Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campsites near Assynt

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Hi guys

Anyone know which are the best campsites on the West coast of Scotland between Applecross all the way up to the Northern coast.

People have recommended Clachtol and a few others. I'm planning on climbing Suilven and Stac Polly aswell as a big chilling out holiday including boating out to some islands on Lochs, I'm so giddy I just wanna go now!!!

Can anyone suggest pro's and cons for the local campsites around Coigach, Assynt etc? cheers...

‹bermensch
    Anywhere that doesn't say "Campsite".! It's Scotland!

Its more of a comfort holiday this one, we are taking the smaller tents just in case but I don't like wild camping unless its nessecary, I prefer that people only do it as part of an expedition or at a last resort and on a small scale if you know what I mean. This ones a big 4 man tent for two jobby, basically half way to Chav Camping really!

Thing is Jamie, campsites are pretty few and far between up there. You might not have much choice. Were you planning on staying in the one place or travelling around to various campsites?

As ALoveSupreme says, it's Scotland. Camp wherever you want. As long as you have plenty of supplies there's nothing stopping you. Finding drinking water shouldn't be a problem either ;o)

Were going up on the Saturday staying at the Red Squirell behind the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe then from there heading towards Applecross then around the roads and maybe staying at Badrallach near Dundonnel then after that on up to Assynt area.

Wanted to know mainly if anyone recommends any over the others as I know of several sites but getting mixed opinions on them from some.

Was also wandering if anyone knew if Achnahaird has showers. I'm a sweaty thing, ecspecially when I've been up a mountain so like my showers!

We'll be doing maybe a few wild camps but not too many as I'm not into it as a general thing and think its best kept discreet. Myabe when I get to see just how remote it is up on that area I may change my mind. Never done that particular part of Scotland, but have been scouring OS maps and Multimap at work all day... I really should actualyl do some work this week!

‹bermensch
    OK - I understand - right now your problem will be midges (and its just got decidedly cooler today in Glasgow) so I would go for campsites right on the sea, or ones with some elevation and exposure so maximizing the chance of a breeze. If you do decide to wildcamp, you don't have to go very far - a few hundred metres off the road will be plenty, a couple of kilometres will get you onto a ridge or well up a Coire or glen. Applecross is fantastic, as is the whole Torridon, Beinn Eighe area. And exploring the single track roads. p.s. You can camp right outside the backdoor of the Kingshouse pub in Glencoe for free, and the webcam lets you know what the weather is like!

Bear in mind that the main stag stalking season is about to start. Although the shooting of stags is legal from 1 July, except on Sundays, the main season is mid August through to 20 October.
    You will find that in the North-West of Scotland the Estates take the stalking very serious and you may have to ascertain from them where they are stalking before you wild camp.

The Land Reform Scotland Act means that walkers and Estate Managers have to be 'reasonable' so they cannot tell you to come back after 20 October as one gamekeeper told me last year.

Thanks for the info Lindsay, I was aware of the stalking but not the dates so thats great. I'll take a few useful numbers with me I think.

The campsite at Achmelvich, north-west of Lochinver, is pretty good and in a beautiful location.

I've wild camped in the area during the stalking season many times and never had any problems. Enquiring locally about where they are shooting. Many of the mountain area - Suilven, Canisp, Quinag - are now owned by the John Muir Trust or the Assynt Foundation anyway. See:

http://www.jmt.org/cons/assynt/assynt.html

Achmelvich has been recommended to me by a former Lochinver resident too so that looks like its going to be one of the first choices.

Thats also good to know about the JMT ownership as I'm now a member.

Thanks Chris.

Near Ullapool there is the Ullapool Town campsite which is okay if you want the facilities of the town on hand. There is a campsite 4 miles further North at Ardmair Point which is quite nice, with a good location right on the coast.

Widdler
    If you dont mind travelling further north, there's a great site in Durness. its right on the cliff edge, nothing but sea between the campsite and Iceland, so any sea breeze will keep the midgies away. Beautiful beach below the campsite, Smoo cave 15 mins walk away, what more do you need?
    Yes, there is a pub - sorted!

I acn recommend Achmelvic too. Camped there in May. Fantastic location very close to the beach and the toilet and shower facilites were good.

Ullapool camp site is on a good location but last year the cost was £10 a night so as it was raining I went to the Youth Hostel for £12

You mentioned you'd be camping at the Red Squirrel for a night.

Was thinking about my last experience there on a busy Friday night a couple of months ago - lots of open fires, very busy with a mixed crowd of bikers, climbers, students & walkers, many of them indulging in music and noisy revelry until 4am or so, plenty of midges, the most basic facilities I've come across on a UK campsite in 25 years. In fact I think they were the same facilites that were there when I stayed there the time previously in about 1983!

Which may be what you are looking for, which is fine!

But, I must say I'd have preferred a wildcamp to a night on that campsite.

It's only merits imho are that it is close to the Clachaig and relatively cheap, which given the facilities, it should be.

Just a personal perspective of course....

Thanks all!

Ken, I've been to the Red Squirell many times and I agree with you. Its in one of the world's best locations but unfortunately its owners despite raking in quite a bit of money never seem to want to invest it!

Was thinking of maybe wild camping by the river in Glen Etive instead for the night. Its just to break the journey up to the coast into two really. Maybe I'll sneek into Red Squirell for a shower in the morning, (wouldn't be the first time, hee hee)

We've got our spray and silly looking midge hats so not too bothered about them yet, plus they don't like me for some reason, everyone I take up there they munch on but I must have something they don't like. I do drink Guinness so maybe its that they don't like in my blood stream.

Fair enough - didn't know if you had been there or not Jamie. I agree: they do appear to rake in a fair bit of cash, at least on a weekend, so it's a pity the've not reinvested some of it in the facilities.

I never found the showers!

Enjoy your trip!

When are you off?

Instead of driving down Glen Etive for a car camp in an area that must be badly polluted go to Invercoe camp site, on the Kinlochleven road from Glen Coe village, where the facilities are good and the owner is a pleasant chap.

‹bermensch Nearly Normal Polar Bear's Avatar
    There is a reasonable site in Gairloch and I liked the one in Ullapool - right by the water. Both family-type sites.

Widdler
    Can't resist endorsing Achmelvic campsite. Camped there many, many years ago and it was just about perfect. Mind you, it was May, warm, sunny, still, no midges.....