Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym

I can only add one thing to the comments above - I was strongly advised (by GP and cardiologist) not to use any weights or any 'straining' type exercise - puts excessive strain on the heart. That's the bullworker out the window then.
    So far, I've still not quit the fags, and I've not lost much weight either (suspect I need to lose a stone), but I've still not had my treadmill test (scheduled for 10weeks from now!), or seen a phisio or dietician. However you are a shining example to me - quitting fags and losing weight at the same time! I start work again tomorrow, so will have to focus my mind on giving up smoking first. Good luck with whatever routine you go for.
    PS. Regular updates on your progress would be appreciated.

Hi Dave - I've used a power breathe http://www.powerbreathe.com/homep.html in the past - it's supposed to help with breahlessness. I can't say I found it made a huge difference, but tbh, I got a bit bored doing it everyday, so probably gave up before I should have. Hmm... maybe I should give it another go as well :-).

UPDATE

Thanears ago:ks everyone, Ive taken a printout of your commentd to the gym this morning and discussed it with my trainer.We've worked out a revised program designed for hillwalking and scrambling. This is based on returning to my former levels of fitness so I guess it would help if I let you know how it's been affected overall first:

5 years ago:
    Average hillwalking pace - flat & downhill;8kmph, uphill;5kmph
    Average length of walk before knackered;25-30 miles
    Time between rests;consistent 3-4 hours

Now:
    pace - flat & downhill;4kmph, uphill;2kmph
    rest time; initially 1 hour but by the end of the walk down to 3 mins on uphill then 45 second rest
    length; 8 miles
    These are based on carrying everything required for wild camping.

The new training regime advised is:
    4 times per week:
    treadmill - 20 mins
    x trainer - 10 mins
    wave rider - 10 mins
    rowing - 1000m
    sit ups -3x 20
    pull ups - 3x 12 at wide, narrow, very narrow
    abs machine 3 x 20
    lower back machine 3 x 20
    leg bench press 3 x20 at full foot, toe, full foot single leg

weights for all above are 35kg ( I weigh 68.5kg)

3 days per week:
    swim; 45 mins - 1 hour
    cycle; 1 hour with 20 mins at half resistance, 20 mins full resistance, 20 mins decreasing resistance to 1/4

Add to this daily dog walk of 1 hour, 1 day per week 1 hour badminton.

After 2 weeks of above start introducing wearing a rucksack during exercises, increasing the weight in the pack gradually.

Other important factors already changed:
    cigarettes; gone from 20+ to 0
    coffee gone from 22 to 3
    diet; removed fried foods, pies, full fat cheese and replaced with steamed/grilled alternatives, low fat cottage cheese. replaced coffee with fruit juice diluted to 66% with water.
    weight reduced from 89kg - 68.5kg

We'll see how this works and I'll let you know the results after a month or so.

Goon
    Dave, you've already made huge steps forward and the regime looks pretty good. Perhaps I could make a few constructive suggestions.

1. You are looking for endurance and upper body strength. No point doing the lleg presses then.

2. Sit ups and abs work is good. Core stability is crucial but make sure you do the sit ups correctly. I find doing them on a ball is best. Do them slowly.

3. Use a slight (2-3%) incline on the treadmill.

4. Doing 1,000m on the rowing machine isn't really going to do much. The concept 2 rower ( I assume that's what you are using) is a brilliant machine. Why not do a much longer session on the rower? It will work every major muscle group, help with your cardio ability and give you stronger legs for all that walking you are going to do. Don't listen to the gym instructors who'll tell you to row with the drag set to 10. That's bullshit. You want a drag of about 120 which on most gym machine means having the lever on about 3-4.

5. make sure you drink lots of fluids. High5 drinks are the dogs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Harry
    I must admit the 1000m on the concept 2 at 10 felt very easy, and I was thinking of increasing it to something around 5000 but was following advice as the treadmill and leg presses add to the leg work.

Sit ups are on a machine and absolutely kill, but I desperatly need to do some work on that area having lost so much weight.

I drink between each machine and go through about 2 litres per session - is this enough?

The best thing is the cost At £10 a month for unlimited use of the gym, swimming pool, climbing wall etc etc I finally feel I'm getting something for my council tax.

Goon
    Dave, If 1000m at 10 felt easy it suggests one of a number of things.

1. You're much fitter than you thought.

2. The fan on the machine is full of dust (most gym ones are) and these means the resitance is affected.

3. You are not pulling hard enough.

Try gradually building up to 5000m. Why not just add 100m every session you do.

Many people think that rowing is back and arms work but it's mainly the legs (quads) that do the work. If you want really strong legs you can't do much better than rowing.

£10 a month is brilliant. The cost of two packets of fags.

Keep up the good work and don't forget that the thing that benefits most from exercise is that lump of grey matter between your ears

Goon
    Sorry, should have said, if you want to check the drag on the machine (I'm assuming it's a Model C, the grey coloured one) then to display the drag factor, press READY and REST together and then row a few strokes. You will get a reading on the monitor which will tell you what the df (drag factor) is. About 120 is a good level.

Also, take a not of your spm (strokes per minute) with correct technique you should be rowing at between 24 and 30 spm.

Two litres of fluid is more than enough.

Harry, I'll check the df - does sound like a model C. I did notice the maintenance date on the one I normally use was the end of June so it should be fairly dust free. I keep a constant spm of 30-34.

You might benefit from using a York exercise ball. i use one at home and they're great for building core stability.

And it's fun to use..

Your on the right lines with your diet, with me it's wheat free muesli with my own mix of nuts with Cranberrys juice every morning.

You cannot put a price on personal heath, and you don't think about it until it's effected.

It's got to the point where i only think of food in trems of energy value what it taste like is immaterial to me.

Mini Goon
    Hi Dave,
    I use a gym for climbing training and it great, but I have never traing for walking have always been able to do anything I have wanted without to much effort.

For climbing training I use the phase cycling method between Strength, Stamina & Strength Endurance. I try to stick to one phase per week.

If you take running, I always use a track or the streets find it much better than the gym, I do sets of 10/100 meter (strenth)
    4x800 meter (strength Endurance) and 10K+ (stamina.)
    The 800m is the hardest the first set I do in just under 2 mins then it all goes to pot.
    You can also apply the cycle phases to weights & bouldering.

At the end of the day I think you will find that the best training for walking is walking, we are so lucky walking & climbing make it so much fun to get your excercise.
    Best of luck with the program beware of over training, bet you end up doing more & more outside.

Mini Goon
    One further point I tried to use swimming as a training method when I was working away from home, I went to the local pool and it all laned up for swimming, it was just so embarassing I ended up in the pool with a load of really good swimmers, one of whom was Karen Pickering, I was so crap I never went back.

‹bermensch
    I agree with all that has been said about rowing - it is a superb exercise. The concept website has excellent advice on training, technique and drag factors. How long does 1000m take you? If you are doing it at 10 (way harder than a real boat) and finding it easy then maybe you should be giving us advice! I have found a pulsemeter an invaluable aid to any kind of cardio training since they give you a true measure of the intensity of your effort. You might find that using one on the hill is useful as it will give you a lot of feedback and stop you pushing too hard too soon and burning out.
    BTW, if your trainer doesn't know about the drag factor on a concept2 rower then I would be very sceptical of anything else he might say.

Its very sipmple to find an exercise plan. Do something you enjoy! If you dont enjoy it you wont keep it up.

You might manage it fot 6 months or so but as a life long change in life style, if you are forcing yourself it just wont last.

The one thing I'd say is that weight machines are fine for isolating individual muscle groups, but out in the real world, there are very few activitities that involve, say, contracting your triceps in isolation repeatedly. I'd definitely think about adding in a couple of complex free weight exercises that work big muscle groups together and strengthen the muscles and the connective tissue at the same time as well as building coordination and doing them in conjunction with machine weights. Dumbells are great because they work you evenly but you also have to fight to keep them in the right plane.

I'm thinking exercises like power cleans, dead lifts, squats with a bar or even Olympic lifts like the snatch. Pull ups are great as well, particularly for climbing, as they work the upper body muscles together in a similar way to the activity - vary the grip to change the emphasis of the exercise, both width and orientation.

I found gyms utterly boring and won't do CV work in them, unless it's based on painful interval-type training where the pain keeps you focussed. For me, the exercise that's always transferred best over to hillwalking and mountaineering is hill or fell running. You're using your muscles in a comparable way, lifting weight against gravity and, because the ground's uneven, you're also improving balance, proprioceptor response and ligament and tendon strength. Plus it's actually fun, whereas walking on a treadmill is mind-numbingly dull.

I totally agree that the key to it all is finding an exercise you actually enjoy or you won't keep it up. I'm unconvinced by swimming btw. Good for a change, but because it's non weight bearing, I'm unconvinced that it translates particularly well into mountaineering fitness beyong the CV / flexibility benefits.

It's got to the point where i only think of food in trems of energy value what it taste like is immaterial to me.

:-O

How very sad IMHO, sounds a bit obsessive to me. The joy of food is the taste and textures. By all means be aware of nutritional value, and do eat heathily but don't take all the pleasure out of eating.

My gym is also the council gym, costing £21/month. I think it's very good value as it's open 07:00-22:30, seven dayas a week. I'd have to pay double that in Total Fitness, JJB, etc plus a joinging fee.

The membership allows me to use any of the five in Warrington. Even better, they've just closed three of them (including my local) for the next seven weeks whilst they are expanded and refitted. There's going to be state-of-the-art kit in all of them, at a cost of about £1m. Should be an incentive to get back there after the school hols have taken their toll.

eerrrr, how the hell do you get into these gyms? I go to some normal jobbie (eSporta)around the corner in the O2 Centre in Swiss Cottage and it costs me 80 - getting ripped!

Goat

Goat, do you have council-run gyms where you live? I go to one at a Vale of Glamorgan leisure centre - £28 a month peak time membership, including swimming pool. Like Ian (Mr fine mess), I get access to any Vale gym, and they have all just been refurbished, including individual tv screens on all the c-v machines (I go there to watch test cricket since I don't have sky sport!).

Harry, couldn't find the drag factor reading on the rower, but increased it to 4000m today with no problems so maybe I am fitter than I thought lol. Now moved onto a totally new program including a special prog on the treadmill increasing the angle in 2 min intervals and keeping a constant 6k.

Ian, same county as me - Cheshire seem to have their heads screwed on when it comes to gym use. I only pay £10 because I get tax credits - journalism isn't well paid ;-)

Our gym certainly isn't boring now I've found the best time to go in to meet other people - and being only 3 mins walk away is conveneient.
    Jon, started including free weights tonight after putting your point to the trainer

Goon
    Dave, How long did the 4000m take you?