Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvey Maps vs OS?

Mini Goon John-Paul Shirreffs 2's Avatar
    Ok, so what's your preference? Harvey Maps or Ordnance Survey? I found the Superwalker of Skye Ridge a revelation after years of losing sight and sanity with the OS Pathfinder based offer! Don't get me wrong no-one will be able to (or attempt to) replace OS but I'm looking forward to the 1:40000 Lakes map, published with the BMC.

What do you use OM'ers?

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    For Scottish Highlands Harveys are so much better than the OS 1:25,000 maps. But in most cases OS 1:50,000 perfectly adequate. Problem with OS 1:25,000 is that there is just to much information especially contours. Of course they are of much more use in lowland areas.

Harveys maps for me - for one thing they're much less bulky than laminated OS maps - also they just have the information I need, not lots of information which is really superfluous to walking.

As has been said in previous threads it is what you are used to. 50000 normally with Harveys for Skye.

When there's a choice I use Harveys. They leave off all sorts of clutter and use the space to put in stuff you really need to know, like where the boggy bits are! I used them exclusively over the past three weeks in Scotland.

My only problem with Harveys is that they don't cover the whole country... but they're getting there!

‹bermensch
    Harveys.

Better paper; more logical coverage; no "ghost" r.o.w in England & Wales; contours make sense; better titles; sexier-looking.

Harveys Harveys Harveys.

Harveys for me. Water resistant, and don't fray at the seams. Much more robust, and therefore better suited for the constant in-out use that I subject maps to.

OS 1:50,000 is the best map in the world and I have been using them all over the world. However, Harveys 1:25,000 works for me, more clarity, less cluttered and easy to use at night. I don't trust the waterproofness of the map though, as water will always get in through the cracked creases.

Walk with a OS 1:50,000 in your pack and the Harveys 1:25,000 in your pocket and you have the best of both worlds.

OS 1:25K

All the detail and field boundaries you need. Harvey's maps are often at a strange magnification (1:40,000 what's that ffs) and miss out so much detail.

I don't care what scale my maps are... 1:50,000 or 1:40,000 or 1:25,000 or even 1 sausage to 1 banana! Just cover it in 1km squares and I'm happy!

JJ - yes Harveys do miss out so much detail - that's what's great about them! ;-)

Agree OS 1:25K are good at low levels and even for higher "flatter" areas such as North York Moors but for mountainous areas they are useless. That's not to say they are bad maps - just depends where you are.

Robbie - glad I'm not the only one who uses both Harveys 1:25k and OS 1:50K at the same time!

I like Harveys and I've found the maps very waterproof and tough. My Cairngorms 1:25,000 one is eleven years old and has been used hundreds of times in every sort of weather. It's beginning to tear at fold corners and along some of the crease lines but is still usable. My only complaint is that the eastern edge is half way down the hillside and omits Glen Feshie.

I've always used OS 25K maps, but I guess that's just my Scouts education. :-) I've learned to read the 25K map instinctively and it's daunting to be faced with the prospect of trying to get used to an entirely new scale.

I am intrigued by the seemingly clearer Harvey maps, though, and I may buy one to see what they're like. If I can get used to the 40K scale, they may be better for my uses ...

Most Harveys maps are 1:25,000 these days. I haven't used one of their 1:40,000 ones in many years. I also use OS 1:50,000 maps as I prefer these to the OS 1:25,000 maps, which I find cluttered. Like Paddy I don't find any problems switching between scales because of the kilometre squares. When I go to the States and use 1:24,000 maps without a grid it does take me a while to get used to them again.

Harveys do come in 1:25k as well.

See:
    http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog...perwalker.html

‹bermensch
    Alex- Harveys do 1:25,0000 scale too in the "Superwalker" series (limited coverage)but they use the same mapping as the 1:40,000 maps.

Never seen Harveys maps.

I have OS1:25k for Snowdonia. It's one of my most coveted possesions. I've only got 1:50K of the Lakes 'cos it'd take too many 1:25k to cover the area. Whenever I'm in the Lakes though I really miss the detail that's omitted from the 1:50k. For example, when walking off path it's a real bugger not having the field boundaries and other such linear features.

And yes, 1 square to 1km please.

Just to clarify, even the 1:40,000 Harveys still use 1 square to 1km.

I would have to admit I was very wary when I first used Harveys - I think you get so used to OS 1:50 and 1:25 and lets face it until recently that's all there was. It's only when you use something different that you realise there are limitations with the OS maps.

Well I've got just about every type of map there is (yes I'm a mapaholic and my name is Michael). I tend towards the Harveys, but as others have said, at low level the lack of fence line detail can be a bit of a pain and the 15m contours can take some getting used to. However for the Black Cuillin on Skye for the last few years I do prefere my SMT 1:12500 map.

I'm a mapaholic too. Wherever I end up in the world, my first job is always to get hold of the best maps of the area, and as far as possible a variety of scales. Looking at my collection, some maps are pretty good, but the majority are dire and should carry a note saying 'not suitable for navigation'.

In Britain we're spoiled for choice, with the variety of scales the OS produce for all parts of the country, and the option to use Harveys for selected areas. If there's a better-mapped country in the world, then I've yet to hear about it.