Thread: Sport Climbing

As the title and description may imply, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good sport climbing areas within easy public transport of London. I'll be looking at easier grades for now, I've not done much for a while. Somewhere with nearby camping is good. I've had a look at Rockfax and various others but without a fair bit of trawling it's not been over easy to work out where some of these places are and how I'd go about getting there. If anyone has first hand knowledge... please share

Haven't actually been there myself yet, but Portland is widely regarded as the best place in Britain for low grade sports climbing, and I'd imagine it's reasonably accessible from London - there's a railway station in Weymouth and the island itself is fairly compact.

Camping options don't sound great though...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=183658

Aye, did have a look at portland as a possible but the camping does look a unlikely... i'll have to look into train timings and see if I could make a day trip of it.

Initiate Looby Loo - i'm BOORED!!!'s Avatar
    do planes count as 'easy public transport'?!?! get yourself a cheap flight to malaga and go to el chorro!

I shall be there from 25th august to 13th sept. The campsite (the finca) is full of climbers so no probs fiding someone to climb with

and, knowing british rail, you'll probably be there faster than you would portland!

Good grief, I'm not made of money!

Initiate Looby Loo - i'm BOORED!!!'s Avatar
    lots of cheap flight to spain available if you're flexible with when you go - The flights I got to fly over next week from manchester are cheaper than the train to the airport!!

While Looby's quite right about Malaga as a cheap destination, don't write off Portland just at the moment.

You can get the train to Weymouth, then there are fleets of buses tearing between Weymouth and Portland what seems like every 10 minutes. I don't know of any campsites on Portland itself, but there's a very handy one just on the 'mainland' at Pebble Bank. It might be a bit pricey, but it has lots of facilities and can't be more than 5 minutes walk from a bus route.