Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compatible gas cartridges

ok ok....so I know alot about tents...especially the ones that have really bright fly sheets Mmmm my favorite!

But the question i have is which gas cartridges on the market are compatible with an MSR Pocket rocket.

Your help and wisdom will be and is appreciated folks.

Drew the tango tent man

All EN 521 screw-top canisters canisters should work allthough MSR will probably threaten you with death by exploding stove if you use any other manufacturers implementation of the same standard.

All of the following manufacturers make at least one cartridge that will fit. There are variations in the volume and mix of gases in the cylinders from different manufacturers so they may give better or worse performance than the MSR cylinders. Another thing worth mentioning is that many of the 250g size are wider and shorter than the MSR version, this would make the Pocket Rocket slightly more stable but would not fit inside some pans such as the MSR titanium kettle.

MSR
    Coleman
    Karrimor/GoGas
    Primus
    Optimus

John many thanks indeed for your input.

Drew

Don't forget to try the cartridges out before you go on the hill as some have had problems with the pocket rocket not piercing the cartridge.Pocket rocket in its case fits perfectly into an Aladin insulated mug .

The stove not piercing the cartridge is usually a cartridge problem and not a stove problem and can happen with any gas stove not just the Pocket Rocket.

Markill and Snow Peak can be added to the list of compatible cartridges.

‹bermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar
    What about the Camping Gaz screw fitting ones? I believe they are different and only fit Camping Gaz stoves and possibly Coleman???

And what about other cookers. I have a Go-Gas and a Primus. Currently I use Coleman gas because that was available when I needed it. What others are compatible please?

Campingaz screw-in cartridges will only fit Campingaz stoves and the MSR Superfly stove. The Superfly is the only stove that will fit both Campingaz and other screw-in cartridges.

GoGas, Primus, Coleman, Markill, Optimus, Snow Peak and MSR stoves will all fit cartridges from the same companies as they all have the same valve.

Coleman PowerMax cartridges are still sometimes available (but are now extremely hard to find); these only fit the Coleman Xtreme stove. These are a totally different shape, more like a spray-paint can, being long and thin.

Broadly speaking, if a gas cartridge is the 'normal' shape and has a threaded top, it will work. Just avoid anything by CampingGaz!

I haven't seen a PowerMex cartridge in a shop in years and Coleman told me they weren't distributing them in the UK anymore, which is a pity as the Xtreme is the only gas stove that works well in sub zero temperatures. The PowerMax cartridges have a weighted fuel line inside and feed liquid to the burner not gas.

I saw some PowerMax cartridges a couple of weeks ago - which annoyed me, as I've binned the stove due to the poor availability of the cartridges.

However, hose-fed stoves (MSR Windpro, Primus Gravity, etc) work just as well as the Xtreme does, provided the cartridge is inverted. It's a bit more faffing around to set up, but the end result is a lot more convenient and lighter than a liquid fuel stove. The only problem is the disposal of the empty cartridges. Far too many are just dumped in the hills.

Hose-fed stoves with preheater tubes that run through the flame work pretty well when the cartridge is inverted, though I haven't found they work quite as well as the Xtreme. I use tent pegs to keep the cartrdidge in place.

As well as cartridges empty plastic meths bottles, Coleman Fuel cans and old solid fuel stoves and wrappings get dumped at popular camp sites and in bothies. It is a problem.

‹bermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar
    Chris,
    Thanks for the info on the canisters.

OM

Goon
    Chris, bit of an aside, but what do you think of this.
    It looks a bit of a bargain. I was thinking of the pocket rocket or superfly but at half price this seems a good starter stove.

Crezzer, this stove is identical to the Markill Hot Shot (both are made by Kovea). I've tested the Hot Shot and it works fine. It's slightly more powerful than the Pocket Rocket and simmers well. For the price it is a bargain. The only disadvantage over the Pocket Rocket is the weight.

My experience with the inverting the cylinder trick is that with some stoves you have to remember to turn them off a while before you want the flame to go out. I guess it depends on the internal volume of the hose and the preheater as to how long this is.

Ultra King
    That's awesomely heavy.
    This is compatible and cheap

But then, who gives a s**** about a mere 50 grms difference?

Ultra King
    The CADAC Freedom is identical to a Karrimor/GoGas stove that is in my possession (about 165 grms) but I paid a bit more for it about 4 years ago

Karrimor/Go Gas became Go System. GoSystem and Cadac are part of the rekri8 group.

http://www.rekri8.co.uk/

The GoSystem Trail Classic at 145 grams and £15 looks good:

http://www.rekri8.co.uk/Go%20System/...ilclassic.html

I have a similar question about the MSR superfly stove, which I was looking at in a shop today.

Was also wondering about compatibility with non-MSR cannisters. Looking at it, the Superfly clamps down on the canister (e.g. karrimor etc), but doesn't actually engage the thread on those types of cannister.

Cannister recommends using only appliances complying with EN521, which it's not obvious that the MSR does.

The non-engagement of the thread concerns me a bit from a safety perspective as to whether a good seal would be made ....

.... or am I worrying too much ?

Thanks !

Ken

Ultra King
    Chris,
    That looks exactly the same as the GOGAS POWER STOVE K2-191 - £8.00 from my link above except that this one from Elliots has piezo ignition.