Thread: The Cheviots

Mini Goon Old Enough To Know Better's Avatar
    Does anyone know, or can see from where they live if there is any snow lying on the Cheviots today? If so, what areas ??

Short answer - don't know!

But... there's plenty of snow forecast for Sunday throughout Northern England.

The plan is to go in from College Valley. Have a look @ the north face of the Cheviot. Might be some snow on Bizzle Crags.

Was up there last Monday and it looked better from afar. The summit was icy in places, but the northerly wind had blown what was loose into the deep gullies in the peat. The tops of the Heather and grass were showing and there was very little snow below about 600m, lots of water ice around. With the warmer weather during the week I doubt there'll be much left but there could well be a fresh dump today as it was snowing a work - sea level.

You must have been typing at the same time as me. Seeing as you know of the place I'll mention it. Bizzle Crags is the way I went up on my own. Having looked at the map and deciding to try it as a new way to the top, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Bizzle Burn was frozen from about 500m to the top and it was the first time I'd tried out my crampons and ice axe properly. Could hear the water running under the ice, which in places shattered under my crampons. Great fun, took about 1hr 45 to the top. guess it may refreeze but doubt it'll last long. If you haven't been there before, the stream steps about 10' between pools and I'd say the overall angle is about 45deg. Nothing too steep but it is hemmed in for a short stretch.

I love it when the Cheviots get a really good freeze. Scooting over frozen bogs is way better than floundering around in them. My last couple of trips there have been in completely different conditions... a deep freeze on my last visit... and a scorching heatwave on a visit before that.

I have lived in Northumberland all my life, not proclaiming to have trod on every blade of grass, but have certainly paid my dues. The Cheviot is a land mark & the highest point in Northumberland, but certainly not my favourite spot. I have stood on her summit only three times, it?s just a long plod with not much of a view @ the end of it. @ most times of the year most steps are knee deep in mud. But tomorrow I have a few spare hours & wanted to get amongst some snow & thought this would be my best bet. Highest point + north facing (Bizzel Crags). Mind you I live 10 miles north of Newcastle, 100 meters from the sea & as I type & look out the window, there isn?t a drop of snow falling. So I?ll see what tomorrow brings??..night all :O)

Well it's tomorrow now!

Plenty of snow here in Cumbria - probably four to six inches even at sea level. Might mean you can't get anywhere near The Cheviot, since all the narrow approach roads are likely to be covered in snowdrifts.

How'd you get on Dave? Did you manage to get the car over the 1:4 to park at Langleeford or do you park elsewhere? When you've been on Cheviot in the past, have you ever gone over to the Hen Hole on the west flank? From the look of the map we might investigate that one later. Just to let you know, if you come out of town on the coast road then head north on the A19, you can see the Cheviot's from the Killingworth slip road if its a nice day, Simonside too I think.

Headed off @ 6.30am this morning, came off the A1 after Morpeth & the snow was deep & driving conditions poor. Rang a friend who lived past Wooler who said road conditions were worse & forecast was for more snow. So turned around & headed back home :O( Had to make do with a run along the beach.

click

Dave, I've found a webcam for the area which, although doesn't look at Cheviot, does look up the College Valley. It's at Millfield Airfield just north of Wooler, and has info of wind dir., strength, windchill, air temp., cloud base and precip. Look at www.bordersgliding.co.uk
    I've uploaded 4 pics from the day to my gallery so you can have a look at Bizzle Crags/Burn if you want.