Thread: Pacerpoles in TGO

Widdler
    I see Pacerpoles got 'best buy' in the latest TGO trekking pole review. Ive been using them for a couple of years now and have to agree they are unlike any other pole and i wouldn't ever go back to a standard pole now. They dont give you sore wrists/hands and feel much more efficient than a traditional pole. I think the fact that they seem to have analysed walking and designed a pole around that rather than using a ski pole design is testament to their success! It does seem strange that they aren't in more shops - I bought mine from a shop in Ambleside but havent seen them anywhere else. They have updated their website since i last looked (www.pacerpole.com) and you can buy them from there but still odd they aren't more widely availiable.

How many other pacerpolers are out there? and what do you think of them?

Rob

.... little me!

Me. I like them, but don't use them unless I have to.

Are they easier to grip with crubeens then?

;-)

Heh.... I have little crubeen trenches built in...

They certainly feel different. I only bought mine because my trust Leki poles had given up the ghost - Pacerpoles were about the same price.

They are beautifully made and - few reviews mention this - they split dpwn into 3 sections as opposed to Leki's 2 - brilliant for stashing inside a pack when you're putting the pack in an airline hold.

Widdler
    yeah i've no problems with the price like you say they are about the same as a pair of Leki's - which are pretty much like any other pole out there. Pacerpoles seem to be unique and are deffinately worth the upgrade from a standard design pole in my opinion. Especially when you consider how much we spend on the rest of our gear - jackets etc.

I knackered my old Lekis and needed a new pair. Saw Chris Townsend's and orderd them online.

They arrived 2 days later and they feel far better than normal poles walking round the house!!

They'll be used for real up Drumochter way on Saturday, so we'll wait and see.

Years ago I wanted to get Pacerpoles, but was put off by the price. Plus the fact that I already had two pairs of conventional poles and didn't need another.

I wrote to them asking whether they sold the handles alone for converting my old poles, but did not get a satisfactory answer. Also, they seem to be rather heavy. If they can find a lighter plastic and sort out the price (either for complete poles or as replacement handles) I'm in.

Mini Goon
    oops i have to disagree, i have to walk with poles all the time,so i decided to try a pair after using my Lekis with handles for the past 5yrs and before that my Lekis with ski pole handles.
    Tried them for a 8km hillwalk and they HURT.
    Gave them a rest and summoned up the courage to use them again in the snow on Kinder last week,cor the pain in the wrist and inside of the forearm to the funny bone was annoying and painful.Also you can only hold them one way so i could not relieve myself of the pain,and as ineed them to balance getting over stiles is difficult as you cannot transfer from one hand to the other.
    I am going for a Biomechanical assessment in a few weeks and i will take them into the clinic to see if they have any ideas.For now it is back to my ageing Lekis and my wonderful Life Link Composite ski poles.
    Hope fully i will be selling my Pacer Poles as they are not for me.
    Any one with any suggestions?? crippled chris!!

Ah, Life Link Composite ski poles - now they ARE wonderful!!! :-)

How much do you want for the Pacerpoles then?

Widdler
    Sorry to hear you had some pain using them Chris. I've lent mine to a few friends now and never heard that they caused anyone any pain! in fact about half of them have since bought them! I think it is imperative to have them at the right height (which seems to be lower than standard poles) and also not to grip them too hard which might lead to muscular pain I would imagaine. Perhaps take the little manual along with you to your assessment and let us know how you get on. I'd be most interested as my hands and arms feel a lot less abused after a day on the fells with the Pacerpoles than when I used my old Lekis!

Took the new Pacerpoles out to Drumochter on Saturday as promised. They are excellent. I'll never go back to old style poles.

It does seem that they are used a little shorter than other poles. This is because the action is so different, the poles only having to travel from your side a little backwards.

I find them much better at descending - not quite sure why this is.

Also, Pacerpoles seem to ensure that you walk in a more upright position.

My only problem has been in tightening them - it is very easy to over-tighten and not so easy to loosen again.

I don't seem to miss anti-shock at all.