Thread: Lakeland Challenge

Widdler
    Hello boys and girls!

I am about to do a wee challenge in the Lakes in aid of Dorothy House Hospice and was wondering if any of you know if the following has been done before:

Kayak the length of all the easily accessible major lakes (Ullswater, Windermere, Coniston, Wast Water and Derwent),

Cycle all the high road passes (Kirkstone, Hardknott, Wrynose, Whinlatter, Newlands and Honister) and

Walk all the peaks over 3000ft (Scafell Pike, Hellvellyn and Skiddaw).

The aim is to take about 5 days.

If you have a spare moment checkout http://www.justgiving.com/DHlakelandchallenge

I know its a strange mix, but would appreciate it if you knew of anything similar. Cheers! Martin Lucas

Cycle all the high road passes (Kirkstone, Hardknott, Wrynose, Whinlatter, Newlands and Honister)

Just for clarification, do you mean one long ride that will take in all of those passes, or 6 separate little rides, starting at the bottom of each pass?

Widdler
    Hello Michael,

Thanks for response. The route is: Starting off at Pooley Bridge, kayak Ullswater, walk Hellvellyn, cycle Kirkstone, paddle Windermere, cycle to Coniston, paddle Coniston, cycle Wrynose + Hardknott, paddle Wast Water, walk Scafell Pike, cycle Honister Pass, cycle to Derwent, paddle Derwent, Skiddaw then cycle Newlands and Whinlatter to finish in Keswick. 5/6 days I'm expecting.

Its sort of a Fred Witton? round with kayaking and walking thrown in.

I live in the Lakes and fancied something a bit different to raise money for a charity that really helped my mum before she passed away recently. I guess you could argue about "easily accessible lakes", but this is just from experience.

Cheers, Hope you have a grand weekened!

Ahh, right, I see - so it's everything all thrown in together!

That seems a lot more interesting than doing the walking, the cycling and the paddling as 'separate events'.

Good luck with it - I hope it goes well. I'll pop over to the sponsor site and donate when I get home.

Widdler
    Sorry there Michael, I just re-read your post and I should ellaborate. Its a continuous loop starting in Pooley Bridge and ending in Keswick. I will not progress with motorised transport, but I do have my poor girl friend and dad following me round with bikes, a kayak and assorted stuff).

Cheers!

Widdler
    Hey thanks Michael, you're a star!

Widdler
    Well all went to plan. finished on Tuesday evening after 4 days 6 hours and 35 minutes.

A big thanks to those who sponsored!