Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reserve ban for disturbing birds

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar

This man has been "banned" from entering all of Britain's National parks after a court conviction.

Reserve ban for disturbing birds

So, just how are they going to enforce that then??

Presumably what it actually means is that he can now have is suspended sentence invoked merely for being found in a National Park. This means they don't actually have to catch him committing the crime to get him into prison.

I do realise that aspect John, I just wondered if they can spare the Police Air support units and how effective it will be to take them off their very important task of detecting wild campers !!!

)

The report says that he was "caught with a remote-controlled camera...". What does this mean? Did he have such a camera in his possession when caught, or was the camera instrumental in catching him?

If the latter, does it show that that loonie North Walian Chief Constable has started deploying wilderness cameras to catch walkers and wild campers?

No, apparently he climbed the tree containing the Goshawks' nest, placed a remote control camera in the nest, climbed back down the tree and waited to take photos of the returning birds.

Unsurprisingly, the Goshawks abandoned the nest!

Brunstom is in deep s**t on another matter, he showed photos of a decapitated Liverpudlian biker to journalists in his crackpot campaign against the Criminal speeders.

Most of the family did not know that the man had been decapitated, and only learnt of the fact when members of the journalist group complained.

Most of the family did not know that the man had been decapitated, and only learnt of the fact when members of the journalist group complained

I must say I find that VERY surprising. I suspect that most (if not all) of the close family (certainly the adults) were fully aware of what had happened to the poor chap. The accident was widely reported at the time, describing his distinctive clothing, and most people who knew the guy knew what had happened to him, by all accounts.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Well, given that he's a repeat offender, he should have been locked up.

But, of course, there aren't any spare spaces in prisons, so they can't... Instead, they'll hand out an unenforceable 'restriction order'.

I suspect the remote-controlled camera was for monitoring the nest.

> in his crackpot campaign against the Criminal speeders

hmmm... that's one way of putting it, I suppose. Then again, the decapitated man was riding without a licence or insurance, at 100 mph on the wrong side of a right-hand bend, and could easily have killed the young family in the car he hit. Oh, and they were trapped in the car with the headless body embedded in it for 90 minutes. Nice.

Respect for the dead? Well, he doesn't seem to have had much respect for anyone else...

Which is the greater crime: using a photograph of the outcome of reckless driving to illustrate the dangers of speeding to a group of journalists (not putting it in the public domain), or nearly killing a young family, and exposing them to a grisly ordeal that they'll probably never get over?

I suspect the usual muck-raking of journalists trying to have a go at an already unpopular target.

I totally Agree with CP, the chief has done so much more good then he has done bad, and to be given so much abuse over this one incident is ridiculous, sure he could have anticipated the response to the pictures a little better but then we all make mistakes, and we lear from them. I dont undrstand why people in high positions in authoirty arent allowed to make mistakes. Its ridiculous

I know that in traditional OM style this has now wandered somewhat off topic, but never mind. CP's link includes this interesting comment:
    "It was made clear to the meeting at St Asaph Park, Denbighshire, that the man?s family had not been made aware that the images would be used in the presentation."

Perhaps the idea was deliberately to try to provoke the kind of media reaction that has resulted, by pointing out that permission had not been sought from the family. That's certainly in keeping with Brunstrom's tactics. Had permission been sought - and perhaps gained - nothing like this kind of publicity would have occurred.

ps - the A470 is absolutely terrifying on weekend because of motorcyclists hurtling around at well above the speed limit, coming out of nowhere and carrying out dangerous overtaking manoeuvres. There are other motorcyclists who obey all the rules of the road and are absolutely responsible riders.

> Perhaps the idea was deliberately to try to provoke the kind of media reaction that has resulted

A Machiavellian view...

ps. saw a familiar name on a book in Waterstone's military collection at the weekend... ;-)

> and to be given so much abuse over this one incident is ridiculous

Don't underestimate the power of the car lobby and associated petrolheads...

I cannot believe the insensitivity and sheer crass behaviour of some people on this forum at times.

The man's father was interviewed on BBC Wales news and he stated that he knew about the decapitation and had kept that detail secret from most of the family telling them only that he had died instantly from the impact. He is a liar is he?

No matter how the rider contributed to his own death, or who else he put at risk at the time, Brunstrom was totally out of order using his images in this fashion without the permission of the family.

You can justify the dangers of speeding without the cheap theatricals of this type of hype!

Whatever the circumstances, the family deserve the respect normally afforded the "bereaved." It was not them riding the bike!

Shame on those looking to score cheap political points!

BTW I am with Kate on this one.

Is Brunstrom that stupid that he thought that asking a gathered press actively looking for him to slip up not to tell anyone that they wouldn't?

There is a certain stink about this one that would not be out of place on a deep sea trawler!

Goon
    Ref gregory Cain and his special plea for the CP.well, no, the idea of promoting people above us with great authority is hopefully that they will not make such mistakes.
    Wandering even further off, several years ago a very respected financial institution in Edinburgh lost around 80% of its depositor's money. BUT, they had learned valuable lessons!!! Oh, and the Chairman was resigning to spend more time looking after his estates.
    Point is, these people appointed to very highly paid jobs are supposed to have the brains to do them and avoid mistakes, not to use them as a learning experience.

> Is Brunstrom that stupid that he thought that asking a gathered press actively looking for him to slip up not to tell anyone that they wouldn't?

So we can expect to see an apology from the press who put two and two together and identified the body, can we? After all, it was they who identified the body, they who defied obvious requests not to identify the body, and they who published the association of the name and the manner of death.

> Shame on those looking to score cheap political points!

Indeed; those gunning to remove someone who is passionate about trying to reduce the number of deaths on the roads. Or, more cynically, those trying to make money by fuelling controversy in their newspapers.

captain 'crass and insensitive' paranoia

I'm with the Captain. Maybe Brunstrom was naive to think the press would honour the requests not to publish the details, but that's no reason to hang him out to dry.

Well, as we are well clear of the original topic anyway let's shift a little further and consider the question "should we admire Brunstrom for being "someone who is passionate about trying to reduce the number of deaths on the roads" , or should we judge him on his performance as a Chief Constable?"

As CC, I understand that his leadership has produced dismal figures re. crime and detection rates, but lets ignore that and assume that he should be judged purely on road deaths. As car design has improved, road casualty numbers everywhere have declined. Have the North Wales figures declined more sharply than those for areas which put far less emphasis on speed cameras and publicity for their Chief Constables?

Frum - the DTL statistics from 2005 showed that North Wales had the biggest reduction in road deaths for the UK based on the late 90's baseline, achieving a reduction of 53% which was about 20% better than the average for Wales - that's quite a few lives.

O.K. Richard, that sounds good. I'd like to look at these stats for the whole UK, not just Wales. Can you please tell me what "DTL" is , or quote a URL to their website?