Thread: Pyrenees Maps

▄bermensch
    I've had a trawl through Google but I can't seem to find much information.

Can anyone recommend a good series of maps, and a supplier, for walking in the Central Pyrenees? Especially the Luchon/Maladeta area.

Have a look at the Stamfords website - they have all of the maps here (plus shops in Covent Garden and central London)

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/

Two options.

1:50,000 Carte de RandonÚes
    Rando Editions

1:25,000 IGN series.

The randonÚe maps are superb and really all you will need. The map of the Luchon area will probably cover everything that you need. But have a good hunt around on the site.

These are not GPS compatible. For that you will need the 1:25,000 maps, but you really shouldn't need them. The 50, 000 are well marked - better than the 1:25.000!

▄bermensch
    Thanks Andy, top marks, that looks just the job for me!

It sounds a bit odd, but the 1:25000 maps don't have the HRP routes marked on the maps, although they do have the GR10!

For this reason the Rando Editions maps are much better. The tracks are well defined and usually well cairned or signposted. And with a good guide book you shouldn't have any real problem.

For the Spanish side there are also maps by Editorial Alpina - the same Stanfords URL should get you them. Various areas and scales between 1:25k and 1:50k.

If you only want one set of maps then the ones Andy suggested are probably (no, make that certainly) better, but if you like maps and want an alternative view of the area the E.A. maps certainly give it! They come with a tourist/route guide too - OK if you can translate Spanish. And current versiond have improved from the ones I first bought 15 or 20 years ago.

By the way, if Stanfords don't come up with the goods, you can check out www.themapshop.co.uk who give a very good service, I've always looked on their website and then ordered by phone though.

▄bermensch
    I have used "The Map Shop" a number of times and had excellent service. Order 4.30 pm; delivered next morning. I would also vote for the 1:50000 Rando edition in the French Pyrenees.

Mini Goon
    I have in front of me the Spanish Editorial Alpina for the Ordesa and Monte Perdido this is a 2003 edition with the guide book in English.My Maladeta one is in Spanish and the Sierra Guara is avaiable in French.
    They may be bringing out an english or french edition,its worth checking.
    I have used the Map Shop for work and pleasure for the past 15yrs and it is much easier to get in touch with them by phone than Stanfords.