Thread: Looking for a very warm top layer fleece

Looking for a very warm top layer fleece

I am looking for a very warm fleece to wear as a top layer for general walking around.

I realise that I could use a couple of fleeces in layers, as I would if I was doing a proper walk, but this is more for wearing after the walk so I just want the one.

I could wear a normal coat but I like fleeces.

Does anyone have any ideas please.

General walking around where? Rab Classic Berber double-pile jacket for town or genteel country use. Retro is today's black in a fashion sense, or something like that... Got one myself - snuggly warm with a wind resisting liner, great for chilly chilling around town, not great for trying to squeeze into a pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Toot View Post
    General walking around where? Rab Classic Berber double-pile jacket for town or genteel country use. Retro is today's black in a fashion sense, or something like that... Got one myself - snuggly warm with a wind resisting liner, great for chilly chilling around town, not great for trying to squeeze into a pack.
    That sounds like a good place to start, thanks for that

Goon
    Why a fleece? Insulated jackets tend to be warmer for the weight, more wind resistant, and are more flexible. I've got an old LA Aleutian 300 fleece jacket (and pullover fleece), and warm though they are, it has to be really cold to wear them. I bought an cheapish (£35) insulated jacket from Decathalon (I can't afford the ME or Rab equivalent at the moment), and that works really well, either as a top or mid layer.

But if you are after the Rab jacket, they are now called the Double Pile, and will be mighty warm. The ME Moreno might be another contender.

‹bermensch
    Another vote here for the Rab Double Pile jacket. It's very nice to put on after a walk in the middle of winter, or if I'm going to be standing around outside on a really cold day. It might not be as warm as a down or thicker synthetic insulation jacket, but it feels more cosy, and is also much easier to wash. Another jacket along the same lines is the EDZ Yeti, which is quite a bit cheaper.