Thread: South West Coast Path campsites

Widdler
    Have just posted this on the 'SoapBox forum' by mistake. Apologies.
    I am starting tomorrow at short notice for 2 weeks, from Minehead. Never having been to that part of the world, I have joined the SWCP Assoc & bought the newly revised Cicerone guide.
    I am travelling light with a tarptent and hope to wild camp where possible, but anticipate using several sites en route...I have no fixed finish point.
    Doubtless many sites will be on the large side, but I am looking for the smaller sites in less accessible places along the coast...assuming there are any!
    Any advice would be appreciated...I shall look up OM from internet sources en route
    Many thanks

Robert - in my SWCP guidebook I recommend folk get hold of the South West Coast Path Association annual guide to the route and its services. This book has the most up-to-date listings and includes a campsite section. At this time of the year, you should be able to spot campsites in distant views because they'll mostly be quite full. If you do any wild camping, note that in some places the general public are invited to 'inform' on campers, but obviously, if you pitch late and leave early, and are pretty low-key and out-of-sight at the time, then you'll have no problem. In two weeks you'll no doubt get some of the wildest and most remote stretches covered. Good luck!

Widdler
    Thanks Paddy
    I bought the latest revised SWCP Cicerone guide, and joined the SWCP Assoc for their annual book.Have now completed Minehead-Newquay (via Lundy!)and return for the second leg to Poole late August.
    Wild camps (late pitch, early start) few & far between due to lack of decent water supplies, but have found several excellent small camp sites which I will notify to the SWCP Assoc when I finish the trail late Sept.
    A few truly awful campsites...meaning v.poor facilities, but some little gems also. Many thanks to Air SW for providing good value transit from 'oop North'!

Widdler

talking camp sites me and my mate are going to walk the swcp for charity to raise money for a childrens hospice do you think the campsites would do a deal on pitching the tent

Just ask them, and they'll either say yes or no. If it's no, accept it in good grace, and if it's yes, then count it as a bonus. Also, bear in mind that some sites are family-oriented, and they might not allow you to stay if you're travelling with a pal and no kids in tow.