Thread: "really Wild" wild camping !

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    Been caving today, so I was up at the crack of dawn (And np, she is NOT one of my neighbours) taking the dogs out.

Through the local woods, over the stream to emerge onto the local village football/rugby pitch. (Don't think I have ever seen a rugby/football game on it mind ewe)

Anyway, I saw a small tent pitched on the edge of it, abound 20 yards from the road.

As I commenced my daily training session with the dogs, I became aware that the youngish couple were cooking breakfast and watching me. After around 10 minutes I walked back past them to go back through the woods.

I don't know why, but the man decided he needed to "justify" his presence to me. (Might have been my soldier 95 DPM trousers and my cammo bandanna)

Anyway he said, "We thought we would give this wild camping malarkey a go."

"Really," I said as I passed, "don't forget to look out for the dangerous bears then, I hear ,they have a mean looking prop forward. "

I couldn't help but laugh as I recrossed the stream!

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    LOL reminds me of the time I pitched a tent on the disused playground in Talybont. Had been wild caming for 2 nights in the beacons and fancied a nice pub meal, but couldn't think of a pub with a short walk back to a wild camp site. In the end, a quick scout round the village revealed that we weren't going to be seen if we pitched right at the back of this disused field, and it was 2 mins walk from the pub! OK, maybe not strictly legal, and we got a few looks from dog walkers in the morning, but no-one seemed too bothered!

Cara-Lyn, How big was the fire?

LOL no fire needed - it was a stagger out of the pub, into the tent, and then out of the tent into the cafe the next morning!

The 2 previous nights had been out in the ulu, but that was the "get ready to go home" night

I am sure that Herr Flick and I would have dealt with any bother accordingly though but I'm not about to light fires in playgrounds, esp. when the pub was 2 mins walk away

What no fire!... You will be telling us all next you did'nt tear the countryside up getting into the mountains in a Land Rover...
    You will be giving us outdoor types a bad name if you continue with this madness.
    Pull yourself together woman! (I'm surprised at you H.F. allowing this to go on).

Don't forget the lockers or the ruts will be uneven...(don't you just hate it when that happens!).

Well, fire by friction this morning at 10 so have to get some gear together. Now, where's me axe?
    Perhaps back this eve. (forest fire permitting, of course)

pmsl

Ohhhh just seen this post, I was tutting rather loudly at Cara, Don, she broke out the petrol and tyres for a campfire but I told her to put them back on the car she stole them from, she insisted on being within a few hundred yards of the pub, and it was I that did the scouting not Cara !!! the pub did very good food considering, the dead giveaway though were two walking tracks through the long grass from the pub, which next morning looked like they had been made with a LWB landrover with a dodgy axle, not that we were plastered or anything of course, I laughed so much that night my jaw ached the next morning.