Thread: Roundthwaite near Penrith

Hi peeps,

Does anyone know whether there's a public car park in Roundthwaite, near Penrith? I'm planning to go walking over Easter and need a place to leave the car. The proposed starting point is just off the M6 between junctions 37 and 38, but I'm looking for a safer place to leave the car.

Any ideas or local knowledge very welcome

Are you referring to Roundthwaite near Tebay? If so, there isn't a public car park there as far as I'm aware.

What I usually do is call in at the Cross Keys and ask if it's OK for me to leave my car in the pub car park. They've never refused me yet, probably because I always end up having a meal or a drink there after I've finished my walk.

You could try on spec when you arrive, or give them a ring on: 015396 24240.

That's the one, Lorraine. Is the Cross Keys in Roundthwaite? Sounds like a good plan, thanks

No the Cross Keys is in Tebay village a mile or so north of Roundthwaite. It's on the main road that runs through Tebay. There are only two pubs in Tebay, so you won't have any problems finding the Cross Keys. If they won't let you park there, then there's plenty of places to park along the road in Tebay itself - I'm sure that it will be safe enough.

Roundthwaite itself is even smaller, just a couple of houses, clustered around a beck on the other side of the M6 from Tebay.

Well, who would have thought it - was visiting a pal in Nenthead today and his mate turned up.
    As it happens - the pal's mate lives in Roundthwaite (!) - he said it was the "right" side of Tebay to live, for some reason.
    Sooooo - I asked him about car parking - and he says that Tebay parish council had some parking places made in Roundthwaite specifically for walkers - complete with litter bin, which one of the locals empties..... So ten points for the people of Tebay and it's Roundthwaite suburb - and its nice to know that the locals are friendly.

Ta v. much indeed to both of you I thought there must be something there!