Thread: Thermarest pro 3 not self inflating

Thermarest pro 3 not self inflating

Hi - as the title says, the sleep mat isn't inflating on it's own but will be blown up by mouth... Will a replacement valve sort this out?
    Thanks in advance

Mini Goon
    Prolite? Doubt it as it's a 2 way valve. The foam may be a bit tired. It's common practice to top up by mouth. Is it staying up once the valve is shut?

If there is a self-inflating mat that fully inflates itself, I've never heard of it. SFAIK they're all like mine and take a couple of breaths to complete the job.

I wouldn't say there's a problem with a valve unless it's hard to blow into and a self-inflating mat has little or no expansion when it is open. If the valve accepts air then as Ross says, the foam may not be expanding as intended to draw air into the mat by the vacuum principle.

I'd wonder if the map has been stored for a long time in compressed state before I assumed a fault - they're best stored somewhere dry in an unrolled condition with the valve open so the foam retains an expanded condition and there's fresh dry air inside rather than moist stale air that may encourage mould.

Just bought it second hand. It does stay up once inflated.

Maybe stored for a long time with valve closed. It did make a crumple noise the first time I did it by mouth.

Thanks for info

Storing with the valve closed not much of an issue (though not much point), it's storing it compressed that seems to knock the life out of the foam and it doesn't expand much and draw in air. And the lighter the mat the less foam, so the less actual draw there is to start with.

Thanks all. I will live with it and blow it up by mouth. It was cheap enough not to worry too much.