Thread: Pacerpoles

Mini Goon
    I was up Fort william last week and my girlfriend bought a pair of leki poles. I was very impressed, I got to try them for a bit going down a couple of hills. But being me (that is being joe techno and indecisive) I thought - I better check out pacerpoles first just cos I had read a lot about them. So - there are 5 walking shops in Fort William town centre and none of them sold pacerpoles. In fact a couple of assistants I asked had never heard of them. So - any pacerpoler owners on here? are they the bees knees and why is no-one selling them?

Ta

I think you can order them direct from here.

pacer poles

Not used them myself though so can't comment there.

There's a short list of three stockists on the 'contact us' bit of their page but don't know if it's up to date - you could perhaps try emailing them to find out if there are more stockists.

ken

I don't own any but I have tried them and yes, they really are very good - despite already owning perfectly decent poles they're now on my shopping list.

I don't know why but they've never been widely distributed. As far as I know the only retail outlet to stock them ever is Rock & Run in Ambleside (www.rockrun.com). However they are available and I think a little cheaper direct from Pacerpoles (www.pacerpole.com)

But the only way to try them first is to find a friend with a pair...

Cracking design of the handle put locking mechanism is not up to the same standard as the Leki SLS

they *are* the bees knees.
    they are like an extension of your arm due to the excellent handle design - you could lean all your weight on one for ages in comfort unlike a convential pole where the wrist strap supports your weight. one would make an excellent walking stick.
    you don't have to adjust the length as often like a conventional pole too as you place them differently - you use them in a slightly different style to conventional ones.
    they are "heavy" though so would only recommend them if you use poles all the time rather than just occassionally.
    the handles sit lightly in your hand and are not strapped in. lift them up and just let them swing back for the next step whilst loosely holding the handle. no more sweaty hands.
    they come with rubber ferrules and a stuff sack (got mine from pacerpoles as the link above).
    as rob says, the locking mechanism requires a bit more effort to be sure but once locked they're fine.

Mini Goon
    Parky, what are they like for steep descents?

I cant get my head around how to use the handle coming downhill, but my imagining is based on pictures on pacerpole website as i've never seen them in the flesh. Until I tried my partners poles last week i had never been tempted but after a half hour shot I was impressed at both uphill and downhill use.

for steep bits you can put on the wrist strings (in an atrractive bright orange colour) in case there is a danger of your pole skittering away into a void.
    i find them far superior to normal poles because of the arm extension thing. your whole weight goes down your arm, through your hand (think putting your hands on the arms of a chair and using them to lever yourself out) to the ground making a straight line. and no strain anywhere. this is more stable than everything resting on a wrist strap.

the handle use is simple. put pole down, lean on it. they stopped the wind assisted traverse of a south downs downs slope descent last saturday.

the natural motion of the pole and your hand alignment uses the weight of your forearm to help propel you - use more effort if you want to.

Mini Goon
    Makes sense Parky - like your chair leverage example. Pacerpoles it is then !.

Thanks All !

Matt C wrote "... but the only way to try them first is to find a friend with a pair". Pacerpoles used to offer a full money - back (apart from postage) if you weren't convinced after trying them. Don't know if the offer still stands. Ask them before you buy.

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    Ah-

Just bought myself a new deer antler thumbstick !!!

;-)))))