Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peak district

Used to big wild walks in the Lakes and Scotland, but might be going to the Peak District for a weekend in Sept/Oct.

Can anyone suggest one or two really good full day walks? As much ascent as possible!

Thanks.

go4awalk.com walk d158 sparrowpit and mam tor. 11.5 miles 2001foot ascent .nice views will give a feel of the place .but peaks are not my cuppa tea ,prefer my mountains to feel like mountains if you get my drift.
    its pretty around castlton though and if the walk doesnt last the day you can always pop down a mine ,speedwells fun.

A full circit of the Kinder Plateau should sort 1 day out. For day 2 you could try something along the lines of Buxton > Derbyshire Bridge > 3 Shires Head, Shuttlinsloe < Macclesfield Forest > Shining Tor > Goyt Valley > Buxton.

The Edale skyline walk which covers Win Hill, Kinder Scout, Brown Knoll, Rushup Edge, Mam Torr, Hollins Cross, Loose Hill which makes for a long day. I actually usually do a variation of that which starts in Edale and goes up Grindsbrook, all the way back round to Loose Hill and then I return to Edale via Jaggers clough and Kinder Scout again.

Alternatively park at fairholmes and catch the bus to either Westend or Kings Tree and go up to bleaklow head via Round hill, grinah stones, bleaklow stones, bleaklow head then back to grains in the water and along the top of the alport to alport castles and then back to fairholmes. Note this latter one will probably require you to use a compass unless you known the way from bleaklow stones to bleaklow head.

Both these days are pretty strenous.

A final nice long walk with loads of ascent, especially if you try to avoid walking on the pennine way which is possible for most of it, is the Marsden to Edale walk, but this will require either two vehicles or the use of public transport.

Thanks all - I shall check them out.
    Any campsite recommendatiosn welcome too!

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    The Mass Trespass route round Kinder Downfall from Hayfield is one of my favourite. There is a campsite at the foot of the walk too. Also try Bleaklow for something very different and the Upper Derwent Valley area, camping in Edale is a great idea for walking Kinder and The Great Ridge. Also check out the Peak District walks I have documented on my site... www.trekkingbritain.com

Have Fun!

I'd go for the first route Judith suggested I think. That's one of my favourites.

As for campsites. I stopped at the Fieldhead Campsite in Edale last summer. Its a nice little site, facilities ok, 20p showers. Wardens in the adjacent visitor centre are really helpful (weather forcasts, ROUTES!). Cheapish too, £4.50 per night I think. Two pubs in the village, easy access to Kinder/Mam Tor ridge. Train station in the village too if you fancy using public transport!

Ah but fieldhead visitor centre is now shut whilst it is being rebuilt.

Oh yes, I head about that a while back. Assumed it would be finished by now!

The Fieldhead campsite was certainly good. I look forward to seeing the new, improved version.

I cant see what they really needed to do to it??? The facilities themselves werent perfect, but they were pretty good, no more than a weeks work to refurb them.

One of my favourite Peak District campsites is Pindale Farm. It's near Hope. In fact, it's actually right next to the cement works but it's much nicer than that makes it sound.

Just out the top of Cave Dale is Router Farm. Three years ago the facilities were minimal, dark, wet, in a barn. Two years ago they had refurbed all the womens toilet and shower room to a really good standard and added a dry/meeting room with tables and books. The men's was yet to be sorted out but they may have done it by now???

It's a really nice basic site within easy reach of the Mam Tor Ridge, Castleton (shops/pubs) and makes a nice big loop if you want to walk to Kinder.

The pindale campsite must be better than their bunkhouse then. When we stayed there with SARDA it wasn't the cleanest of places.

Router Farm sounds good - must remember that.

Oh, when was that, Judith? I didn't know they had a bunkhouse. I last stayed at Pindale Farm two years ago and it seemed OK. The facilities are not exactly posh but it's a nice peaceful site normally, I find. Much better than Laneside.

Erm, I think it was february or march this year, its where the outdoors centre is.

What about the
    Upper Booth Camp Site ?

I found it suggested in a Guardian article.

The North Lees campsite is good. Ideally situated for nipping down into Hathersage for those provisions you've forgotten, or for the pub.

Pub is good! I like the sound of your first walk Judith, so we may plan to do that from a campsite (using two cars).

For closeness to the pub and not requiring to drive to the start you may be better off camping in Edale as there is Coopers campsite and despite the visitor centre being closed I believe fieldhead campsite might still be open.