Thread: Walking poles?

I suffer quite a lot with sciatic backproblems, and it has been suggested that using walking poles would benefit me greatly. As usual the choice is somewhat bewildering! Any advice? My usual walking is simply hills and up to some of the higher bits in the lakes/Scotland etc.

Hi Simon,

If you search for 'walking poles' in the little search box above (and change 'in messages' to 'in titles') you should find lots of threads on this topic, full of useful info (or not, as the case may be!).

HTH!

Thanks for that!!

Widdler
    Phew

I would suggest buying a cheaper pair at first. You can pick up a pair for £10. That way you can spend a little time getting used to them, seeing if you like them. Better than than wasting £30-£50 on poles you don't like.

I'm glad I didn't waste much money on them, because I hate using the things. I didn't like always having something in my hands, and I found they got in my way. Others love them, so it just depends on how you get on with them. If you've got back problems you may find them very beneficial.

James

I've got knee problems and they are extremely beneficial. I wouldn't leave without them any more.

I've got two Leki poles - one is the ultralite, and the other is the ultralite with suspension.
    I cannot stand the suspension (one day out with it told me that) so I always turn it off. Looking back I would get another of my Leki Ultralite as it's just perfect.

I've got a couple of old Leki poles with the handles angled forward. I've tried the straight handles and found they put pressure between the thumb and finger sometimes causing a blister.

I find them useful when after a long walk I'm exhausted and they just take the pressure off. Especially when I've done a long distance path.

If you decide on a pair, buy the same style and try and get them so they go small and fit inside your rucksack, that way they don't stick out the top and catch things or present any danger should you fall.

I use some nice Nike cyling fingerless gloves for use with trekking poles, they also give me some protection when scrambling over sharp edged rocks.

Mini Goon
    Simon C-I also like the PA handle,but they don't telescope down as compactly as the straight-handled versions of comparable length.

Alpkit have the carbon lites back in stock great poles for the price.

Although I don't really like using poles I have 2 Leki poles which I sometimes use to take pressure off my knees.

Pacer Poles are far more effective than standard poles and - I suspect - are better for you in terms of posture.

www.pacerpole.com

Why,oh why, won't Pacerpoles sell their handles separately to fix to poles other than their own. Considerations of re-cycling and economy say that there is no need for me to buy new poles, but I would love to fit PacerPole handles to my existing poles.

Goon
    Before using poles I suffered from knee problems on descents - the poles (a pair of Leki Ultralight in my case) make a signficant improvement.

‹bermensch
    I have an Achilles tendon problem. I tried walking with one pole and that helped but when I tried with two... Wow! Big difference and a big help. Takes the pressure off the ankle and ensures that my other knee doesn't overwork to compensate for the lack of strength in my bad ankle.

Recommended.

Borrowed some off Blackadder for use over a weekend and have now bought some , I leave the fells less tired and with few aches and pains the same day or following day.
    Not for everyone but if you hurt after a walk maybe worth a go.

I love my poles but I've snapped a few of them and as a result I never pay big money for them any more.
    If you're experiencing back problems, you might like to look at some decent shock stopping insoles in your boots. Sorbothane or superfeet might really help you.

i bought some £12.50 for a pair ones from go outdoors in their sale as i wastnt sure how much id use them, it turns out that i used them all the time and manged to break one so i have since invested in a pair of alpkit poles which i think are fantastic, very light, very sturdy and very well made.

cheers
    Andy

I believe poles are a great target for lightning strikes - if they start to hum then throw them away quickly!

- but then Im so paranoid about lightning anyway (put it down to living in Africa)

Widdler
    Simon, I too have have a "weak back" and the thing I have found most beneficial is Pilates! The stretches and movements have helped stretch my sciatic nerve in my left leg and I have noticed a real improvement since I started in September 06.