Thread: Are Adventure racers just glory hunters?

Goon
    It's vaguely interesting to hear adventure racers' reasonings on what others think of them and their sport, but at the end of the day why do they care at all?

In this letter Mike Hunting voices how there's no glory in 'not falling down', but then is this indicative of the fact that adventure racers are actually more concerned about how people view them than the sport itself? Let's be honest, adventure racing doesn't exist without teams of people creating the event. It's not exactly like picking up a ball and kicking it about is it?

Widdler
    why?
    mmm. this reply comes aftera bottle of wine so please all forgive the typing.

we can't do this sport to impress other people 'cause no-one knows about it. try telling people what you you did and they won't be as impressed as if you ran a marathon. Joe (and Jane) Public can't grasp what is is involved so won't be impressed. We must be doing it for ourseleves then. Motivation form other people's opinions will also run out pretty quickly so it is only you that will keep you going.

I hope Mike you will be coming back next year to race again. I promise you it is more fun when the sun is shining.

Final rant - you mention the top teams dropped out. The top teams in my opinion where those that finished as a team (unfortunatly not myself as I finished in a team of left overs after THAT paddle). So the term top team should be used for Putney Speedo and the others as they were the ones that used their brains as well as their fitness to finish on the day.

Ultra King
    Perhaps adventure racers do it because they enjoy challenging themselves. I don't understand how anyone can exercise themself in this way about someone else's pastime. Are climbers glory seekers, are high mountaineers glory hunters and if they are, so what? What has it to do with anyone, does it matter, really?

Interesting line of thought, Sally, whatever brings it about. I confess to psychology outdoors always being an amateur interest.

I can also say I've never had the urge to run in the hills. Actually, that's not quite true - in schooldays a loooong time ago I used to enjoy cross-country on the edge of the moor. If nothing else, a grim day would encourage a move-on to get back to a warm shower and I liked being out on a warm day better than indoors education. However, a dislike for meeting other peoples deadlines and missing out of what can be seen and savoured at a lesser pace slowed me down in adulthood. I go out now to enjoy it the way I want to, at my own pace, in my own direction and in my own way. What anyone else thinks of that is irrelevant - I don't set out to beat or to impress anyone and that's not a need I feel any encouragement for.

I regard running as a way of getting tired without getting anywhere much - that's what happened when I tried it anyway - so I got a bike as I always used to enjoy. I may cycle 60 miles to get a Sunday paper - odd to some, questionable perhaps, but it serves some purpose so that's why I do it. Again, what anyone else thinks of that is irrelevant I reckon. I have a friend who constantly moans about going to the exercise classes of the two gyms she pays to have membership of, and the cost of it. I simply say "Well don't do it then". She says she "has to" so she "looks good". Who for? Herself, apparently. Fair enough but she looked good before going to the gym yet if she wants to push that further it's her lookout I reckon - I just don't understand the moans about it or why she doesn't feel so good about herself if she doesn't go and that's where my question, not criticism, lies.

I'm aware that other folks have a different perhaps more competitive outlook than my own, some take it to extremes in various ways, and that has always been the case. I have no idea what drove Scott to take on the Antarctic as he did for example, and I look to the dire consequences, but I can understand why he might have had an interest in the place - it's just that I wouldn't have taken that interest to such an extreme nor in the same way. Horses for courses, each to their own, that sort of thing. I think that's the bottom line - we all have different needs and goals in mind to shape our activity. I can look at that and question it from interest but as long as an activity isn't causing anyone harm I see no reason to have no criticism of it. Live and let live, curious or not.

I'd suggest that "adventure racers" are quite possibly a rather diverse group of individuals that between them will have a whole spectrum of attitudes.

I've done some mountain marathons in my time and I go orienteering fairly often, and had it not been for timetable conflicts I'd have joined a 24 hr mountain bike race last year. You might put all of those under "adventure racing". Since O-results are a matter of online public record anyone can find out for themselves that if I am in it for the glory then I'm either deluded or get by on vanishingly small quantities of the stuff. I do it because I like the odd bit of "adventure racing": it puts a different spin on things. Many are driven by the prospect of winning, but "winning" means different things to different people. There's the "anything short of a gold medal is a failure" brigade all the way through to the "if I can even get over the start line I've proved something to myself" folks. There's folks wanting to challenge/better themselves (I took up orienteering to improve my navigation, it's worked), folks wanting to see what it's all about, etc. etc.

Most racing is some sort of general activity formalised in to a sport, and most sports are appreciated at many different levels. I don't see that outdoor pursuits would be any different.

Pete.

Is this one of the oldest threads resurrected?

Seemingly. That's some seriously powerful necromancy!

Lol! Yes to both the last good gentlemen's well decided deliberations above there. And too it is classic style OM Forum entertainment at its very best though too most probably, in my humble opinion!After all there is life in them thar reanimated zombie threads yet, I do believe folks! The dead walk!!!!!
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 22-03-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Mawr View Post
    Perhaps adventure racers do it because they enjoy challenging themselves. I don't understand how anyone can exercise themself in this way about someone else's pastime. Are climbers glory seekers, are high mountaineers glory hunters and if they are, so what? What has it to do with anyone, does it matter, really?
    Nope, I think essentially what you're saying is likely definitely right there, Mal. It is quite simply really no one else's business but for the adventure racers alone themselves, is it really. Unless they are hurting orther people in their pursuit of doing their own thing that is, perhaps.

It is maybe interesting to note in all of this though, that since the original posting of this thread in 2001 adventure racing has changed an awful lot. There are very many more people out there doing this type of mix of hobbies now, in a mind boggling array of differing disciplines, and so many more events internationally for them to be getting involved with. And it must be said too there are many more ladies taking part nowadays than was the case all those years back ago, when it was largely a male dominiated arena of outdoors adventure pursuits.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...venture-racing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...thinkable.html
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 22-03-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Pretty darned impressive this is here!
    http://www.tiso.com/blog/donnies-ult...-ramsays-round
    Trevor DC Gamble