Thread: New circular walk in Nottinghamshire

For those who live in or near to Nottinghamshire of Leicestershire a new long distance (100 km) has been announced. The walk is around the Borough of Rushcliffe which lies between the River Trent and the Leicestershire border. The route is divided into six sections that include most of the high points in the area. Details and maps are available on the Councils web site at www.rushcliffe.gov.uk/100

I'd say the high points in the area are the pubs! Or, if you're into sport the cricket and football ground. Oh, and my Mum's house (not for sport, you understand, but she makes nice dinners). I have to say, this sounds fairly dull.

I came across the highest point in Nottinghamshire by accident the other day whilst out on my bike. Silverhill colliery at 205m, what a giant!

Is that really the highest point? I'm amazed. I didn't think it was *that* flat round there.

Thats in the North of Nottinghamshire, on the Derbyshire border. So I guess it must be even flatter down at the Southern end!

Maybe the slightly hilly bits I'm thinking of are all in Leicestershire. Who'd have thought it.

Übermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar
    Norfolk is flat.

From my 7th floor office window overlooking the river Trent I can see for miles, hills all around, some of them in Nottinghamshire too!! :-)

Hmm, where are you OM? County Hall, Trent Bridge House? Or have they continued knocking it all down and rebuilding it!? That's partly why I was a bit suprised. I seem to remember some bits that were more hilly than 200m asl - don't know any of their names though and don't have any maps for that area. Well, except an old, shabby a-z.

Heights not everything, ask Tom Cruise!!

Hi Cath,
    No I'm in the local borough council offices across the road from County Hall. My window overlooks Trent Bridge and, more importantly, a pub verandah on the other side of Trent Bridge where, with the aid of a pair of binoculars, I can admire the view on a hot summer's day!!
    I can also see Bunny Hill, the power station at Radcliffe on Soar, the local hills around Nottingham itself and in the far distance, on a clear day, the lower hills of Derbyshire!!

Oh, yes, I know where you mean. Overlooking the TBI could be a mixed blessing, surely?! I think Bunny Hill was one of the 'high points' I was thinking of. I suppose that's in Leicestershire though?

Austin - you're right there. I'm afraid I still think it's a bit dull, but maybe that's just 'cos I grew up round there and have never really seen it as a place where you would bother going walking. OK, maybe a bit of a stroll or walk the dog or something, but you know what I mean. I may just be being very closed minded though. (Wouldn't be the first time, LOL!)

Cath, you're facing the wrong way. IThe pub I overlook used to called the Aviary, now it's Casa. Next to the entrance to Victoria Embankment on the city side of the bridge.
    Bunny Hill is still in Notts, overlooks Clfton and it's 'wonderful' estate!

Cath

I know exactly what you mean about your area, the walk was devised as I was trying to get fit for the C2C in 2004 and wanted somewhere to walk that did not require a 2 hour drive to get to. I sorted out 5 or 6 circular walks, which a year later became the basis for the Rushcliffe 100. Several people, including OM have walked chunks of it with me and we have all been surprised by the quality of the walking, the sceanary, views and some good pubs. And I can assure sceptics four of the six legs have a lot more uphill than you may expect.

Oh, yes, sorry. My memory of the lovely pubs on trent bridge is fading (thanks to the psychotherapy). Hmmm - the Aviary. Of course. Bizarrely, I once saw Aswad perform live in that pub. But what was it called before the Aviary? I can't remember. Never had much to do with Clifton really - although before I left Nottingham I spent 5 years living in the Meadows (why, I now ask myself!?) Sometimes I twist the truth a little bit and say that I lived in Las Vegas (Spanish for .. ) for 5 years. Sounds much more glam!

Austin - that's the interesting thing isn't it? How we often overlook the places that are closest to us because they aren't generally recognised as places to walk/run/cycle. I think, tbh, I will probably always prefer mountains but that's not the same for everyone. I suppose I shouldn't be so flippant - I do realise that there are some nice scenic bits of countryside round that area (hard to miss all of them in 25 years - on and off!) Mind you, wanting to be nearer to the kind of countryside I prefer was my main (well, actually, only) reason for leaving Nottingham and I've never regretted it. Nice city though, in many ways.

I'm not from around here myself, only came up here in '89. I've asked around though and the opinion is it was called the 'Town Arms' with a part called the 'Birdcage' on the side of it.
    We have some people here who live in the Meadows and they say it's not a sbad as it's made out. Like a lot of places really, a few 'wrong uns' give a place a bad name. I live in Ilkeston myself, you'll know what a reputation that has!!

The Town Arms - yes, thanks! Well, to be honest, I didn't find the Meadows too bad at first. I was burgled three times (once was 'just' the garage) and I have never been burgled before or since and there was a shooting incident within a few minutes of my house about a year before I left. I think like so many places a lot of the really bad antisocial behaviour is concentrated on particular streets. I never felt particularly endangered when out and about though and the other people who lived in our road all seemed perfectly pleasant and peacable. I drove past where I used to live in July when visiting my Mum and it seemed even more grim and run down than when I left - but I suppose that could just be that my perspective has changed since I left. Where I live now has a lower crime rate - although it's not especially 'posh'. Then again, a woman was murdered in an alleyway quite close to here a couple of years ago. Never can tell, I suppose.

Anyway, sorry Austin for taking this so OT.

Not a problem Cath, I only work in Nottingham I live in a small village in Leicestershire. I hate even going into Nottingham shopping, theres no way I could move back there to live. Anyway I'm also a new to the midlands I move up here from Portsmouth to be near to the Peak District, and for a better job.

Cath, don't worry about taking this OT. Austin needs someone to ignore his 100k walk or he'll get all bloated!

We're off with a 3rd guy from work to Devon next week to walk the 2 Moors Way. Can't have him all upbeat for that!! He needs something to moan about! LOL :-)

LOL :-P