Thread: Rab Summit Jacket

I just got a Rab Summit Jacket and was a little suprised at the level of loft -> or lack there of actually. The down actually feels quite dense, and if I hand compress it it bounces back very fast, almost like synthetic. The whole jacket looks like it has the same amount of loft as my old synthetic sleeping bag and nowhere near as much loft as my Alpine Dream sleeping bag. I know it is down because some came out, but does this dense feeling mean the down is bad / been compressed in some wearhouse for years and is now useless? Have I done a stupid thing here?

Goat

I've got a couple of down jackets, including a Rab, and they loft big-time. I'm talking "puffed up" fluffyness here.

Sounds like yours is either damp, over-filled or has, as you say, been compressed for a prolonged period of time.

Where did you get it?

I will go and compare to see... it could just be me

Goat

Goat
    Mine seems to loft fine,comparable with mine, and the wifes Peak smock anyway...same as Big Kevs description.Its difficult to explain via text.

I will go and check before I jump to conclusions, it may still be 'lofting' :S

I suppose I was biased because I went to try on a Neutrino and the material is very thin and light, so it appears to loft like mad. The Summit material is a lot more rigid (probably because it is ripstop) and a lot heavier - so it might just look less lofty where it is actually lofting fine.

I'll have to find a summit to compare with to see if mine is buggered, I hope it isn't because it looks so damn cool!

Goat

I always like to fluff my down in a big tumble drier on a no-heat setting. Shouldn't do any damange and will really loosen up and fluff the down. You'll get a better idea of the loft then, though it should be lofting enough on its own given time and a little wear.

Hey Richie,

Good advice man, I will try that tonight! When I got home from work and could look at it properly it looked a lot more puffy than at work and then this morning and a night hanging it was seriously puffy, which made me feel a hell of a lot better!

I'll try the tumble drier thing, see if i can get the puffiest jacket in the world ... BAH!

Goat

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    If you've only just got it (delivered to work, by any chance?) then it may have been stored stuffed for a while. In which case, the down may take a little while to loft again. Sounds like that's what's happening.

You may not be able to get back into the house when you get home tonight...

Goon
    heavier materials will effect the look and loft,
    if it is new, then i noticed the new summit jackets are box wall construction and therefore tend not to look so puffy
    if you have a tumble drier, pop it in for 30 mins on lowest setting less than 40deg take it and see
    dont leave jackets or bags lying in the tumble drier as the metal drum gets hot and could melt the fabrics, so some people recommend shoving it in a big pillow case or similar