Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those interested

knew I should of checked before leaving work.

correcting myself he has two new podcasts there!!!

Übermensch john hee (www.walkaboutintheuk.co.uk)'s Avatar
    ...a little something for the weekend sir?

.....and from the sound of the intro Bob's voice has finally broken
    ;-)

Übermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar
    Oooo suits you!

Go home the lot of you!

I should also point out that there is a new Wildebeat and Wildebeat Vox out as well.

Actually I'm going to listen to that now, as the presenter has one of the most boring sleep inducing voices going. Shame as the content is good!

I hate to think what I sound like on the podcast, then. Been downloading it over dial-up at my folks for over an hour. Ah, the joys of slow connections.

I was listening to some of the works ones - I thinks the BobCasts have lulled me into a false sense of quality. Recording presentations and calling them podcasts is not what I've grown used to. Ah well, going to have to try and do my own when the new term starts. No doubt they'll be worse than the ones I find dull.

Duncan - you wouldn't happen to be the same named subject of the "Getting back out on the hills" cast released yesterday?

Aye, that'd be me. I still haven't heard it yet. Currently nicking broadband time on my brother's computer.

Oooo - OM atracts all the stars these days!
    ;-)

Seriously it's a great listen - Bob really knows how to pick his subject & topic, & I found myself nodding in reognition as you recounted your experiences returning 'back to the fold'.

Still, Bob (I know you're lurking around here somewhere) you never managed to get Duncan keen on a food dehydrator.
    Strikes a blow for the Vesta Lovers Club - now that dates me.

Glad you enjoyed it John. I managed to get a copy downloaded after fixing my brother's broadband connection and (err) tested it via Bob's site.

I "umm" and "err" a bit too much, forget gear name, and then forgot the question at one point. Also forgot to mention that I'd hiked just under 90 miles, bagged 7 Munros (failing to scramble up Ben Avon's summit tor), did the Lairig Ghru in one day, and all for 3+1 blisters - in 2 trips of 3 and 4.5 days.

Photos on www.flickr.com/photos/dimacleod if anyone wants to be bored senseless. Most here have gone further, faster and higher in less time, but I'm still new at this. The time in the TA was with the RAMC(V) in Newton Aycliffe, and I mananged a few weekends and my 2 week's training at Aldershot. As it was for the field ambulance, we didn't have to trek that far from vehicles. Also, by nature, I'm an information gatherer, so sites like this are great for me, as is Chris T's "Backpacker's handbook" and the various podcasts around.

Respect.

Duncan, if you like Chris's book, you'll love the one that is like I suppose a Bible to the lightweight gear freaks, and I'm currently reading (after managing to finally get my hands on a copy - long story) Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine.
    Even my wife (who reads alot faster than me) thinks a lot of what is in there makes sense (and is interested in trying backpacking now!)

Übermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar
    Well Duncan somebody must be enjoying it as it has had several hundred downloads already!

So your target now is the October challenge - will he do it or won't he?

Your public is behind you ;-)

LOL. I've the Cicerone book, the Harvey's map, and am reading the section in Ralph Storer's book on the WHW. Doing it isn't the problem, what niggles me is getting there and back again (hmm, I'm sure someone used that phrase in a travel book before).

My Mum heard it last night, and obviously pondered it, cos today she says "he only asked if there was ONE book that inspired you, and you mentioned at least three".

As we're pushing podcasts at work, I've been egotistical enough to recommend the Bobcasts (again) to our management.

Oh, WD: I got Ray's book off eBay earlier in the year. Grand read. I suffer from the "brain lock", or was it "brain freeze", that he descibes. The sudden realisation that I'm doing something that is more dangerous than normal, and the brain just freezes. I just need more practice. I also found that reading about other people's experiences helps. Gives the brain more options when thinking of solutions and ways out.

I suppose that's why its a shame that there's not some outdoors prog on tv. "The Adventure Show", "Ray Mears", "Tracks", "Coast" - not much. Where's the progs that were supposed to come out when 'geography became the new history'? Any sign of "The Munro Show" on dvd yet? I might have to buy the video off of eBay and burn it to dvd.

Duncan, The Munroe Show has been on dvd for years, I've had it for at least 3 years.
    Got mine from Amazon IIRC.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...UTF8&s=gateway

finding a copy is another thing tho'

Tried downloading which went ok but when I put the file on to my MP3 player it didn't want to play and just gave me some incomprehensitive rubbish which has been badly translated fron Chinese.

Just have to listen on the computer then!!!

I'd check that the copy on the pc is ok Frank, if it is then delete and reload onto the mp3 and you should be ok. Otherwise you may need to download it again.

just gave me some incomprehensitive rubbish which has been badly translated fron Chinese

Sorry, Frank, that'll be my accent. Subtitles don't work on mp3 format.

WD: aye, I've had a standing order on Amazon for ages. Nowt. Now that I've figured how to copy the old tv recordings on to dvd, I was thinking about doing the same for "the Munro Show" - quality wouldn't be as good, and not sure about the copyright, but I'd like to be able to see hills I'd be walking up.

Muriel's book is a great read.

I wonder what the economics of dvd releases are? The company behind "Tir is Teanga" wanted about 40quid a dvd/series. But the "Mountains of Scotland" cost me about 13 quid.