Thread: Kinder downfall dry?

Am thinking of scrambling up kinder downfall at the weekend, but this obviously depends on it being dry. Just wondering if anyone had been up there at the weekend, and how dried out it is?

Also has anyone else scrambled up the downfall? I've seen it listed as a moderate climb on rockfax, but wondered how difficult it really is in scrambling terms?

haven't seen it but i'd be surprised if it was completely dry. it was raining round here less than a week ago.

I guess scrambling up it is possible but it looks serious stuff. I say this from watching other people rather than trying it myself. It looks an interesting place to try it tho (but don't come running to me if you break both your legs (boom boom!))

I was there in Feb this year. The westerly wind was blowing the 'fall back on itself. Quite spectacular.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Hi Ben

I was up there on Saturday, there was hardly any water and I live only a few miles from it and theres not been any rain this week so it should be even drier at weekend. You can see the pics on my website!

I've never tried scrambling up it though.

I scrambled it last summer - a bit scary at two points. You need to start on the right and quickly get halfway up; then traverse to the left along a wide ledge. The scary bit is that the ledge slopes away at the same point where the wall bulges outwards at chest height. The next tricky bit is at the far left. You find yourself on a slab in a corner and have to throw yourself up onto a narrow ledge with another rock overhanging it slightly (some kind soul has chipped the slightest toe-hold in the wall - not much use in Mindl Borneo boots! - wear something with a grippy toe/rand).
    Some pics here http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Sean/
    The first pic in the 'Kinder Downfall' album shows a climber at the first tricky bit - you feel as if the rock is pushing you away. I took the photo from the 2nd - the block you have to throw yourself up is the one at the left of the photo.
    A more overall pic is the last one in the 'Scrambling' album. The climber is now past the 2nd tricky bit (just about dead centre) and is setting up protection for the second climber (out of sight).
    Although I've not seen anyone else scramble it, it is do-able, and although I'm not an experienced scrambler, I was really pushing my limits. Very exhilarating when you've finished; I was on a high for hours aftwerwards!
    Usual disclaimer - it's dangerous - don't sue me if you fall and die etc.

Thanks guys, I think we'll head up and have a look how dry it is. Might take my climbing shoes too, in case it gets a little hairy in approach shoes!!

Can anyone recommend what the best approach is? I've headed there from the bottom of kinder low previously, skirting along the bottom of the edge. Are there any better alternatives?

*bump*

Someone at UKC recommend skirting top of reservoir, then following stream bed? Is this possible, I thought there was fences along there?

There is a small fence, but it has a small stile! It is a very scenic valley in summer, with several small waterfalls.
    Alternate routes are : follow the side of the reservoir and either go slightly left up Sandy Hayes, or straight ahead up William Clough and Ashop Head, then follow the path along the edge of the plateau, dropping (easy scrambling) down the side before you reach the downfall. Once the Downfall scramble is completed you can then continue on to Kinder Low End to get back.
    All good circular routes.
    Don't forget to let us know how you get on.
    PS. If there is only a very small amount of water, it should be possible, as most of the water will seep down the cracks in the rock; just beware of any wet green slime. If it looks too wet, there are easy scrambles to the left side. Fingers crossed for no rain before the weekend :^)

Thanks Sean, I will definitely report how I get on. We are thinking of approaching from the south, scrambling up crowden brook (a personal fav) then crossing kinder and descending to the left of the downfall (near red brook) to climb it.

Should be quite a long and fun day!! Saves me driving the extra miles around to Hayfield too...

Also my favorite route. Don't follow the path which leads left about threequarters of the way up; follow the stream and climb up the waterfall - great fun, especially if there's a moderate amount of water coming down it (if it's your favorite, you are probably already aware of that though). Good luck!

Just a little report on downfall scramble...
    Waterfall was almost totally dried out, perfect conditions really. I see what sean meant about a couple of dodgy bits on the route. Did the lower part okay, but at the point where we had to traverse along the next shelf it was a little bit wet which complicated things. We edged along carefully around the bulge, I wouldnt like to do that in any wetter conditions!! After that it was plain sailing.

All in all a great day, and the waterfall could probably be done by any confident scrambler. I would probably hazard a guess at it being about grade II because of the exposure.

Congratulations Ben. Do you know of any comparable scrambles in the area? I keep finding short scrambles, mainly around the upper edges of Grindsbrook/Crowden Cloughs, but none as long/high as the Downfall. At least these can be incorporated into good walks of variable length and superb scenery.

Thanks Sean,

The only other slightly scrambly routes (that we havent mentioned) that Ive done on kinder are blackden brook on the northern edge (near seal edge) and red brook which is a few hundred metres west of the downfall. Red brook is quite good and pretty long.

The other ones in the peaks that I fancy doing are wildboar clough on north side of bleaklow, and wilderness gully which is in the chew valley. Both are on my ticklist for this summer!!