Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No comment

‹bermensch

No comment

I was having a look over the front page of OM, for the first time in ages, and saw an article I thought I'd comment on, only to find I seemingly had to sign into Facebook to do so. I felt no inclination to do this. If my interpretation is correct, it's yet another reason not to visit the site.

It does seem to be set up that way for some reason. Not terrible a priori but rather odd given the existence of an attached forum. Said forum is remaining near dead anyway, so.....

Yeah, I saw that too the other day, when I wanted to comment on an article on that PHD Down expert chappie!Definitely not so much of a site improvement here then as such, you reckon, lol!The whole idea is that we end up advertising stuff for free for them to our friends through our FB pages I suppose then!
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 30-03-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Hurst View Post
    I was having a look over the front page of OM, for the first time in ages, and saw an article I thought I'd comment on, only to find I seemingly had to sign into Facebook to do so. I felt no inclination to do this. If my interpretation is correct, it's yet another reason not to visit the site.
    Same here. This forum is practically dead. There was a futile attempt to revive it a couple of months ago, but I now think the kind thing to do would be to put it out of it's misery.
    Most days I look at the 'Latest Post's' page with optimism only to see the same old, same old...

Still a small trickle of worthwhile trip reports I guess.

‹bermensch
    ...which anyone who goes straight to the latest posts isn't going to see, as anything interesting or worthwhile is soon pushed off the top page by our resident scattergun poster.

This is my first earnest visit to OM for a while and I find this FB requirement to comment on articles. I am depressed.
    Sorry, but Satan will be skating to work before I have an FB account. In my book, FB are one of the four horsemen, the others being Google, Microsoft and Adobe.

I was surprised by the paucity of forum posts in recent times. It seems that the walking forums, websites and blogs in general that flourished until a few years ago are out of fashion now.

I see what you mean with the FB sign in, a bit bizarre and no I dont like it either. These forums are a nice way to interact with people without being on FB, shame everything has to be linked these days.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
    This is my first earnest visit to OM for a while and I find this FB requirement to comment on articles. I am depressed.
    Sorry, but Satan will be skating to work before I have an FB account. In my book, FB are one of the four horsemen, the others being Google, Microsoft and Adobe.

I was surprised by the paucity of forum posts in recent times. It seems that the walking forums, websites and blogs in general that flourished until a few years ago are out of fashion now.
    Geoff
    http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php
    "Lightweight backpacking forums"
    Is pretty active. Not massive, but plenty of trip reports, gear and food geekery, and a decent user interface

It still isn't the same though. Scottish hills is still doing quite nicely for itself I think? UKClimbing publish stats and iirc they're holding steady.

The rest of the activity has just gone places, I'm not absolutely where.

Nice backpack on the v-g blog
    Last edited by Martin Carpenter; 28-03-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Carpenter View Post
    Still a small trickle of worthwhile trip reports I guess.
    Yes, that particular actual bit of the forum here at OM is definitely still today much the most attended readership wise, if not nowadays for posting wise, at least. The stats on the OM Forum front page attest every day to this seemingly, when I bother to look at them.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Yep, it's depressing. I've tried various means to contact someone in OM Towers about some problems with the Forum (largely relating to the spam attacks), but nobody's home :-(

I know, Metric! I have tried to contact them various times by putting bits on the site help threads myself too, but similarly no reply whatsoever to all postings as yet! Like they are just not interested at all with this forum here and now. Disappointing really, and somewhat demoralising for any and all visitors to the site, be they regulars or transitory folks looking in whilst merely passing on through, to similarly notice this disturbing regular lack of acknowledgement.
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 30-03-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

‹bermensch The Tallest of Paul's's Avatar

Not quite, one person is still very much determined to make this a one man show, then complains about the forum's lack of popularity, that and the fact that the new forum is imo a lot worse than the old forum regarding just about everything (sight navigation, page layout, great big banner ad, needing to sign in thru social media to comment on articles etc etc)

I very much miss the daily friendly banter.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Not quite, one person is still very much determined to make this a one man show
    agreed. ...and so much irony in his last post, I'm 100% convinced it's all a wind-up - he knows what he's doing

‹bermensch
    This forum would benefit enormously if it could implement a 'capping' of the amount of threads a person can start in a 24 hour period - say 2 or 3?

I don't mean posts, just new threads. It would also thwart the spammers.

Popped in for first time in ages...I see things haven't improved... :-(

i used to like popping in here, there used to be a good amount of shared knowledge from a large amount of posters. Now it just seems most of the time that its a one persons bookmarking thing going on, not my idea of a public forum. But hey each to their own.

Mini Goon
    We have moderators now, are they not issued with a ban hammer?