Thread: Sleeping back for a cold restless sleeper

Sleeping back for a cold restless sleeper

Hi, I'm looking for a good down bag that has a bit of extra space as I'm a restless sleeper and end up in knots.

Ideally I want something warm as I do feel the cold. For use from this time of year to end of September.

the less space it takes in my pack the better.

any suggestions?

thanks

No mention of available budget, but warmth and room as a requirement alongside minimal pack-size will suggest to many folks that high fill-power down is necessary and that isn't cheap. Not only that, but high fill power down commonly allows minimal pack-size as a by-product of the chase for lightweight and warm gear - these are all things you want but an extra roomy bag goes against minimum weight and pack-size aims so the choice of items that'll satisfy all your desires on balance may be comparatively limited.

Immediate thoughts would be to look at the Rab Ascent or ME Classic range - extra room compared to more minimal cuts however they don't use the highest fill-power down so are not the least packed size or weight, but then again price wont be horrendous. You're going to have to make a personal choice depending on how you view warmth packed size and weight versus room and price.

I appreciate what you're looking for, having had a similar preference. I snapped up a bag that met all requirements except weight and pack size was a bit more than I'd prefer, but a 50% reduction in price from NZ$1000 was enough persuasion to accept that on balance. Never regretted the decision. If cost is not a persuasive factor then no doubt something like the PHD design-your-own service will entertain you.

There'll likely be folks reading who are more aware of suitable products than I am (or at least, there used to be folks reading...) so watch this space - they may know of some direction more suitable than I suggest and pop up to mention it.

I would have said an ME Dreamcatcher, which had elasticated stitching and surplus material round the middle, giving quite a lot of wriggle space.
    Unfortunately, ME stopped making them, and almost everyone is out of stock. There is a 650 at fjellsport.no, which let me get as far as the basket without complaining, but that was it apart from eBay
    https://www.fjellsport.no/mountain-e...650-ocean.html
    Last edited by andrew_s; 08-04-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add link

Almost forgot Alpkit - certainly worth a look. Same comments apply as above where made about ME and Rab products, and general principles around weight/size/warmth/cost. Alpkit have a reputation for supplying decent gear at competitive prices.

Goon
    Best thing is to visit a local store with a decent range - an Ascent will be found at every Go Outdoors, and Cotswolds should have the Adcent and some ME bags as well. At least then you can try the cut of the bag. And if you can make it to Alpkits HQ, you can at least try them too. The problem with buying a sleeping bag is that its got to fit you, and their is no substitute to trying it out, if only to see what the various brands are like for fit.

Widdler
    I sleep on my side (ironically the side where the zip is on my bag...!) and don't like the confines of a mummy bag and twist and turn at night. I have now invested in a down quilty from the states. It has cost me a few quid but if it gives me a better night's sleep in the tent, that's priceless. I went for the Feathered Friends UL20. It should be here next week.

‹bermensch
    If money is no object, PHD will make a down bags to whatever specification you want.

Initiate
    Keep in mind a good mat too.
    A great sleeping bag on top of a poor mat becomes a so so sleeping bag...