Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which gloves for winter walking and camping in UK??

Mini Goon
    I am looking for a warm pair of gloves for winter walking and camping. The gloves need to be flexible, so mitts are not an option. I have been looking at the extremities range, but there are so many to choose from, especially with there names...sticky, thicky, windy, powerstretch...the list is endless??? My mind is completely spinning with it all. Most worrying of all, I have even started to dream about the things! I would really appreciate any advice or recommendations on this subject.
    Much appreciated,
    Michiko

I find a combination of a thin pair and a GoreTex over glove works best for me.

I use a pair of Marmot Borealis gloves, and I like them very much. They're not GoreTex, but they have a waterproof membrane. If it's *really* cold, I use them with a little pair of Lowe Alpine liner gloves.

I just have a pair of bog standard regatta gloves. They are warm, and have a strip of suede running across the palm and thumb. Do me just fine. Cost me £2.

Recently bought a pair of mountain equipment, mountain gloves from Gaynors in ambleside - very comfortable, warm and waterproof. I think they were around £30 though.

Mini Goon
    Thanks for the information...its really appreciated. I think that I will try some liner gloves under my current pair of polartec ones which I bought for £2.99 last year. I will see how that feels. I get the impression that windstopper gloves do not keep your hands that warm?? I would be really curious to know what people think?
    And I will check Gaynors website out and read about the mountain equipment gloves. I am sure that a shop near me will stock them so I could try them on. Otherwise I may see if the sticky windy extremities glove would do the trick? If not, maybe they will give me a refund?
    Though I did sleep better last night, except that instead of dreaming about gloves, I dreamt that I was stuck in Leeds city centre at 11.30pm and could not get home. I do not know what was better?

I find that windstopper gloves are warm enough in most conditions (except extreme cold), but only as long as they remain dry.

I'm currently using a pair of Mountain Equipment Windstopper Grip gloves. I need a glove that I can use binoculars in so anything too bulky or without grips is out.
    They're warm enough for me and showerproof if not waterproof. I might need something thicker for extremely cold weather but they're generally fine.

I'm always amazed by the complexity and cost of a lot of gloves. I do a lot of ski touring in Scandinavia - so sub-zero temperatures (typically down to -10C), often windy, and snowy so the gloves nearly always get wet. For years I've used Extremities Sticky Thickies and they're brilliant. They're only some type of tightly woven polyprolylene - no fancy "Windstopper" badge and certainly no membrane - but they keep my hands warm wet or dry. They grip well and they're light/thin enough to use cameras, gps etc without removing them. Also they're only about £15 I think so it doesn't matter much if I trash them.

Maybe I'm lucky and my hands keep warmer than some peoples might. I also carry a pair of Marmot goretex gloves as backup but I honestly can't remember the last time I wore them.

Mini Goon
    I saw the sticky thickies in the shop yesterday. I will pop in the shop this weekend. Though the manager is sick of the sight of me. Hopefully he will be on his dinner break tomorrow. I guess I will see what my gut tells me between the sticky thickies, sticky windys, or a thin base layer?
    Thanks for the help,michiko

Ultra King
    Montain Horse do a nice waterproof glove or mitten with separate thumb and index finger which could be ideal for adjusting the focus of your binoculars.

Outdoor designes do an exelnt pair of streachy gortex fleace lined gloves that are not too bulky and good for dexterity. Very pleased with ours.

I use a 3-layer system. A pair of thin seaskinz liner glove (merino) with a thicker pair of Black Diamond drytool (schoeller) on top and a pair of waterproof over-mitt if it rains.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    I've been wearing Polaris Wind Grip gloves (same pair) for 4 years, and the synthetic leather palm has only just worn through on the fingertips (prompted by being worn on a cold, wet day climbing grit at Stanage...).

I suffer from Raynaud's, and these gloves keep my hands warm. They're Windstopper with some additional foam insulation on the back of the hand, and are a cycling glove really, but perfectly good for general use.

I also have a pair of Polaris Hang On gloves that are even older (c. 1998), but they're not as warm. Ther first pair I bought had a manufacturing fault and failed after a year, but I got a replacement pair when I took them back to Cotswolds, even without a receipt. Full marks to Polaris and Cotswold for that one.

I know the OP doesn't want mitts, but I just thought I'd mention for the benefit of anyone else reading who might be interested that I LOVE my Buffalo mitts :-))) They're so warm and gorgeous...

Ultra King
    What ever happened to good old, thick, ragg wool mittens. They have never failed me yet, even in temperatures down to -14°C and while I may have been seduced by sundry hi tec clothing you'll never convince me to abandon ragg wool socks and gloves. They may be naff but they are incomparably warm and very cheap too.
    Having said that, I do carry a pair of Buffalo XL mits as they do add an extra few degrees of warmth on a cold, benighted campsite in the middle of winter.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    I too got a pair of Outdoor Designs gloves from Ultimate Outdoors when I was in Betws-y-Coed one pouring with rain day and haven't changed them for anything since and they've gone evrywhere with me, they have never let one single drop of water through, have a lovely feel breathable inner too, single pull to tighten draw strings and have extra abrhasive bits in the right places for srambling....

http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/gloves_sum_shell.html

Plus I can actually operate my camera with them on which is a huge bonus! And there only 120g.

Last winter I was using a pair of fleece-lined Mountain Equipment gloves. They were very warm but almost impossible to get on - especially when they were damp with condensation, sweat or rain.

I've just bought a pair of Sealskinz gloves and used them for the first time on Friday in driving rain and hail. They were superb actually getting easier to put on when thy were wet!

I'll second the Outdoor Designs gloves - got their armadillo gauntlets and their XCR winterflex - both superb.

Andy - are the Sealskinz comfy, then? I wondered whether they might be a bit stiff?