Thread: Identifying old Mountain Equipment bag?

Widdler

Identifying old Mountain Equipment bag?

I picked up this old ME sleeping bag on gumtree for a tenner - more out of curiosity than anything.

17379705_10155043465691054_1624212700_o.jpg

17342233_10155043466966054_1087913131_o.jpg

17380006_10155043466396054_1250586394_o.jpg
    I'm 95% sure it's down (feels like it), though it has hardly any loft anymore.

Anyway, I don't suppose anyone knows what bag it is? It's about 8ft long, no zip, and no hood. No labels or identifying features, other than the ME logo...

Cheers!
    Paul

You could try e-mailing PHD designs? If its as old as it seems to be then it may well date from the time PH was basically in charge of things there, so you might get a response.

Mini Goon
    It's an old one. Oldest on this page is 1976 & it looks older with it not having a model label

http://www.outdoorinov8.com/mountain...entimages.html

Looks almost design identical to my formerly lovely old, fantastically warm down bag from them in red. Cannot look up the details on the bag though as was silly enough a year and a half ago to lend it out to someone, and they tell me they've managed to get it wet and ruin it with mildew by not drying it out properly. Oh joy. That will teach me to lend out kit. Still not got it back either as I think they are too fearful over it to face me, most probably I feel.
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 18-03-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've sent PhD and ME an email, so will see if anything comes from it.

In the meantime I'll probably try wash the bag and see if I can regain some loft to the down.

Yes, try the Nikwax stuff here, should do the trick nicely I reckon hopefully there, Paul.

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/produc...hp?productid=2

http://blog.nikwax.com/blog/2017/03/...LO1TGY,I8T3F,1
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 21-03-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Flipping heck! Lucky you, Down Wash Direct is on offer from them here at the moment I see too.
    http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb...LO1TGY,I8T3E,1
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 21-03-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler
    Unfortunately PHD couldnt help (Peter Hutchinson has retired from the running of the business), and ME didn't reply to my email.

Seems there was a label inside (where the back of your neck would be), but it has long since disappeared. You can see the outline of the stitching.

I washed the bag, put it through the tumble drier for about 4 hours.. and let it air dry.

It's lofting like new! There's a good 4 inches of loft across the bag, (and loads more in the footbox), which by my estimations would make it about a 0C degree bag!

I would never use it as-is, as I have PHD bag of similar temperature ratings. So I'm going to try to find a seamstress to add a zip to it, so that I can use it in warmer temperatures.

I'm very impressed by the down regaining it's loft. It was in a stuff sack when I got it, and the person had bought it from a house clearance. Chances are the down had been under compression for a LONG time. Especially when the bag could be ~30 years old!

Overall, the best £10 bargain I've probably ever had!

Goon
    Tbh down does last for ages, obviously better if it's well looked after. I've got an ME sleeping bag from 1990 and it's been in a bag in a cupboard for years. I reached it out the other day give it a good shake and it still lofts superbly.