Thread: I Guess Really This Could Easily Happen To Anyone Out On The Coast In A Kayak.....

I Guess Really This Could Easily Happen To Anyone Out On The Coast In A Kayak.....

...if one is not quite careful enough at times of lower tides perhaps! Amazing how much the rescue cost though to be perfectly honest.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...r_Image_Story2

Trevor DC Gamble

See, now I would have called that a canoe! How about you?
    I still am left curiously wondering what the actual book in question was that he was reading? Beginning Sea Canoeing? Cockleshell Heroes perhaps?
    Trevor DC Gamble

That's a kayak Trevor, a canoe is open topped

Canoe ...

There are certainly canadian style or Indian style open canoes I know. They used to make enclosed deck type of ones like in the newspaper there in our old school here locally, and they were definitely being called canoes there in the seventies. I guess that is really incorrect in that case then, using the sort of generic all encompassing term. Thanks guys! Appears to be how much enclosed the decking is, as you can have ones that look more like a kayak it seems, but are a little more open and are still canoes. Confusing!!

http://www.gocanoeing.org.uk/go/index.cfm/hints-tips/buying-a-canoe-or-kayak/

Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 28-03-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

It's not about open or closed, rather it's the paddle style.

Canoes use a single bladed paddle typically used to one side, kayaks use a twin-bladed paddle typically used to both sides in alternation.

Check out the Olympic paddle-sports, and note that C- prefixes (canoes) always have single-bladed paddles and K- prefixes (kayaks) always have twin-ended paddles.

But it doesn't really matter. The fact that the sport governing body in the UK is (and always has been) the British Canoe Union says a lot about the UK take on nomenclature.

Pete.

Widdler
    I'm not quite sure why he needed rescuing. The tide would have returned. All he had to do was wait...
    Last edited by Jonquirk; 29-03-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Damned autocorrect

I've paddled a canadian canoe for years, last year I bought a sea kayak