Thread: 4WD adverts

I was enjoying my recent TGO - until I got to the 4WD advert - especially the mud splattered one on the next page.

I presume they bring in good advertising revenue.

But it jars very badly - especially if you've just been on a green road that has been badly churned up by these vehicles.

You know... I didn't even notice it!

I don't recall seeing a single advert about anything!

I must be the advertising industry's worst nightmare!

I can read any magazine, enjoy all the wonderful features and lovely pictures, but I go completely blind whenever I'm faced with an advert. I slip into automatic page-turning mode and my sight is miraculously restored when I reach the next piece of editorial content. Advertisers - take note!

unfortunately its a prevalent theme in walking magazines at the minute and I thoroughly disagree with it

however, I am also a realist and acknowledge that adverts help to finance the magazines

having said that, I would happily pay an extra few pence to avoid seeing such adverts in the future

I stopped my subscription to Top Gear mag because there were too many outdoors activities ads :-)

Look on the bright side:

If they waste their advertising money in TGO, where I would guess most readers already know they don't need a 3-ton tank to get to the hills and generally aren't interested in trashing them, then they'll spend less on advertising in Suburban Mum magazine.

I often look at Rav4s and think they'd be useful for getting me (singular) out to the Cairngorms and beyond. But I have an Avensis, and I can curl up on the back seat and sleep, I can fit all my gear in the boot, so it is good for me. I've transported 4 people plus their day-gear with no worries.

I honestly don't know if there'd be the equivalent boot space in a 4WD that I could afford.

When I did look at one a few years ago, one of my colleagues asked what I'd mainly need it for - "to get up the road to Peterhead in the snow", the reply "if the weather's that bad, the school will be closed". I didn't buy a 4WD.

Keep scrolling down this page;

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    ' '
    V

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    Bearded Git:

)))

John B

What an intelligent thought !!!

LOL - I just scrolled down!!!!

:-)

Jackie

PS I liked John B's tought too.

Is someone trying to say my thought's aren't normally intelligent?

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    I don't know, what a susicious climate we live in now, can't even pay someone a compliment without having the sincerity doubted !!

;-))))

I urge you all to buy a Hyundai Terracan straight away :-)

The bottom line though is that no ad revenue = no web site or, in TGO's case, no magazine. And car companies have big bucks to spend. But I think everyone knows that.

Mini Goon
    I've spent far too much time in the past few weeks answering letters to readers who have complained about this subject so I suppose I'd better answer you lot too.
    It may surprise some of you but I share your sentiments.
    There appears to be a continued misconception that, as editor of TGO, I have the final say-so in terms of what adverts appear in the mag. Wish I had. For better or worse, TGO is owned by a large newspaper group and I have publishers and advertising directors who take a lot of convincing that the money that comes from such adverts should be turned down, especially on a marginal niche title like TGO. While I have full control of what appears editorially in the magazine, I'm afraid the decision of what adverts appear in the magazine does not always rest with me. Having said that, I've made my own views known to my bosses. They know where I stand. The appropriate threats have been made... And we don't have any more of these ads in the pipeline.

Cameron,

Does the weight of letters you have on such subjects help you to back up your opinions to the publishers? I would have thought a pile of threats to cancel subscriptions might help swing their opinion on whether they would accept similar advertising in future.

OM, the new bastion of press censorship?

Widdler
    Personally, as a long time subscriber to tgo, I have absolutely no problems with the magazine running adverts for 4WD vehicles. I am not in the market for one, so I do not read the advert.If it helps profitability, and lets face it, accountants rule the world,then that has to be good.