Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82

Thread: No comment

  1. #21
    ‹bermensch Trevor DC Gamble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom, Tunbridge Wells area.
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
    This forum would benefit enormously if it could implement a 'capping' of the amount of threads a person can start in a 24 hour period - say 2 or 3?

    I don't mean posts, just new threads. It would also thwart the spammers.
    There is already actually, think it is one a day as a limit - possibly that is one per person per section, say ie Gear, Soapbox etc - and has been now for quite some very long time under the new administration of the current relaunched OM Forum. As for me I do not even do a new thread every day even, so am nowhere near their current cap limit anyways, if you had even cared to bother to check that actual fact out before launching into your tired and tedious usual standard tirade again against me. Unless you mistakedly really meant a cap on the number of daily posts to threads there being made instead, and just got confused maybe perhaps, Glyn?I think the exception to the rule on a cap of threads per day in a single section might well be with the Classifieds sales threads however.
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 31-03-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

  2. #22
    ‹bermensch Trevor DC Gamble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom, Tunbridge Wells area.
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Not quite, one person is still very much determined to make this a one man show, then complains about the forum's lack of popularity, that and the fact that the new forum is imo a lot worse than the old forum regarding just about everything (sight navigation, page layout, great big banner ad, needing to sign in thru social media to comment on articles etc etc)

    I very much miss the daily friendly banter.

    I would like to refer you to an early episode of the West Wing US tv show on that one. From the episode called "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" which is the second episode of the first season of The West Wing. As it just plain reminds me most strikingly of the such. http://westwing.wikia.com/wiki/Post_...go_Propter_Hoc

    'Toby and C.J. discuss how a group declined an invitation to have a photo op with the President because the President made an off-color joke. We later find out that the group is the Ryder Cup team. When C.J. tries to use it as a chance to discuss the President's sense of humor and points out how a similar joke helped them lose Texas in both the Primaries and the general election, the President responds by telling her that on her tombstone it'll read "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc." Leo translates this to mean "After it, therefore because of it." Bartlet explains that the statement means that because one thing follows the other, it is caused by the other but that this "isn't always true, in fact it's hardly ever true." He tells CJ they didn't lose Texas because of the joke but asks her when she thought they lost Texas,"when you learnt to speak Latin?" She replies, "go figure" responds Bartlet. '

    Similarly the gradual sad deterioration of the forum here at OM from how it was in its beloved busy and thronging heyday is not down simply to my posting here, nor to any other one individual person posting here either; but instead it indeed is resultant to a whole number of other given factors most likely. Particularly including the fact that people seemingly all just gradually got plain bored of this forum for very many different reasons all of their very individual own, long before I ever even returned here a mere year and a half or more so ago now! Indeed it was decidedly in decline for the number of people then reduced in the regular posting here, as can be evidenced by the many posts at that time around my arrival back, who were vociferously complaining about the fact. I remember them well as unfortunate OM post themes. Anyone who claims otherwise is plain deluding themselves, trying to directly mislead others, seek a convenient scapegoat sacrifice in a single person, and making themselves look downright stupid to the many in the doing so, to be perfectly honest I believe.
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 31-03-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

  3. #23
    ‹bermensch Trevor DC Gamble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom, Tunbridge Wells area.
    Posts
    4,894
    Again, I feel that I need to remind everyone on here who are guilty of all so gleefully rushing once more to join the lynch mob posting insultingly towards me here, that I have broken no OM Forum conduct nor posting rules at all to the best of my knowledge. I know this because I checked the fact to be sure I had not done so a year or so ago back, with Jon the then Editor of OM Forum/site, when the previous torrent of bile filled hatred was being posted against me on here by pretty much the self same collective stain of intolerant and scheming posters.
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 31-03-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

  4. #24
    ‹bermensch
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,096
    Trevor, before I go any further I would just like to say that I'm sure you're a very, very nice chap who's intentions are always for the best, but...

    I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that your posts are (99.9% of the time) boring, irrelevant, tedious and hugely irritating. You often find yourself defending yourself against such accusations from not just me, but many other members on here. Are we all wrong? You simply don't seem (or refuse) to realise that your monopolising of the forum is, at best, deterring others from posting, and, at worse, driving people away.
    Anyway, keep up the good work, soon it'll ALL be yours.

  5. #25
    ‹bermensch Trevor DC Gamble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom, Tunbridge Wells area.
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
    agreed. ...and so much irony in his last post, I'm 100% convinced it's all a wind-up - he knows what he's doing

    Glyn, if you do not believe that I one hundred percent have done excactly as I said there, then I invite you to do your homework for once and look back to those such stated site issues feedback threads, to be certain that you are in fact one hundred per cent wrong here once again!
    Trevor DC Gamble

  6. #26
    ‹bermensch Trevor DC Gamble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom, Tunbridge Wells area.
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
    Trevor, before I go any further I would just like to say that I'm sure you're a very, very nice chap who's intentions are always for the best, but...

    I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that your posts are (99.9% of the time) boring, irrelevant, tedious and hugely irritating. You often find yourself defending yourself against such accusations from not just me, but many other members on here. Are we all wrong? You simply don't seem (or refuse) to realise that your monopolising of the forum is, at best, deterring others from posting, and, at worse, driving people away.
    Anyway, keep up the good work, soon it'll ALL be yours.
    Why, are you threatening that you're leaving me then?Know what I think? There will always be bullies, and bullies will always be bullies, behaving that way since it is in their very nature to so decide to so be. Kind of makes me think a mite bit of the famous story concerns a farmer who finds a viper freezing in the snow. Taking pity on it, he picks it up and places it within his coat. The viper, revived by the warmth, bites his rescuer, who dies realizing that it is his own fault.....for trusting not a snake to be a snake by it's very discernable and obvious openly declared nature. If you do not know of the original style tale perhaps you might be more familiar with the more modern day equivalent version maybe instead. ie -

    'THE OLD WOMAN AND THE SNAKE: A PARABLE
    An old woman was walking down the road when she saw a gang of thugs beating a poisonous snake. She rescued the snake and carried it back to her home, where she nursed it back to health. They became friends and lived together for many months. One day they were going into town, and the old woman picked him up and the snake bit her. Repeatedly. "O God," she screamed, "I am dying! Why? I was your friend. I saved your life! I trusted you! Why did you bite me?"
    The snake looked up at her and said, "Lady, you knew I was a snake when you first picked me up."

    Excerpt by Hunter S. Thompson '

    Same basic idea really, of a thing by its true nature being essentially unable to be any other way. What a pity! I believe that if there is indeed one thing poisoning this forum here to its very core then it is those folks posting literally practically nothing but continuous bad feeling, insult, blunt overt disingenuousness and irritability in their regular pot shot sniping on here, most sadly. All with no seeming self control in their own individual spirit to modify them from doing so; and all devised and designed with seeming scurrilous deliberarte intent to be glad purveyors of spiteful, rude, hurtful comments against others here. A true real shame that is, for definite sure for everyone who tries to come on here to be seeing.

    I rest my case.
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 31-03-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

  7. #27
    ‹bermensch Taz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,108
    Its not just the site that has major issues...

    ps Didn't really bother with reading much of the above...things to do, trips to plan etc

  8. #28
    ‹bermensch
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,096
    ..........
    Last edited by Glyn; 31-03-2017 at 04:45 PM.

  9. #29
    ‹bermensch
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post

    ps Didn't really bother with reading much of the above...
    Does anyone actually read anything he posts?

    It's pathetic - screaming 'Bully!' just because someone points out how ridiculous it's become. Clearly someone with too much time on his hands.

  10. #30
    ‹bermensch
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,902
    My take is that the continued decline of OM is not down to any individual, but has been caused by the indifference or incompetence of the site owners. It did show minor signs of revival when the new lot took over, but they seem to have lost whatever interest in it they had. They rarely do anything or take decisions, and those changes they do make either make little difference or are just bad.

  11. #31
    Super Moderator Metric Kate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    42,518
    I fear you're right, Guy, I just can't get any response from OM Towers to my moderator queries. Whilst lots of stuff happens on social media these days, I still think there's a place for websites and forums like this one. Sadly the owners, as you say, really don't seem to care.

  12. #32
    Mini Goon
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Geoff
    http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php
    "Lightweight backpacking forums"
    Is pretty active. Not massive, but plenty of trip reports, gear and food geekery, and a decent user interface
    They must have been swamped by the rush from OM! Maybe they will be back start of a new month April 1st


    Capture.JPG

  13. #33
    Mini Goon
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post
    I fear you're right, Guy, I just can't get any response from OM Towers to my moderator queries. Whilst lots of stuff happens on social media these days, I still think there's a place for websites and forums like this one. Sadly the owners, as you say, really don't seem to care.
    The deployment of an old version of a forum platform in decline due to poor development (vBulletin) makes me think they've just pulled an old version out from the corner of a hard drive to replace the unsustainable old platform & to test what the community could bring to the new owners. I think we've seen the answer - sweet FA.

  14. #34
    Ultra King Diddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,276
    Trev why not do one for a while and give other people's post & threads a chance to be read or even answered before the usual bombardment of old threads or irrelevant threads really not interesting to most folk ( or they would reply or join in which they dont you just talk to yourself)....
    There said it .....
    I'm with Glyn and everything he says... as for bullying well grow a pair !!

  15. #35
    ‹bermensch The Tallest of Paul's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,224
    Leave the guy alone everyone for fucks sake. This forum was almost dead before trevor came back and the take over just killed it. All he's done since is try too keep it alive. Yeah it's all his posts but if it wasnt for his posts there would be nothing wouldn't there...?

    the forum was a laugh, now its unusable. period. Its bolloxed. Gone.


    but please dont turn this into a witch hunt, remember its a PERSON your talking about- what your saying can seriously hurt them.

    So why not do something else. Take up knitting perhaps.
    Last edited by The Tallest of Paul's; 31-03-2017 at 11:02 PM.

  16. #36
    Ultra King Diddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,276
    its not the first time it has happened...
    Last edited by Diddi; 01-04-2017 at 06:48 AM.

  17. #37
    Ultra King Diddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,276
    ...........

  18. #38
    ‹bermensch Taz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,108
    Its not a witch hunt Paul. He was asked not to swamp the forum, it was also suggested he create a thread for his links so they are all in one place. He chose not to do this but instead plays the victim card. I get the idea he enjoys the attention. He is not keeping the forum alive, he has turned it into a one man show. There is no need for for that. Like I said, why not have a Trevor thread, like Bennachie or Windy, so its all in one place.

    Rant over.

  19. #39

  20. #40
    ‹bermensch
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,096
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tallest of Paul's View Post
    Leave the guy alone everyone for fucks sake.


    remember its a PERSON your talking about- what your saying can seriously hurt them.
    oooh, all big and sweary!

    ...as for the 'it's a PERSON' bollocks, I think you'll find our Trevor's skin is thicker than a Rhino's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •