Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gym

Hey Goat!

If you think that's good, there's free parking at all the gyms too :-))

I guess you're being stung for living darn sarth.

Go North, you know it makes sense.

Ian

4000m took 20 mins Harry, never dropped below 30spm..........is that reasonable?

Kate

My gyms are getting the same stuff - tvs & heart rate monitors built into all cv kit. I can't wait. Well, I suppose I'll just have to :-(

Note to self. Must keep in shape between now and then. Don't pig out out over school hols and positively no beer.

Skulks off downstairs. In the distance...

creak of the fridge door
    a bottle of Marstons Single Malt opening
    the lid hitting worktop and rolling round to a stop
    the glugs from the bottle as it discharges into the glass
    condensation forming on outside of glass

Goon
    It's a good starting point. As long as you enjoy it. It will do you the world of good. Try dropping the stroke rate but holding the pace. ie do 4000m in 20 minutes but with fewer strokes. If you try to row once a week at 24spm it will develop power in your stroke. Then, when you up the stroke rate (30spm) you'll go faster. Hope that makes sense

Ian, ours has got all the new stuff, except TVs for each machine. We have swevral strategically placed though. The heart rate monitors on each machine are great. Watch for the Wave Rider machines if you get them too, they're real killers that feel like ice skating through liquid concrete at first.

Harry I think I follow your reasoning...just, and will give it a go.

Hmm, you guys are making me jealous - and I'm in Cheshire too, but I checked out my Borough's website today and didn't find anything as up-market as you seem to have. Looks like I'd better keep up the private membership - and get back into the habit of going again!

Dave

Concerning the damper, there must be a lever on the side with a graduated scale, usually 1-10 with 1 being no resistance and 10 being Stve Redgrave material.

If you've got a Concept rower, then as you look at it when sitting on the seat it'll be on the round drum to the left of the display panel. Try this schematic, item #1033

Once you've found it, try it on setting 7 and then adjust accordingly.

BTW Dave the website has some good training info too. See here

I did enjoy rowing before my elbow injury so I'm tempted to give it another go. If my elbow complains too much I'll just have to give up but nothing ventured...

Ian, it's the sort with the lever on the right hand side going from 1-10 and I have it set at 10.
    Matt where in Cheshire? You could always travel to macclesfield and get membership here for all Macc borough gyms at £25 a month...... and have someone to go with.

Sounds like it's time to have a Cheshire OMers get together?

‹bermensch
    Dave, you can compare your speed with others, and log your own achievements, here . According to the excellent 'Oarsome Foursome' training DVD they sell, featuring some Olympic gold medal rowers, for endurance work you should try and get your stroke rate down nearer 20/22/24 with a damper setting of around 4 or 5 But there are loads of different strategies - a setting harder than a real boat may work for you. As long as you get your heart rate within the correct target zone, you will be doing good.

Great website, set up my own logbook now.

Dave,
    I'm just outside Northwich so I come under Vale Royal Borough. I haven't actually tried their facilities but the website made it sound very much like school gyms and badminton courts rather than a fully specc'ed gym anywhere. I've got a reasonable deal on the local LA Fitness whic I used pretty religiously for 14 months until April but I've only been a couple of times since then. I keep meaning to start again...

In the time I was going my program got reviewed every 6 weeks or so and progressed in intensity. Early on I was doing long, steady treadmill/rowing/cross-trainer stints and several sets on a range of static weights machines. By the end I was doing a lot of free weights and some shorter interval sessions on the treadmill, cycle or rower. I also found a HRM a good aid to training at the right level. Having explained to them about wanting to be fit for backpacking, ski-touring and cycling the emphasis was on leg and back strength with a little arm-work for the skiing plus general cardio-vascular fitness. It certainly made a difference - by the time I went on an OM meet I could comfortably keep up with Frank!

And a Cheshire OM get-together sounds good to me. I'd like to get on one of your wild-camp outing at some point but I'm short of free weekends before September - so see you at the Fisherground meet if not before.

‹bermensch
    Dave - there'll be no stopping you now in your inexorable creep to the top of the rankings! I've found the .uk website more helpful in terms of training and forums than the .com one. There's a handy film clip of James Cracknell demonstrating proper technique on the bbc website .. can't make a link to it work, but if you go to www.bbc.co.uk and search for "James Cracknell's Rowing Machine Tips" you should get it.

Matt - look forward to seeing you at Fisherground, and I'll put some thought into a Cheshire area meet (maybe a social meet first or a wonder along the gritstone or Sandstone Way)

ALove - not sure about creeping up the rankings the way I feel today lol. For the first time I've woken up and KNOW I've been to the gym the day before ;-)

Update:
    Well it seems to be working! Going up Ingleborough on Saturday really felt different, and that after just a couple of weeks gym work. Instead of regular enforced stops there was just a 5 minute break for something to eat and drink while taking photos for the right up. More impressive was not being passed by a single person all day - something that's not happened in 3 years! Another year at this rate and I may be able to keep up with Frank

Hey Dave, how are you? I have some training tips for you to see.

Step 1. Find a steep hill that is about 100 meters long (or whatever you have access to).
    Step 2. Place a 50-pound bag at the top of the hill and another at the bottom of the hill. Sandbags work great here, but any other weight could work in a pinch.
    Step 3. Grab the bag at the bottom and sprint with it up to the top of the hill.
    Step 4. Drop it, pick up the other bag, and run it down the hill.
    Step 5. Rest while your partner does his or her set. Do 8-10 rounds apiece.
    or you can check this article:https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/6-h...ve-to-try.html
    this is my website If you want to add some equipment to your gym, welcome to buy.https://www.mangogymequipment.com/gym-equipment