Thread: Flexible waterproof boot for wide feet

Widdler

Flexible waterproof boot for wide feet

I find that I am more and more turning away from my (6 year old) waterproof boots which although they are comfortable enough, are fairly "clompy" and a little constrictive in the forefoot, in favour of my flexible "summer" shoes for faster hikes and greater foot comfort. However they get soaked even just with dew so I am basically looking for a mid height, waterproof, light and flexible "boot" if such a thing exists.

I thought I had found my holy grail with the keen terradora https://www.snowandrock.com/p/keen-w...4327.3623.html but unfortunately it was too narrow (I have a reasonably wide foot naturally, and bunions on top of that!) Does anyone know of something similar? I usually wear men's shoes due to being a size 8 and the wideness.

Alternatively I could just add sealskinz socks (and potentially gaiters) to my current walking shoes?

‹bermensch
    Try a good boot fitter. Meindl boots may be appropriate but other makes may be a better bet depending upon your foot shape. If you can say where you live other OMers may be able to recommend a good store. For example Open Air in Cambridge are good.

Widdler
    I live near Southampton and my work occasionally takes me to Slough. Looking to spend under 150 pounds

If you just have a synthetic mesh upper pretty much any water will indeed come straight through: they're designed for breathability.

I find that a suede upper will keep off water from contact with grass etc. and the odd puddle, but is a lot more breathable than a waterproof liner which tends to fail after relatively little wear in any case in flexible footwear. I'm fairly unimpressed with waterproof linings, where water gets in the hole in the top (usually wicking down trews and socks) it now has no way out, everything takes longer to dry, and as noted they tend to hole quite soon in a light, flexible shoe or boot. Meh.

"Wide feet" depends on where they're wide: forefoot, heel, all the way, how much arch-height makes it more of a 3d problem etc. In other words, one person's "wide fitting" may not be wide where you need yours to be, so still just try on everything.

I have "wide" feet and get on very well with Scarpa so you might try some Scarpas. My walking shoes are Zen Pros, and there's a mid version if you want a higher cuff to keep stones out and that has a lining if you want a lining.