Thread: Ski touring/ski mountaineering pants

Widdler
    Hi guys

any suggestions on an ideal overtrouser for backcountry/touring/general alpine use?
    I have been looking at lowe alpine's huck trouser or ice light pant. Price around 200 ish. cheers

About 6 or 7 years ago I switched over to Paramo Aspira Salopettes for all my ski-touring (and piste skiing for that matter) and I haven't felt the need to look for anything else since.

PAramo Aspira Salopettes for me too!

Widdler
    what about the aspira trousers? from the website, they appear to be the same minus the top bit? I have been told that salopettes can be a bit bulky to get on/off with a jacket harness etc. on?

I use ME Karakorum salopettes, love them. You feel very secure in a salopette (even though you may look like a hick loser)

Aspira trousers are essentially the same except for the top part, and would be a better choice than the salopettes if you run very hot (I generally get away with just a baselayer and the Aspira salopettes and smock when moving, and sometimes add a layer over the top at stops). Personally I don't find them too bulky although I rarely wear a harness. And unlike conventional overtrousers I wouldn't have thought you'd be wanting to get them on/off very much - they go on and stay on.

Widdler
    dont buy Norrona trollwegen. i bought a pair, they showed major wear after two tours. i have been using mammut extreem for the last 8 years. they were greeat!

Yep, Paramo Aspira for me too. Their "Seconds" department regularly list in well known auction sites if you are looking for a good deal.

Alternatively, Cioch make something similar and will do them "Made to Measure" too if you need a special size. I'm in the process of getting a jacket done with them (as a backup /replacement for my Aspira smock) and I must say that the process has been very smooth and easy so far.

James

I moved on from my Aspira salopettes to some Cioch custom-fit salopettes a couple of years ago. The same excellent performance, but a far better fit and a few nice custom features, and the whole spec and ordering process was very good.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Decathlon Bionnassay soft shell trousers, perhaps? 40 and have thigh vents. Search old threads for comments.

5 year old zombie thread alert, woken by grumpy Norrona purchaser! But what the hell, may as well leave a note for anyone else searching in future...

For warmer weather when the Aspiras are a bit toasty I'd suggest looking at the Rab Exodus troos. Got some dead cheap in the Cotswolds sale, but had to send em back cos they were out of smalls and their 'mediums' are clearly made for a much larger 'medium' sized guy than every other manufacturer caters too. They've got thigh vents, loops for braces, really tough crampon patches and reasonably large cuffs with a draw tape (rather than a plain old cord). Best of all, they're not black; something which is depressingly common. For warm weather use I don't want something that absorbs sublight extra efficiently!

Anyway,my replacementBerghaus Jorasse trousers are stretchy enough to fit round the top of even fairly big touring ski boots, come in grey rather than black, have thigh vents and also have snow gaiters for use with less chunky boots, which is nice. Not too pricey either and make nice cold weather hiking gear.

The Outdoor Research Trailbreakers and Westcomb Chief Bibs might also be worth looking at, but they're a pain to find this side of the Atlantic.

I apologize for intervening...just my thoughts...

I've got a pair of the Marmot Precip pants (here is a good article about nice ski bibs https://pro-sport-expert.com/best-ski-bibs/ and they work fine. However, I was given a comparable pair from Mountain Hardware, and they have a more fitted cut and fit me much better, so those are the ones I pack.

On a slightly different tack - REI has upgraded the fabric used in their Mistral softshell pants. I was comparing those pants with their Schoeller Dryskin version they call Acme, and I found them nearly indistinguishable, except that Acme has a built-in mini-gaitor. However, the Mistral's cost $90 and the Acme's are $160.

OTH - if you're intent on a new pair of softshell's made from Schoeller Dryskin, $160 is a bargain.
    There are a lot of cool videos on YouTube, here’s one of them.Good luck
    Last edited by Kendy999; 10-10-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Goon
    I have The North Face GTX uninsulated ski pants and they work very well. I only use them for alpine skiing.

BUT... two years ago I bought Duluth Trading Co.'s "Dry on the Fly" fleece lined nylon cargo pants. They have 5.6 oz. medium heavy nylon, gusseted crotch and are the equal in every way (except price) to the Rail Riders fleece lined nylon pants. Best general use winter pants I've ever owned. I use them for ski touring and winter ski camping. They breathe well - far better than GTX - but are very wind resistant. Both companies are in the US.
    Looks like Duluth's Chinese tailors are as good as RailRiders Chinese tailors. Jus' sayin'...

Eric B.
    BTW, I would not hit a dog in the ass with anything made with Marmot Precip. Delaminates too readily.
    Last edited by Eric Blumensaadt; 19-02-2019 at 03:55 AM.