Thread: Knoydart

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    Organising a club trip to Knoydart next year (probably May). Planning to use the Knoydart Foundation bunkhouse at Inverie (http://www.knoydart-foundation.com/). Has anyone used it? Also the pub (http://www.theoldforge.co.uk/). Any comments would be appreciated.

The Knoydart Foundation Bunkhouse used to have uni-sex toilets and showers but they have recently been re-vamped so there are now male and female toilets. Over the past year they have been trying to improve the bunkhouse, but not before time. I stayed in it last year and had one of the dorms that hadn't been upgraded.

If they haven't finished the upgrade ask for the rooms that have been improved.

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    Thanks Lindsay.

Don't think that's an option unfortunately. From their website: "We often get requests for the booking of a specific room and in the past we have tried to accommodate this, but we have found that it leads to too many problems and, in some cases, disappointments. Because of this we will no longer be taking bookings for individual rooms. We apologise for this but feel that this is the only way we can be fair to everyone."

Hopefully we will get enough interest to block book the bunkhouse. It sleeps up to 26, but if we get more than a dozen interested it's probably worth it.

steve,

I stayed in the bunkhouse for one night in october 04 when I was rained off the hills. I thought it was lovely - however I was the only person there. It was clean & modern with comfortable bunks and optional extras such as towels, duvets etc. The showers were unisex with a board on the door denoting whether male or female occupancy !

As an alternative, I believe there is another bunkhouse at doune marine, a camping barn at kilchoen and a luxuary (but basic) bothy which you can rent in its entirity.It even has a toilet However, it's about 30 mins from the (excellent) pub.

Knoydart will be busy in may so book early.

‹bermensch Chris OutdoorsGrubcouk's Avatar
    Anyone stayed at "The Gathering" which is listed as a B&B at Inverie?

I tried to get a booking at the pier ("restaurant with rooms") but they wouldn't reply to any contact -- seems they don't like walkers!

The bunkhouse puts me off as I really hate sharing rooms -- would rather be in me tent!

Zubald,

I haven't stayed at the gathering but its new and supposed to be nice (CD player in each room).

Most suprised at pierhouse. most of their biz comes from walkers. I had breakfast there once and they seems very efficient. Perhaps they're just v busy or internet problems ???

Zubald,

Remember you can camp on the long beach and use the facilities of the bunkhouse if it's not too busy. The beach is about 10 mins from the bunkhouse, past inverie house. Nice spot but can be exposed.

Widdler
    The Pier House is most definitely walker friendly, I had my post final-munro meal there. I also stayed there for two nights. The pub is great beer a little pricey but then it has a long way to travel.
    On my first visit i stayed at Roger Trussel's bunkhouse at Torrie, just up the hill from the village. Quality accommodation, I recommend it.

I also have stayed at Torrie Shieling. It was a couple of years ago when I was taking a lady and her friends round her final Munro. I was fortunate as I had the en-suite room (4 bunk beds). I think there is 12 beds in total but you would have to check.

I was also treated to the post final Munro meal at the Pier House. I have been back since, very nice food.

Don't drink so I cannot speak about the pub but they do do coffee in the morning when you are waiting for the ferry as does the Pier House.

There is also another bunkhouse, diagonally opposite the Foundation Bunkhouse (cannot recall its name) where the workers employed on the new Pier at Inverie are billeted. Apparently it is blocked booked until the construction of the pier is complete. However I have been inside and it is well laid out although I think they charge around £20 per night. Accommodation and food is not cheap around Inverie as everything comes in on the boat from Mallaig. There is little alternative so you just have to accept the high prices.

Slainte.

Hello, fellas! Can anyone tell me are VPNs legal? This is really bother me as they banned some of my favorite resources.