Thread: Highland clearance - your help needed, please

Widdler

Highland clearance - your help needed, please

Some of you will almost certainly have heard of Laggan Stores Coffee Bothy in the Highlands. PH20 1AH. http://lagganstores.co.uk/.

The family that run the place are close to being kicked out of the country back to Canada.

The long and short of their saga is that faceless bumbling British bureaucrats are deporting them and stripping a village and walkers of a community asset.

This article Highland Clearances from the respected journalist Craig Murray explains the situation better I can.

There was a petition started on their behalf some months ago. It needs to hit 10,000 signatures by May 4. It might be a tall order to hit that goal, but if you don't try .. etc

If having read their story you feel able and willing to support them please sign the petition.
    And if you feel strongly enough pass on the link to other people on other forums.
    At 10,000 signatures the government has to respond to the petition.

Cheers

My interest in this place boils down to having visited the stores and experienced what a cracking place it is.

The way this family has been treated is shoddy and heartless.

Not what you want in a rural area if they're trying to do their best

‹bermensch The Tallest of Paul's's Avatar
    i signed it. i remember the first time driving past laggan and thought i was seeing things. 'whats on earth is a shop doing here' . i had to stop and have a look. I probably bought some beer. Thats what normally happens when i go into shops.

‹bermensch
    I signed it too.

You bet I signed the petition.

Family head from a Commonwealth of Nations country, educated, working, children born here, providing a service and rare employment in a remote community, living in and engaging with a community they clearly understand and are valued by, and even with whatever moral standing the study of theology brings? I'd consider it a case of national incompetence if they were heaved out - a complete failure of simple common-sense.

With no political or racist beef to put, I would say that if these people were overstayers from another country which the UK has no allegiance to or from, uneducated, unemployed, and they were hiding from authorities or living by false identity and perhaps at considerable cost to the UK tax-payer, they'd be having an easier and less stressful life and wouldn't be so easy a target for authorities to focus misplaced enthusiasm upon. The mindset behind this nonsense is why the UK is becoming a laughing-stock - all thanks to the unfathomable antics of fools who nevertheless think their incompetence is actually a sensible way to run the place.

I passed that way today. Shop and cafe now shut. http://lagganstores.co.uk/?p=585

Well, doesn't the logic and stand against Johnny Foreigner in this fiasco make you proud to be British? (Vera Lynn and White Cliffs of Dover heard faintly in background, snippet from Churchill about fighting somebody on the beach, shaft of sunlight streams through cloud to illuminate Union Jack, one more tumbleweed blows down the street in Laggan...).

Signed today