Thread: circular walk, Yorkshire moors

Mini Goon
    Hi, run out of ideas for loal walks, done Sutton Bank, Osmotherley, Helmsley, Blakley Ridge. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Trevor

Trev

Try following the dismantled railway track west from the car park at SE683989 (near the Lion Inn) across Farndale moor to the crossroads at NZ616014. Turn south and follow the ridge to NZ640974 then turn east down into Farndale and then back uphill to the car park.

Around 12 miles and a decent pint in the pub at Farndale

There's some wonderful walking around Hawnby and Boltby - One of my faverite circuits starts in Kepwick, follows at track over the moors to Hawnby and then turns into Arden Hall and goes through some woodland and my faverite valley - Wild Middle before you work your way back to Kepwick. Incidently the Hawnby Hotel serves excellent food.

forgot to say it's just under 15 miles

Mini Goon
    Thanks buffman and tom, will map them out, think I have done the one from the Lion inn, but never done the other.

Cheers

Drop me an email and ill forward you some of the walks i have when i get in from work

do you have tracklogs? if so i can send you some routes for that too.

the lion at blakey ridge is always a good place to start/finish, you can follow the old railway up to bloworth crossing, then almost double back on your self go along rutland rigg then down into the valley bakc up the other side and back to blakey.

Other good staring points are rosedale, rosebery topping.

I quite like parking at roseberry, going up roseberry down the back up onto roseberry common across to hanging stone, then along the moor to highcliff nab then across the moor to the row of houses just outside kildale, then into kildale, stop at the teashop for a beer and some fantastic grub then down under the railway line up to captain cooks then back to roseberry topping.

The route I usually take is as follows;
    Take a bridleway from Kepwick (just before the chapel) to steeple cross, then take the cleveland way and head towards boltby. just before you get to high paridise turn onto a bridleyway that will take you to the track that leads to arden hall. It is rough heather without a path but there is no need to take a bearing as there is a television mast that if you keep just to your right, you will come out in the right place. Then take the track to arden hall - if you want to go into Hawnby there is a fairly pleasant bridelway (part of the Inn way) that will bring you out at church bridge. As I say the Hotel/Inn is very good but there is also a post office store cum teashop with benches outside. Turn into arden hall and follow that bridleway through the estate and into the valley - Wild Middle until you come out on the moors above Kepwick. Immidiately opposite is a footpath which avoids the road and takes you out in the centre of kepwick.

another walk i like takes in the top of the cleveland hills,and can be started from carlton bank, osmotherly, chop gate etc i cant rmemeber the exact route off had but if anyone wants it let me know.

Mini Goon
    Thanks tom, mapped that out and looks like a nice loop, especially with the nights drawing in.

Moggy I use memory map, but a suggestions would be appreciated. By the sounds of it we walk in the same area's. Just don't suggest a route up bilsdale I got lost last time!! lol

Cheers

Trevor

lol trevor, i was hoping to get out sometime this weekend, i might pop over to the tea room at kildale which just reminded me there are a couple of walks on

their website

if you are near guisborough any time pop into the bookshop there as there are some cheap books with lots of circular walks for the moors i bought a few before and use them for inspiration. they are by j brian beadle or something like that

i think they can also be found on bookshop website

some of them have a bit of cross over with the odd route being in 2 books but at less than 2 quid per book its not so bad!

the riggs and ridges of the north york moors has some fantastic walks in

anyway hope that helps

cheers
    andy

Mini Goon
    Thank moggy, two very useful links will check them out later. I am lucky in a way that i can avoid the hoards because i can walk on week days. enjoy your trip.

I didn't realise that so many OM'ers live near the NYMs. I think we should arrange a mini meet!

Im up for that!

Mini Goon
    Depends on when and where, work shifts so could be difficult. Would be nice having a meet over this side of the pennine's!