Thread: Ultimate trip needs tent?

I?m planning and going to do a worldwide backpacking adventurous trip of a lifetime, minimum of 5 years or even more. Be in some extreme condition, example from deserts to coldish condition & rain forest etc. Another words every continent there is except the poles as well waking up in beautiful places around the world.

I?m trying to choose the "best tent" for this trip starting later in the year. I?ve been looking at Terra Nova Voyager and the Hilleberg Nammatj, Nallo 2 tents, all newer 2006 versions. But I can?t decide which or what tent to take. I only accept a tent, which is up to 3kgs, 2man, a reason size porch for cooking and a 4 season. Or though I am going to go solo on this trip.

Hilleberg has advice me that the Nammatj is a better tent then the Nallo as the Nammatj offer higher UV, abrasion resistance and suited to high-grit environments such as deserts but then the Nallo is lighter.

Terra Nova Voyager Tent ? 2.19kg
    Hilleberg Nammatj 2 ? 2.8kg
    " Nallo 2 ? 2.1kg

What would you recommended out of the three or any other tent manufacture?

i think you may have to plan on using several tents over the 5 year period.

you'll buy the first b4 you leave and then replace it 1/3of the way round. so choose a tent that has worldwide reputation and stockists/distributers along your route.

For me i'd go with the hillberg given you limited shortlist.

Thanks, but that would cost me a small fortune on the way using several tents over the 5-year period.

What would you recommend any other tent manufacture? As stated

not everything everywhere has to be expensive and full price.

what happens when some of your kit gets stolen? (through whatever circumstances)

do a bit of research into places where you can replace kit, you may not be able to get Terranova or Hilleberg, it doesn't mean that there is nothing that will be adequate for your use outthere.

will a tent which is not the new 2006 version and will now cost a bit less be adequate for your intended usage.
    Is the new version such a large improvement over the 2004/5 version of the tent.

I have been a Nallo owner for fout or five years now. It has been in some pretty rough conditions and has stood up to al punishment that is thrown at it.

Thw Nammatj is a big tent, with lots of room that is great in very bad weather. For that alone it may well be worth the investment.

It depends how many of you there are. A Nallo for one person is a palace. But for two - and for your requirements - I might consider the Nammatj - two of you can split the weight quite effectively.

in very extreme conditions space makes a big difference. On this ground alone I'd go for Hilleberg, And I'd take their advice - if they've reckonded the Nammatj for your conditions I'd be very secure in going with their advice.

Goon
    Depends were youre going what youre doing but for me during 9 months in Africa probably 7/8 months of which i camped i found a tent way to hot and stuffy.spent most of my time on a karrimat with at most a mosquito net,yeap come unstuck a few times but deserts in a tent?yukk.
    Done any long trips before?If i had a pound everytime someone said to me im going for x years and come back within a year...especially once they get ill.
    On a more positive note ive used a saunders spacepacker for trips,not to heavy either when ive posted the thing home or had it posted out to me.

come to think of it the only times i slept in a tent in Africa was when camped
    -next to a river/lake (not liking those things which come out of the water at night)
    -where there are loads of baboons hyenas et al wandering about
    -where there were lots of mozzies
    -in not particularly secure town campsites
    -when it was actually raining

Generally I just slept on a rug under the stars. you might be out in the desert but that doesn't mean you won't get wet, there may be no rain for miles but there can still be a heavy dew. (mostly i couldn't be bothered with putting a tent up everynight and taking it down the next day)

Ive gotta say iron cactus i think you a bloody optomistic thinking that one tent will last for 5 years.

Thats 1825 days.

Ok so lets deduct 30% to take into account sleeping on trains/busses and hostels etc that still leaves 1277 days worth of UV, rain, wind, sand, snow, pitching and taking down stresses.

What i think you need to do is maybe look at several very good quality slightly cheaper tents, that are heavily discounted in the sales, you could pre buy and have a mate post them out to you as and when required.

Say a good winter 4 season tent for when you cross that sort of terrain and then a very lightweight tent for the more clemant areas that you will pass through.

I just know how long a tent works for b4 it starts failing as i run my tents until they start failing. Ground sheet is 1st then the fly goes brittle and punctures when your putting poles in. just wear and tear kills tents in a surprisingly short space of time.

Ask the manufactures how long they expect a fly/tent to last in continuous use and they start saying words like...

conditions
    uv exposure
    rain acidity
    terrain
    temperature considerations

you know general get out phrases of how long they are actually gonna withstand the elements.

Lets put it like this.

My The North Face VE25 was as dead as a dead thing after 8 weeks continuous trekking in northern spain and the pyrenees during the summer months in 2001 and its a very good 4 season tent that you'll find in the worlds highest base camps and polar regions today!!!!

sorry to be blunt but if you put all your eggs in one tent mate they are gonna get well and truely scrammbled.

Drew

Goon
    Drew,8 weeks that seems very short...my saunders spacepacker has done 60 plus weeks in preatty much all weather cycle touring england-turkey/Iran across n.america,down to s spain plus numerous extended U.K trips.Its also been carried and used in some parts of Africa.Always used a karrimat under the groundsheet and the colour has faded to a pale olive colour but it is 21 years old!

Julian, that?s sounds great, a tent lasting all that time. I just say that if anyone owns a tent, just keep maintaining it and get any repairs done. I can be quite certain the zippers will not hold for 5 years continues use, especially in dirty and sandy conditions! So be careful maintenance is important (brush the zippers clean on a regular basis). But nevertheless problems will occur! Would recommend that to anyone bring a couple of meters of zipper + runners, some extra pole sections, and perhaps some extra ground pegs.

Message from Hilleberg: It?s impossible to say. A tent can sometimes be used for 25 years, and it can be worn out in a couple of months if used in altitude and strong sun! But I would say a Hilleberg tent, such as the Nammatj is probably used 10 ? 20 years by many users. Of course the ?normal? user don?t live in the tent 365 days a year!

Well that's counts me out, been "normal", I prefer to be different, makes life much more fun & interesting. )

But nobody has really anserwed my question, What would you recommended out of the three or any other tent manufacture? Shall I use.

My wife & I did a 1 yr RTW trip (including hiking the PCT) last year. We used a stephenson warmlite, which is an excellent tent and I'd highly recommend it. We looked at the hilleberg but decided it was heavier, weaker and less versatile.

My suggestions on the tent front would be either a warmlite, or an inner first pitch tent with plenty of mesh. There will be plenty of times in the desert etc. where you just want bug shelter and as much ventilation as possible. I don't think any of the ones you describe have that - we considered a lightwave but it was heavier and less versatile.

In terms of tent care, we did a few things:
    1) Almost never left it up in direct sun (ie we took it down completely or folded it over)
    2) Rather than use a 10mm karrimat, we used 2 layers of 5mm karrimat, one under the tent and one inside. This sandwiched the groundsheet in protective foam and stopped sharp stones puncturing it. Also meant we had a 'dirty' mat to sit on when hiking & clean ones inside the tent,
    3) We did have to pinch the zipper pull sections together a few times, and sear some fraying fabric edges with a lighter, but that's all.

The stephenson is made of lighter fabric than the hilleberg, so I'd imagine they'd be fine as well. I've previously got 12 months usage from a quasar (albeit going through 4 sets of poles in that time).

I wouldn't bother carrying spares. A mini tube of glue, bit of duck tape and a safety pin will fix nearly anything.