Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gym

Having had a really bad couple of years in terms of health I'm trying to regain my full fitness. Luckily we have a full Leisure Centre and Gym 5 minutes walk away where I have unlimited use. I've never used a gym before this week and am looking for advice specific to hillwalking and scrambling, without overdoing it.

Medically the problems have been getting fibreglass stuck in my lungs after ripping out dirty loft insulation, which gave me real breathing problems - this was 3 years ago but really took it's toll over the last couple of years. As if that wasn't enough I had a silent MI earlier this year thanks to the stress of a divorce, moving house and a major client going bust owing me thousands.

It's frustrating not being able to operate at the same pace I used to, and needing constant 30 second to 1 minute breaks - especiaslly on the uphills. Can anyone advise on the best equipment to use? At the moment I'm doing 20 mins on the treadmill, increasing the gradient every 3 mins to reach 25%, then 10 mins on a cross trainer and 1000m on a rowing machine. This is followed by 3 sets of 15 reps on leg bench press, pull ups, sit ups and whatever that machine is called that you push down on to wreck your biceps. It's just about managable, but I'm not sure if it's doing too much on one area (legs)or how often I should be doing it - so am really looking for advice from anyone who uses a gym regularly.

I'm no sports' physio. But swimming and a gentle jog round the park. (After a stretch)

Spend your gym subs down the pub.

Sounds like a good routine Dave, not too disimilar to my my own. Due to a dodgy elbow I cut out the rower and added the step machine in. This has helped me with the uphill bits and doesn't cause any impact injuries.

I suppose the only other thing I may suggest is adding a bike in there for 15 mins gradually increasing the resistance.

The secret with the gym is stay away from things you don't enjoy, otherwise you'll soon lose interest. As you are already doing, try several different things to maintain variety.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, go when there's something to look at. If you catch my drift.

This may help? cycle as much as is poss, and practice yoga coupled with a high carb diet works for me :-)

I'd suggest swimming too, Dave. I swam almost daily for several months last year, and was amazed by what good aerobic exercise it turned out to be. It was great for toning up too.

Always used to hammer the cross trainer and the step machine. Whilst running round the park and cycling is exercise the gym ,if done properly, is more intense and focused ,especially when its as warm as this ;it means you can go for it in the air conditioned room .(there will not be much going for it outside in this heat)

oh, and mix some wieghts in , nothing too heavy but it helps tone and is good for warming up and down.

cheers That's another....... I've already got the idea of going when there's something to look at ;-)

The trainer wasn't too sure about the cycling as I already do a lot of leg work, but I guess it will increase endurance?

Diet is an issue I've had to deal with anyway, cutting out all the high cholesterol stuff due to the heart problems. These days Mature cheddar has become cottage cheese, pies have become wholemeal brad and thin sliced ham and bacon and eggs have become frsh fruit and greek yoghurt. Having lost 3 stone in 3 months following the MI I'm happy with my weight and really don't want to put the 6 inches waist loss back on.

I forgot to mention......45 mins swimming daily as well, may as well make use as its 5 mins walk away and unlimited use.

jonno, do I need the weights as well as the 3x15 pull ups each at wide, narrow and very narrow, plus the bicep push down machine? If so what sort of exercise?

The big question is how often for all this? My tendancy is to go every day but I don't want to overdo it.

Many years ago i used the gym.

Three times a week was the recomendation.

Ultra King
    Dave'
    I have mild COPD, mostly due to smoking, and it slows me right down on an ascent as I get terribly out of breath. On a ridge walk, however, few people of my age can match my pace so basic fitness is not a problem.
    I had been puzzling about how to build up pulmonary fitness and then it hit me right in the chops. My house lies right at the top of 57 steps up a 1 in 3 hill (I've only lived here for 21 years).
    Three weeks ago I started running up twice a day with a light (7 kilo) pack.
    I'm now up to 4 times twice a day with a 12 kilo pack.
    I reckon that in 6 months I shall be Clark Kent.

start using the free wieghts the instructor at the gym will give you a program dont do too much though ,no one wants to look like arnie and that will not help on the hill.
    good advice is 3 times a week certainly do not go more than every other day ,the body needs time to recover ,if you are doing it right it will hurt a little the next day just like walking does if you have a bit of time off.

P.s. used to be a bit of an addict but now am a lard arse.

Macsen......I've quit smoking too as a result of the MI, after 37 years. No books, no patches, no meds.....just a massive wake up shock lol. It's another part of why I want to use the gym to make sure I don't put the weight back on after quitting.

Hey Dave,

I have Asthma so breathing an fitness were always an issue for me. I now do the following routine at the gym:

1) 30 seconds skip, 30 seconds crunches, 30 second skip, 30 seconds crunches, 1 minute rest, repeat 4 times.

2) 20 minute jog on the mill

3) Light weights (free weights, no machines) in the following order:

Day 1:

Back (Lat pulldowns or seated row 3 sets 10)
    Squats (light weight, 3 sets 10)
    Biceps (Barbell curls, 3 sets 10)
    Chest (Bench, 3 sets 10)

Day 2:

Shoulders (shoulder press, 3/10)
    Delts (Shrugs, 3/10)
    Triceps (cable pull-down 3/10)
    Squats (same as above)

Then I swim for 15 minutes.

I would say 4 - 5 times a week is best because you aren't doing body building so that kind of recovery is not really needed.

It also depends on what kind of growth you go for. If you want fitness, increase reps and lower weight so that you fatigue through muscle tiredness. If you want bulk, pick up heavy weights with low reps.

Goat

Thanks a lot Goat, I'll make a not of this and pass it on to my trainer to see what he thinks either in combination with the present routine. It's really endurance and upper body strength I'm after and this sounds ideal.

Dave

Sorry to hear of your illness and troubles.

I've regularly used gyms over the past 20 years. The comment above to stay away from the things you don't enjoy and to try to have some variety is good advice.

My view is that if you are trying to regain cardiovascular fitness, then rowing, cycling, walking (treamill or 'real'), cross trainers, swimming are all excellent exercise. If you can manage 4-5 times a week, without overdoing it, then fine - but don't worry if some weeks you can only get down there once or twice.

Over the years, I've lost interest in weights - I don't get any benefit in terms of fitness (cardiovascular) from them and I started to get too many aches and pains from doing them. So I rarely do them now and concentrate on the CV equipment, which can work most of the major muscle groups anyway. But your needs may be different and if you enjoy them and/or they add variety then fair enough. Or, if you have wasted muscles that need rebuilding then they may help.

Don't forget walking of course. When recovering from knee surgery I used to go out and tread the local pavements for an hour every evening to tone up my leg muscles. Which was great - low impact, low effort, but still good for toning up and building fitness.

But most of all - try to enjoy it!

The trainer wasn't too sure about the cycling as I already do a lot of leg work

I guess it probably depends what you are after, is it all round fitness or to become a walking machine?

At the two extremes bulging biceps aren't going to make you walk much faster whereas improved aerobic capacity and well toned leg muscles will have an amazing effect.

I'm a bit bottom heavy from doing quite a bit of walking so my programme is mainly weights work on my upper body combined with the treadmill and bike.

As the saying goes "the best preparation for a long walk is a long walk".

Mini Goon
    Dave
    Great your getting back in shape. I do 3/4 days on and a day off but I keep it flexible so if I feel tired or sore I give it a miss. What works for me is 90 mins cardio day 1, 90 mins cardio and weights, 2 hours cardio/weights then a light session.
    Do listen to your body and you could work in a session of streching instead of a work out.
    Good luck and keep it up.

Dave,

No probs bro, just bear in mind that there are many methodologies for training and that you have to pick what suits you best. Depending on the instructor, he could tell you to do 1 or 2 body parts per day and do many exercises for each. I didn't like this approach because I found it hurts more and provides the same (or less) strength increase. My method comes from an Eastern European training methodology that was published in a book called "Big Beyond Belief". Not saying buy it, just letting you know where it came from.

Also, even though your goal is walking, don't ignore the othr muscle groups because you want to grow in a balanced way or you will do yourself and injury. Abbs and lower back give you balance, Lower / Upper back, delts, shoulders and chest is what supports your pack and arms are cool for poles and women (hehehe). If you couldn't be botheres with anything but legs then I would say the top two other muscle groups to work are abbs and lower back.

I hate gym for the sake of gym, so I try and measure my strength and fitness with the number of reps at a weight that I can do and my heart rate after running / skipping - it is the only way I can keep interested and not just go and watch aerobics (mmm, that and my wife of course).

Goooaaattt

Dave,
    I hate gyms.
    But I do enjoy cross country running when with the dogs (just need to get back into it).
    Also I have found that Yoga made a big difference, and helped a lot.

I read that Calcium, and Maccadamia (sp?) nuts where also good for reducing cholestrol.