Thread: Dartmoor - wildcamp this weekend

‹bermensch john hee (www.walkaboutintheuk.co.uk)'s Avatar
    On the off chance someone out there has some ideas .......?

I've cause to visit Exeter this Saturday and thought I'd make the most of the warm weather to fit in a night's camp on Dartmoor.

Question is - where to go?

I'm mobile, but don't really fancy a huge trek from the car this time around. It's more a proving test for new gear, rather than a leg stretching exercise, plus I need to get back on the M5 earlyish Sunday.

Hayor quarry was one thought, but it always strikes me as the type of place that might attract the local kiddies playing on a Saturday night.

Any ideas, or alternatives? Somewhere high up ideally. I can always pack in the water I'll need

Any

Hi John

So, shortish walk in to fairly high up wild camp and easy access to M5. Sorry, I can?t be too helpful on specific wild camp spots but maybe I can give you some ideas.

Haytor Quarry is about as close to a road as you?re going to get. I think you?d be more likely to be disturbed by early morning dog walkers but you could be right about kids in the evening too. I don?t think I?d be happy leaving a car there overnight though.

How about heading out along the A30 and getting onto the North Moors from somewhere like Belstone (off the Okehampton slip road) Meldon Quarry (a bit further along) or Sourton (turn off for the A386 Tavistock Rd). All easy to get to from Exeter and quick access back onto the M5.

Only problem would be finding a suitable spot high up - the tors up there tend to have slopes covered in clitter. You should find it easier in the valleys. The Okement River is beautiful, with Black-a-tor Copse (ancient stunted oak wood) in the shadow of Yes Tor and High Willhays. Meldon Quarry would be the shortest route out. If you?re prepared to walk a bit further, I think you could find a spot to camp between Yes Tor and High Willhays - that?s as high as you can get on Dartmoor - but please don?t blame me if you get up there and are disappointed. I?ve been up there many times but never sussed it out from the wild camp angle.

One of the shortest routes in is from Sourton. There?s a car park opposite the Highwayman pub (weird and wonderful if you?ve time for a pint) and just walk up the track to Sourton Tor. You should find plenty of scope for a wild camp up there but you may need to head out a bit further to get away from the lights of civilisation and the A30.

Another option would be to walk in from somewhere around Postbridge or Two Bridges, but that involves driving into the middle of the moor rather than around the edge, so a bit more time consuming. Cherrybrook Hotel up to Higher and Lower White Tors comes to mind.

Have a good time anyway

Thanks for the ideas.My busines in Exeter was over early Sat afternoon. SO a meander down to Okehampton.

I parked by Meldon Reservoir, went upstream and onto Black Tor. By then I had a head of steam up, so onto Yes Tor, where I ended up staying the night.

I wasn't too sure about making my own path to and from Yes, across the army range, but I worked on the assumption that the army can't be that bad a shot when it comes to ordinance, if the edge of the fire zone is so close.

Anyway I never kicked anything with fins, so an excellent night out, albeit a bit windy even in a shltered spot.
    I'll post some pics soon

What a great place to christen your new tent. It was quite breezy on Saturday, as you say, but I was glad of it during the hot day - made it bearable for walking.

Rest assured, I would have warned you if there was any ?live firing? going on, wouldn?t want you getting holes in your new tent on its? first outing

Nice piccies!

Thanks Mistress S, not so worried about the live firing, more the ones that hadn't gone off
    ;-)