Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GR20

Love this debate about getting out of your pit in the morning!

Ron Moak of Six Moon designs (packs and tarps and tents mainly) advised me last year that if you can get ten PCT miles done before 10am then you've got the day's mileage in the bag, whether it be a 20, 30 mile or even longer day.

I think I managed a 10-B4-10 day once!

I'm the bloke who lies in his bag for hours, until his bowels insist that he gets up and digs a hole, fast!

But, then, I hate taking more than an hour to get going; once I'm dressed, I like to be off asap. Hangover permitting.

And please, Andy H, no jokes about wanting to get to a latte shop for breakfast!

Best be careful on Ben MacDui after dark, Chris.

That BGM is going to get you in the end!

I can think of many things to worry about on Ben MacDui (descending in a blizzard is fun) but the BGM isn't one of them!

I often intend to get up early, but rarely achieve it. A bit like John, what normally drags me out of my pit is an urgent need to nip to the loo, but I normally get straight back in again as a sort of reward for tearing myself out in the first place.

Having said that, and as long as it's not a very wet, gloomy day, I generally find that that there's very little to equal the beauty of an early start. I started at 6am from Easter Lednathie to Edzell on the penultimate day of the Challenge this year, and it was just gorgeous! And I had an equally exhilarating 5am start from the 18 mile bothy to Kirk Yetholm on the PW last September, in order to get there in time for the bus home.

Despite all that, though, I still only seem able to drag myself out early when there's absolutely no choice

Widdler
    >I can think of many things to worry about on Ben MacDui (descending in a blizzard is fun) but the BGM isn't one of them!

Ha! Townsend, eh?

We'll see about that

Hahahahahahhahaha!!!!!

BGM, I'll say hello if I see you!

Not that I'll be up that way again for a few weeks I'm off to look at a bigger hill Wednesday and will be away 3 weeks leading a trek to Everest Base Camp.

Widdler
    Hmmm...

"Hello. Do you have a return ticket for one from Inverness to Kathmandu in November, please? Great! Yes, it's Mr B.G.Man, thanks. Yes, a window seat please..."

LOL :-)

I only just got back from a patriotically wet and muddy mid Wales, so I only just got to see Cameron's GR20 feature in TGO. I didn't realise, when I met Cameron and Chris, just what an ordeal their first day on the trail must have been. They looked very relaxed once they were past the halfway point!

Having climbed uphill from Calenzana to the Refuge d'Ortu di u Piobbu in both summer and winter, all I can do is to urge people to get it right on that first day, or risk having the whole trip go horribly wrong. On the other hand, coming downhill to Calenzana, as I did last time I was there, is an absolute picnic compared to the ascent!

Goon
    Surprised the Corsica article didn't mention the fantastic swimming in mountain pools and rivers - my main memory of the Corsican mountains, just diving or jumping into deep crystal clear pools to cool off. Fango Valley particularly sticks in the mind.
    What about a feature in TGO celebrating mountain swims? What are your favourite spots? There's a great waterfall pool halfway down the north side of Ben More on Mull, with seaward views and ledges for diving.

If the refuge showers were bust, or if there was a long queue for the showers, then I was more than happy to soak in a pool if there was one nearby. Pure bliss, since the water is never really cold in the summer. No harm in doing this if you're just hot and sweaty, but not if you're covered in oily suncream and never take soap into a river!

Widdler
    Dug this old one up again, but heading there in Sept and planning to do south to north. Anyone done this? Do I just read Paddy's book backwards?

I haven't done it south to north but I can see the advantages - the hardest scrambling and toughest terrain comes at the end. However there is a tough initial climb. We met quite a few people heading north, including Paddy, so maybe his revised guidebook will include south-north info!

Widdler
    Thanks Chris, I shall await Paddy's guide with eager anticipation.

ps done anything on Chile ????

I've never been to Chile or anywhere in South America. I believe it's wonderful!

South America is on my hit list of places to explore.

Widdler
    Chile thread duly started under 'Travel'
    ;o)