked her