Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wildcamping in the lakes

Im hoping to go to the lakes and wildcamp for the first time. Im thinking of around angle tarn, but am welcome to any other suggestions, im only going for the weekend and hope to travel faily light and at a fairly lesurly pace.

It's not normally sensible to suggest wild camp sites openly on a forum......but the area you're going to has several very widely known sites. Personally I'd suggest Great Moss, but that's only because it's possibly the finest wild camp site in England. Well known alternatives include Sty Head Tarn and Three Tarns.

Hi Simon,

There are lots of great places to camp in the Lakes, and more or less any tarn would be good. Which Angle Tarn do you have in mind? There's camping at both, but more scope at the one near Patterdale.

Sty Head Tarn is a good one if you're feeling in any way unsure, with this being your first time, because it's easy to get to and not so high up. There's normally someone else there, which may or may not be good, depending on your point of view.

Anyway, have a great time! What kit are you planning to take?

Im just looking at your website, which is giving me very good ideas, im using a vango hydra tent, which i now is heavy but its never let me down and everything will fit in my 60+10 rucksack! any suggestions to make life easier?

Ultimately it just comes down to taking only what you need, and keeping your kit as light and small as you can manage. If it's too heavy then the whole thing is miserable, and unless you're Hercules (or masochistic) you won't feel like doing it again

Here's a list of what I currently take on a w/e's backpack, in addition to the trousers, socks, boots and baselayer that I'm wearing.

Pack (Osprey Atmos 50L)
    Tent (ME Dragonfly)
    Mattress (Insul Mat Max Thermo)
    Sleeping bag (Marmot Hydrogen)
    Stove (Primus Micron)
    Fuel
    1 light pot (MSR Kettley Thing)
    1 light mug (MSR mug)
    2 x lexan spoons
    Pan scrubber
    J cloth
    2 x 2L Platypuses (1 rolled up for use at camp)
    Food (2 lots of Beanfeast and Smash 4 evenings; bag of GORP 4 grazing; hot choccy; flapjacks for lunch)
    RAB Photon Hoodie
    Waterproof jacket
    Waterproof trousers
    1 x spare socks
    1 x spare baselayer
    Hat (Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap @ moment)
    Good gloves
    Buff
    First aid kit
    Penknife
    Lighter
    Camera
    MP3 player
    Book
    Map (with Ortlieb case if not laminated)
    Compass
    GPS (Garmin Geko 201)
    Pacer poles
    Small camping towel (for drying inside of tent)
    Watch

Not all that is essential in an objective sense, but it's what I like to take, and can fit into the pack.

I'm not sure how warm your sleeping bag is, but if you get a bit chilly then put all your clothes on and get back in: my bag is only light, and I'm chilly in temperatures below freezing unless I put my clothes on. Very toasty then

Just be careful not to overpack, and don't forget the fuel (as I once did when taking a friend out for his very first wild camping experience... blush! :-)

Oops - forgot head torch - you'll need one of those.

Ive got a Hydra too, but wouldnt consider it for wildcamping unless another mug could carry half of it.
    If you cant afford a top marque 1 man tent have a look on eBay for an original Pro Action 1man you should be able to get one for £20-25 ish, Ive used mine all over the lakes and it was fine.
    Good luck.

ive almost got my friend to join so ive sorted the mug section out! im using a vango ultralight 900 sleeping bag which packs small is is ok! cant find pro action tent on ebay but is is still available at Argos?

I've read elsewhere that the tents now available at Argos are not as good as the original Pro Actions.

I've just looked on Ebay, though, and it seems to me that there's one right here... You'll have to drop a line and see when he/she bought it, though.

Good luck! :-)

Dont get current Argos 1 man; its totally useless.

Ray - did you mean:

www.campinginthelakes.co.uk

Interesting site! Thanks for the link

ditto! looks good

Camped at Angle Tarn Mid July.Drove up to Lakes on Sunday afternoon and set off from Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel Langdale at 5pm.Carried Karrimor Panther rucksack,Vaude Hogan ultralight 1 tent,Snugpak sleeping bag,Primus easyfuel stove,Exped Down mattress,spare clothes & food for 2 night stay.Weather very hot even at 5pm.First bit of wildcamping since 1974(Have been inspired by Peewiglets web site)Rucksack seemed to weigh a ton.Would definately be more ruthless in packing next time round.Very hot going up Rossett Gill-Took me 2 hours to arrive at Angle Tarn.Well I am 50!Beautiful evening & I had the tarn all to myself.Definately a great place to camp.Still & peaceful night until 1am in morning when all hell broke loose.The wind picked up & the rain came down & I had visions of the tent blowing away.It seemed like gale force winds & I didn't get a wink of sleep all night. Poked my head out of tent in morning & the mist was down & still raining.Stayed in bed till midday when weather started to clear.Had originally planned to do lightweight assualt on Scafell Pike & return to the tent for another night.However,with not getting up until midday,I decided to wimp out & beat a hasty retreat. Good job I did,weather the next night was just as bad.Packed up & headed for Grasmere where I spent night of luxury at Grasmere Independant Hostel.£14.50 per night.Bargain.Would I do it again?You bet I would.It is a great experience camping out in the mountains & I hope that next time the weather is a little kinder.Main thing I learnt is to cut down on some of the gear I carried.The Rucksack was far too heavy.Would strongly recommend the location at Angle Tarn especially if you are lucky enough to be there on your own.Now hoping that I can complete the Welsh 3000s before the end of the year.Only Foel Fras to go.Its only taken me 50 years to get to this stage!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jeff! :-)

That's a tough climb up Rossett Gill to Angle Tarn.

What a thrilling experience - most people never have an experience like that in their whole lives. It's a big part of why camping is so exciting, imo. (Ok, so maybe it wouldn't be quite so exciting if the weather did that *every* time...!)

well, this has started me thinking! a friend suggested stickle tarn but it seems a bit of a short walk from the new dungeon ghyll inn!

Hi,Peewiglet
    Yes it was a tough climb up Rossett Gill & I am certain that I was carrying too much gear in my rucksack.Inflatable pillow,silk sleeping bag liner,Exped Down air mattress which by the way was extremely comfortable & purchased after your recommendation.All of these luxuries make the experience more enjoyable but only add to the weight you have to carry.I will have to have a major rethink next time round.

It'd be steep with a heavy sack, but it's certainly a much shorter walk-in than either Angle Tarn or Styhead Tarn.

Another nice place for a first camp is Grisedale Tarn. Park in Grasmere and nip up the side of the hill. It's quite exciting up there too, and you can use the tent as a base for interesting walks up to (for instance) Helvellyn or Fairfield

im looking forward to doing this but am (naturally?)apprenhensive about my first wild camp, ive decide to take my hydra as im quite big and the weight doesnt bother me. any tips or ideas how to get thru a potentially rough night!?