Thread: Threaded gas cartridges

I've got an MSR pocket Rocket, but don't seem to be able to find anybody stocking MSR gas canisters. Richard Gear's latest article suggests MSR, GoGas and Coleman threaded cartridges are all compatible - is this true (the strove instructions say just to use MSR canisters, so I'm a bit nervous)?

Hi Chris, yes, they should all work fine. We tested the Pocket Rocket with a Coleman cylinder, which has the same thread as MSR or Go-Gas. It won't work with a threaded Camping Gas cylinder though, or obviously one of the puncture-type varieties, though you can use one of the GoGas adaptors as Richard G suggests.

I'm pretty sure that MSR and GoGas both use an 'Isobutane', rather than a straight butane mix with Propane for improved performance in extreme cold, whereas the Coleman version is a straight 30-70 butane / propane mix, but in most conditions in the UK that shouldn't be a problem - at around 5-degrees C, the boil time with Coleman's gas was around what MSR claim with their own mix.

But the main thing is that you can use canisters other than MSR quite safely, as long as the fittings match the stove.

Cheers

Jon

It's the last thing that is the problem. A friend has an MSR Rapid Fire bought in the States. Today we tried it with a GoGas cartridge and it just didn't fit. Is there an adapter? Or does he have to buy a new stove for use in the UK?
    --Mjausson

Hmmm... I've asked the UK importers First Ascent what the situation is. The Pocket Rocket sold in the UK definitely fits Coleman / GoGas-type cartridges. Watch this space.

Okay, this is what Jason Myers from First Ascent, the UK importers of MSR says:

'OK it goes like this.....the screw valves on top of your typical camping gas/ epi / msr canisters are all the same, a standard item around the world (unless its the refillable variety). The pocket rocket and rapidfire have the same screw threads to mate with these canisters, though slightly different ways of sealing and actuating the gas flow.

'My guess is that your friend is not having problems so much with screwing the rapidfire onto the cannister, as acheiving a good seal. If making the seal is indeed the issue, then this will most likely be remedied by fitting a new rubber o ring into the rapid fire valve assembly. Its a bit fiddly, but not too hard to do. The older the rapidfire, the more likely that this is the case.'

He adds that if your friend needs a new O-ring, pass the address on via OUTDOORSmagic and he'll have one sent out free. Does that make any sense?

Jon

Also a trip to Corsica shows that Markill (German gear manufacturer owned by VauDe) and Plein Air (French competitor to Camping Gaz) cannisters also fit my pocket rocket, if you know what I mean.

Widdler
    I have a Primus Himalaya Multi Fuel which fits the standard Coleman screw re-sealable canisters. In some towns in Spain i could only buy the push-fit CampingGaz re-sealable canisters. Is there a converter available ? - if so, where.

as Coleman now owns CampingGaz it seems odd to maintain sales of incompatible cylinders

‹bermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar