Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking jacket £100-£150

Widdler
    I'm looking for a decent Gore-tex jacket, predominantly for Lake District fell-walking.

Firstly I'm not sure whether I should be going for a lightweight jacket - how much warmth do these provide?

If I do go for a lightweight jacket, I'm thinking of the ME Firefly or Berghaus PacLite. I'm not fussy about labels, just quality - though having said that I don't want to look like my dad.

These questions answered, is there a web store that is regularly the cheapest?

Thanks to everyone who helps!

Gear Zone (look on the Shopping Partners bar to the left) regularly stocks items for about 10% cheaper than usual. I also find that Venturesport (http://www.venturesport.co.uk) stocks excellent products at discount.

If you can get a BMC discount as well, that might be another 10% off, which will pull the prices of many jackets in the £180 bracket down below £150.

When thinking about whether or not you should be getting a lightweight jacket, there are a few factors you should consider. Warmth is one of them, and I can tell you from experience that ultra-lightweight jackets are not as warm, although a mesh liner will help in this regard (not all people like mesh inners, though). Weight is also obviously an important point, although virtually all jackets are now relatively light compared to similar models several years ago.

I think the most important thing to think about is durability. I bought a TNF Resolve jacket four months ago, and although it was a fairly cheap one at £65, I was impressed by how light it was. This proved to be something of a mistake. Yes, it is light, but it also wears out quickly. Already there are large "frayed" patches at the shoulders, armpits, and around the waist, where the fabric is in constant contact with the rucksack. Water no longer beads on these areas--not even after being repeatedly reproofed--and breathability is now very low. Only the areas of the jacket which have escaped wear are still breathable. Basically I've worn the jacket out already through regular use, and I'm constantly getting wet from my own condensation. There is also a chance that the fabric may wear through entirely.

Goretex Paclite is more durable and higher quality than HyVent, but if you're a regular walker, it is probably worth your while investing in a more durable jacket. Goretex XCR is more substantial, and some Berhaus models now use an even tougher material called "Cassis" on the high-wear areas, which will help to prolong the life of the fabric.

Ultimately it's up to you, but unless you really need a very lightweight jacket my advice would be to invest in something that will last longer. The economics of this are clear: why buy two or three jackets in a year when you can buy one that'll last you for many seasons to come? A heavier jacket will also be warmer and more suitable for winter walking, and will probably have a better hood.

If you think you can lay out the cash, the Berghaus High Trails III might be worth a look: a big investment, but apparently they last years, so you're saving money in the long run.

Widdler
    Gearzone is venture sport?
    work out exaclty what you want then shop for price.

Decent Goretex jacket for walking or
    Decent "waterproof Jacket for walking?

Does it have to be Gore?
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2085417/

Montane make a few in event as do Rab.

Keela make jackets that outperform most but cost lots less.

Paramo a different system. not ultra light but warmer

Have a look in Decathlon if theres one near you. Some good stuff there.

Something I forgot to mention ... sometimes Goretex fabrics don't breathe very well in the humid British climate (in fact, under circumstances they stop working altogether). Paramo and eVent are both better in that regard. I'd recommend you actually go into some stores and try things on, see what works for you.

Will

The Berghaus Paclite is light, packs small, and is fine, really. I use it for backpacking, cycling (commuting), and general mooching about year round. Great for stuffing in the pack just in case - it's so light you won't know it's there. Showing no signs of wear so far and I've had it a while. You can usually find them on offer somewhere.

If you want warmth, Paramo is most breathable, if expensive. It's good in winter, too heavy and hot for summer, but you will get bored with it before you wear it out. Some people swear by them.

If you're not a "Label Junkie" why do you want Bore-Tex?

Be different and go for eVENT or P***** instead.

Mini Goon
    Of all the so - called breathable fabrics I have used, Goretex has been the least satisfactory.

The TNF resolve jacket is a Summer Jacket intended to be kept more in the pack than being worn underneath it, hence the very lightweight construction.

Sorry para** lovers, but seriously give The North Face's All Terrain Jacket a try (around 100 to 120 pounds), it keeps you warm and dry, and is of a heavier duty construction, yet is very comfortable to wear, try it, and it's highly likely you won't want to wear anything else.

Decent mid-way/compromise option might be something like Mountain Equipment's Makalu jacket: 2 ply goretex, mesh liner but pretty durable and (relatively) light. Year round job really (I'm a P***mo geek and wanted something a but less roasting for the non-winter months).

List price is £160 but I snapped a red up for under a £100 from Cotswold (aarrggg!)since they can't shift 'em as black is the "in" colour at the moment.

How do you edit posts here? My last was riddled with typos?

I think that there is Mountain Equipment Matrix's available on Cotswold online for £140. This seems like a reasonable deal to me for something which might be a good compromise for you. It is quite lightweight as it uses a mixture of paclite, reinforced with XCR in the areas where you need it. I don't have the jacket myself (but there are reviews on this Site) but have the matching Salopettes which I think are great.

If you're happy with Gore-Tex and are looking for a walking jacket suitable for Autumn through to Spring, rather than Summer then I've been fairly happy so far with the Berghaus Storm - I posted a review yesterday, and it's widely available for under £150 online. It's not ultralight (not dreadfully heavy though), but it is pretty tough.

Go Outdoors are selling the Rab Corrie jacket for £99, it's a lightish 3 season jacket made form eVent. I've just bought a Rab Lofoten jacket made of eVent and am very happy with it after one wet and windy trip. I have heard some reports that people find eVent colder than goretex but I didn't notice this.

Widdler
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'm certainly up for making a saving by not choosing Gore-tex. So, I guess a follow-up question is to ask for your personal experiences with eVent, Hyvent and other alternatives on the market. (Thanks to 'Late as usual' for the related MSN link.)

Thanks again!

Will, where do you live? If anywhere near Castleford then I would recommend a trip to the Lowe Alpine discount shop at Freeport. They may well have some old Event jackets left going for a song.

Jackets with linings (eg two ply GT) are slightly warmer than the paclite type efforts but that is not always a great bonus in summer! Lightweight jackets are not as durable as the more solidly built but take up a lot less room in your rucksack and weigh less. You may be able to increase your warmth by wearing a slightly thicker base layer or something.

As an aside I have a LA Flash, old school style 2 ply Triplepoint ceramic. Built like a barn door, weighs a ton but thoroughly reassuring as you know nothing is going to destroy this jacket. I picked it up for £90 at Glashoughton. I also have a LA Rush (bog standard Triplepoint) for £45 from Field and Trek. My new favourite jacket! Not as solidly built, won't last forever but for £45 then who cares, also I mostly wear a pertex so the waterproofs don't take much of a bashing. With the Rush I fitted a rope, fleece, crampons, full waterproofs, VF cowtails and a survival bag in a 30l rucksack in the Dolomites. The full on jacket normally takes up about ten litres on its own!

It sort of depends on how much weight you want to carry, how dry you are happy being, what level of activity you anticpate and (most importantly for me!) how much money you want to spend. In my experience fit and venting are more important than issues of materials, but others may disagree.

Widdler
    I live in Balham, south London but work in the thick of Covent Garden's outdoors shops cluster. Great for trying-on but not so useful for spending anything less than £300!

Ongoing thanks.

Widdler
    http://store.securehosting.com/store...p?itemcode=377

Top end Keela Munro at a best price I have found. Made in Scotland, will cope with anything.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Most people seem to find eVent performs far better than Gore-tex, in that it breathes much better, as there's no PU layer to get in the way (eVent and Gore-tex use different means of preventing contamination by body oils; Gore use a thin PU coating, eVent does not).

This gives a good review of the breathability of the various fabrics. Note that eVent is largely unaffected by relative humidity, whereas all the fabrics using PU (including Gore-tex) vary with relative humidity.

I have the Berghaus Storm II, and have had it for 2 years. I hate the colour (bright blue) but it's served me really well, the breathability is perfectly adequate for a fit walker. I only encountered problemss with the breathability when absolutely hoofing it up helvellyn with a heavy pack. There are nicer jackets around, but for the price (~£150) this is pretty good and will last ages.

Lightweight waterproofs are good for the summer, but I choose to wear my heavy gore jacket when in the lakes for a few reasons: 1. Fell walking is not an activity where you need amazing mobility, so the more relaxed cut of my berghaus jacket is more comfortable than my Patagonia Rainshadow. 2. Most paclite-style jackets are not reccommended for use with heavy packs (which I carry 80% of the time)