Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ebay or not to ebay

Mini Goon
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Agoraphilia-outdoor-gear

anyone bought montane gear from these people? any feedback welcome please...

cheers
    sb

I would ring my local gearshop and see if they could match the price and they might even beat it,you dont know if you dont try.
    but his feedback on ebay is 99.9% out of 850 people who have bought from him you could say that they are the genuine thing ,dont hold me to that tho!!
    contact them find out as much as you can before you buy returns policy,and if they are shady with the deatils then dont buy..

Never bought from those particular folk but, looking at their favourable feedback profile (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/agoraphiliaoutdoorfun), I reckon I definitely would.

They have some good stuff on there, don't they?

Edit: Good advice from diddy about seeing if a local gear shop will pricematch.

Widdler
    I've bought from them a number of times and would happily do so again.

They didn't have the colour/size combo I wanted for one item and my Paypal account was refunded within 30 minutes of me making the initial payment.

Another item I had ordered the wrong size and they exchanged it for me no problem.

Quick delivery too.

Mini Goon
    I have too, always had excellent service.

I'va also bought from them. They were good. I would be happy to trade with them again.

Mini Goon
    thanks ever so guys brilliant feedback...

sb

excellet ebayer,spot on kit.

The easiest thing to do is look at the feedback score. Over 1000 items sold and 99+% feedback tells you all your need to know.

I've bought from them (montane lite-speed). They were excellent.

Apart from taking the money and knocking stuff out cheap, why don't you ask them what they put back into the outdoors world?

This must sicken the guys who are trying their best to give service, find new stuff and add new products to our interests like the OneOutdoors, the Hike-Lites and the BPL's of this world.

Any monkey can sell stuff cheap, undercut the guys who do us all a favour and then dissapear with the cash.

Perhaps a call to Montane to find out if they are a legit dealer or someone who has picked up some grey imports might be the first call.

eBay's great for second hand stuff, I use it all the time. But when I see new stuff effecting the shops I WANT to be there fore me, it make me feel awkard. Yes I want it cheap, but I don't want to put the good guys out of business in the process.

Seen this thread?

It costs more to sell on ebay than it does on your ownwebsite, you don't charge yourself a fee for selling it do you? There is almost no current season stock on ebay either it's either current unsold stock near the end of the season or old. You have to shift volume, fast, otherwise it's a hobby. So it can be a risky endeavour.

Montane will quite happily supply almost anybody, and they don't hold a gun toa retailers regardingpriceso they don't care how cheap it is.

As Beany says above, I do feel for OneOutdoors, BPLand FastandLight in particular, it they had shops in the street that's where I would be heading, to ask, try, buy and shoot the breeze. These guys are new new independant shopslike the ones I remember from years ago, great kit lurking in every corner. You just can't get your hands on it until the next day.

Many big names have an ebay store, the brave ones use their real name, many use a pseudonym.

‹bermensch

Montane probably don't give a flying fig who's knocking out their stuff at whatever price.

However, I see they (Agoraphilia) arediscounting TNF, who I'm pretty sure would notenjoy seeing their products cheap on ebay.

Anyone from TNF read this forum?

eBay to me is like walking into a digital car boot.

There are times when you can pick up a second hand bargain, fair enough.

There are times when you pick up something which is almost new, unwanted gift whatever, fair enough.

But those times when something is obviously new (or obviously not theirs), gives me the feeling that it might have just been nicked from someones house the night before, and bargain that it might be, it makes me feel really uneasy about buying it.

I was in a small shop yesterday chatting with the owner about running a business in the outdoors world, and my God I didn't realise how tough it is at the moment! He didn't mind the Fast & Lights, BPL's, Hike-Lites, OneOutdoors of this world as they brought something new to the party, but eBay? The guy went puce!!!

With the number of manufacturers now selling direct, he predicted the independents would now start falling by the wayside within 12 months. It's my fave local shop, in fact it's my ONLY local shop!!! NooooOOOOOooooo.

Really felt for the guy, bought a Buff and left. These few threads have really made me think about how important it is to spend my money with the people who matter to me.

I've seen all my local rural shops killed off by the supermarkets in town and now I have to travel 30 miles to find anything unique or interesting. If this guy packs it in, my nearest outdoors independent outlet will be almost a 100 mile round trip ... bummer!

Goon
    Apart from taking the money and knocking stuff out cheap, why don't you ask them what they put back into the outdoors world?

This must sicken the guys who are trying their best to give service, find new stuff and add new products to our interests like the OneOutdoors, the Hike-Lites and the BPL's of this world.

Well my local outdoor shop is Tiso who, in my experience, are fairly useless when it comes to giving advice and most often either don't stock the item I want or if they do, don't have it in my size.

I have bought from Hike-Lite and BPL (and had excellent service) but given I've never actually spoken to anyone from those companies how is shopping from them any different from shopping from a reliable Ebay seller like the one mentioned here? In my opinion both provide a valuable service in either providing hard to find gear or gear at lower cost than the larger stores would provide. Just because one uses Ebay as a route to market I can't see that as being a reason for condemning them out of hand.

‹bermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar

What?? You mean you didn't get a call from the lovely Roseto see that everything is in order?

You wait till I see her. I'll slap her little legs

Goon

What?? You mean you didn't get a call from the lovely Roseto see that everything is in order?

You wait till I see her. I'll slap her little legs

I've ordered several times andRose hascalled - but as it's my home number she always speaks to my wife rather than me!

Are people on here really whinging because products are available to buy cheaper than they used to be?

Recently I needed an item for an imminentwalk. I checkedround every every shop in my city (7+). No-one had them in stock.3 hours wasted. Got it cheaper newfrom eBay and it arrived 2 days later. The eBay store had a feedback rating of 5000, so I could see exactly what the reputation of te store was.

Thankfully the days of having to suffer the high prices, poor choice, and smug attitudes at Tiso are almost over.

What's really wrong with ebaying?

If I can find something in an independent shop down here in Poland, I would buy it. But shops here tend to stock mostly highly priced equipment in limited quantities, odd colours or cheap, useless kit of some local low-quality makes. And the stuff is very "traditional", I mean you can walk in the shop and buy pro-shell jacket off the shelf but if you ask about pertex windshirt or merino base-layer nobody even knows what you're asking about; you've got the picture now.

British on-line shops, and of course ebay, are for me the way to go.

I guess this thread is more about if you do have a local shop who provides you with service, and the products you want and THEN you choose to buy off eBay to save a couple of bucks.

Great you save a couple of bucks, but in 8 months time when you might have a problem with that product and you want service and the help of people (who sold it to you) to solve issues, will those Ebay people help or still be there? You don't know who they are, where they are and what their history is, so you can't even get to them legally if they fail to provide with service as dictated by the Sales of Goods Act.

You can only make a judgement about a company when you have a problem. Anyone can sell an item cheap and give no back up. You may say that the 'back up' isn't important to you today, about 'the product' you bought. However one day it will be and by then your local shop, where you saved that couple of bucks will have gone.

And if you think 3 hours driving around is a waste of time, wait till you have to phone around the world to find the manufacturer and wait for the legal people at eBay to get back to you, and then wait for PayPayl to refund the money. A mate of mine had to wait 6months and prove God knows what in the process. Much easier to walk back into your local shop or contact a 'pro' website eh?

Stephen Graham - so the difference surely is that the sexy voiced Rose DID try and talk to you and you provided a different number? Which IS different to eBay you mention yes? You also REALLY missed out ... er for feedback comments I mean .....