Thread: silva compasses

Mini Goon The lesser banishing ritual's Avatar

silva compasses

ok heres my gripe i have so far got through two expensive silva compass both have developed an air bubble when im in the middle of nowhere .unlike my old recta dt220 which is still going strong.
    what are your opnions on silva compasses is it a case of the emperors new clothes!.If that is the case what other brands of compass are there.
    i must note that it was a highlander compass 3.99 that helped me get home(thanks very much to a local shop in castle ton ) not the 39.98 silva compass which went straight in the bin and the mirror compass was even more money than that and developed an air bubble in the blue mountains in sydney that was at the time about 58.90

I remember reading somewhere not so long ago that Silva will replace their compasses if they develop a bubble in them if they're less than two years old. Mine which did recently was unfortunately just over two years old (so I didn't try out the customer service), but I had a spare I won in a competition anyway. It's been my second Silva in about six years to get a bubble. Not sure I'll buy another when my current one goes fizzy as well :-/
    Last edited by Beaker; 06-04-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: missed out two year thing

Bubbles are often down to air pressure. If it drops a lot the housing expands and you get a bubble. High pressure, away it goes.

They're not an issue unless they get so big it stops the needle seeking properly, and it does need to be pretty big for that.

Emperor's New Clothes? Well, it's not like they're the new kids on the block, is it?

Mirror compasses I don't really see the point. If you want a sighting compass get a prismatic which works better and is lighter and more compact if implemented like the 54NL. I've had my 54 NL for about 25 odd years now. It sometimes sports a very small bubble, but works fine.

More often these days I use a Moscow orienteer's thumb compass.

Pete.

New kids on the block love that one!.Well i have bought decathlon c400 military style compass as an experiment .The one thing that worries me interesting in degree's and mils but the degree's is in 5 degree increments but then couldn't you use the mils to get the missing degree's????

Mini Goon
    I have sent compasses back to Silva (Sweden) that were over 10 years old and suffered reversed polarity and they fixed and returned them for free.
    Excellent customer service and the only brand of compass i will consider now.
    If you don't have any luck with the UK distributor, contact HQ in Sweden and see what they say.

i sent the decathlon c400 compass back although it looks well made the compass needle takes a while to settle down and i cant live the 5 degree increments. going by what you said about sending the Silva compass back to sweden its just cost me 7 pound to send a 14.99 compass back to Northampton so sending a compass to sweden forget it unless it one of those really expensive models 70 pound plus

Only Silva I ever had a too-big-to-use bubble in it was a type 54b military issue version in mils. I've wondered if being in an aircraft would cause a bubble with all that rapid ascent and descent mullarky, but haven't seen it occur. Luck or good design, I have no idea.

i have bought a Chinese lensatic compass and although its heavy its absolutely great https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proster-Mul.../dp/B01K7C1LIK.
    its about 336 grams really well made this might be my new favorite hiking compass
    Last edited by The lesser banishing ritual; 10-04-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by The lesser banishing ritual View Post
    i sent the decathlon c400 compass back although it looks well made the compass needle takes a while to settle down and i cant live the 5 degree increments. going by what you said about sending the Silva compass back to sweden its just cost me 7 pound to send a 14.99 compass back to Northampton so sending a compass to sweden forget it unless it one of those really expensive models 70 pound plus
    Why on earth did you pay 7 to send something to Northampton? Special delivery next day is the only thing that will cost that much.

If you send your compass to Sweden it will cost about 1.40